Classical music Which classical composers do you know ?

Does Anyone here know the composer of "Liebestraum"? I like that song very much!

That was Franz Liszt.

I know 89-90% of the artist into the poll... and I would add: Joaquin Rodrigo, Manuel de Falla and Isaac Albéniz.

Altought they aren't classical composers at all. I forget this was about classical music. :embarassed:

I love the operas of Wagner and the symphonies of Bruckner, Beethoven, Brahms, Elgar, Vaughan-Williams, Sibelius and Mahler. I also particularly admire and enjoy the late string quartets of Beethoven, and the string quartets Mozart dedicated to 'Papa Haydn'. I am also beginning to realise just what an under-rated composer Richard Strauss was.

I like Beethoven most.

Tchaikovsky Symphony 1812 is great!

I don't see Ravel in the list. But he has nice music too.
La Valse for instance is genial.

But I like most classical music, but not all.

Especially Wagner Opera's are a very hard nut to crack.
Wagner seems to have been busy to over class Beethoven, but never succeeded.

I like
Pachelbels - Cannon
Beethovens - Moonlight Sonata
Liszts - Hungarian Rhapsody
Ravels - Bolero
Vivaldis - Four Seasons
and quite a few other classical pieces.
I just like what I like - but no composer stands out as being the best.

Please note Katchaturian, Chausson, Liszt, Dvorak etc. Vincent D'Indy was a one work wonder, but I really love his Symphony on a French Mountain Air, Oh, and Darius Milhaud's Florida Suite is particularly good.

It is a toss up between the Waltz King Johann Strauss II and J.S. Bach for my favorite composer. There are so many great composers to pick from. I think without question Bach, Beethoven and Mozart are in a class by themselves and then come all the rest. Personally I am partial to the waltz and hence my partiality for Strauss.

Apart from the easy listenning Baroque (Vivaldi, Bach...) and Classical (Mozart, Haydn...),

Excuse me Maciamo,
what do you mean by "easy listening" when referring to Johann Sebastian Bach? It's a pity if you're missing the tremendous logical and mathematical subtleties hidden beneath the Musikalische Opfer, the Kunst der Fuge or the Goldberg Variationen, just to name a few... Just to give you an idea, the sheer aesthetic beauty of his music is doubled on the rational side; I suggest you take a deeper look on the subject, no doubt you'll discover a treasure of wonders.

Last edited:
Btw - can somebody please amend the spelling of Schubert (not Shubert) in the multiple choice poll?
Leave Mussorgski without a "g" if you want - but poor Schubert, so divinely genial and unfortunate, even with the spelling of his name...

/playlist/4elqshpf0ZX6LuF1MOsJEX?si=nYeovCnhTMqu2-SmNm8t3Q

My wives playlist in spotify. Full of musical jewels. Enjoy

Puccini is not on the list. That is hard to believe! What an omission.

Or, a little further down the scale: Donizetti, Bellini, Scarlatti, Corelli, Pergolesi, Rossini, Monteverdi, Palestrina.

Or, a little further down the scale: Donizetti, Bellini, Scarlatti, Corelli, Pergolesi, Rossini, Monteverdi, Palestrina.

How could I have forgotten Albinoni?

I've posted him in the music thread. Glorious piece.

How could I have forgotten Albinoni?

I've posted him in the music thread. Glorious piece.

The "Adagio in G Minor" is a glorious piece, but the modern consensus is that it's not by Albinoni, even though many recordings attribute it to Albinoni.

Musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto (1910-1998) claimed to have discovered a manuscript fragment by Albinoni that he expanded into the Adagio in the 1940s. However, the manuscript was never produced, and no one else has found it. It seems Giazotto composed the entire adagio himself.

It's strange that he didn't want to take full credit for such a beautiful piece, but perhaps it flattered his ego more to pass it off as a work by Albinoni.

I'm not familiar with Albinoni's other works, he may deserve to be on the list anyway.

The "Adagio in G Minor" is a glorious piece, but the modern consensus is that it's not by Albinoni, even though many recordings attribute it to Albinoni.

Musicologist and Albinoni biographer Remo Giazotto (1910-1998) claimed to have discovered a manuscript fragment by Albinoni that he expanded into the Adagio in the 1940s. However, the manuscript was never produced, and no one else has found it. It seems Giazotto composed the entire adagio himself.

It's strange that he didn't want to take full credit for such a beautiful piece, but perhaps it flattered his ego more to pass it off as a work by Albinoni.

I'm not familiar with Albinoni's other works, he may deserve to be on the list anyway.

I know the claim Tamakore, but I have some doubts about it. We'll probably never know.

"The famous Adagio in G minor, the subject of many modern recordings, is thought by some to be a musical hoax composed by Remo Giazotto. However, a discovery by musicologist Muska Mangano, Giazotto's last assistant before his death, has cast some doubt on that belief. Among Giazotto's papers, Mangano discovered a modern but independent manuscript transcription of the figured bass portion, and six fragmentary bars of the first violin, "bearing in the top right-hand corner a stamp stating unequivocally the Dresden provenance of the original from which it was taken". This provides support for Giazotto's account that he did base his composition on an earlier source.[8]"

This thread has been viewed 59380 times.

Back