Classical music Which classical composers do you know ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
And which ones do you like (outside the poll).

I used to like JS Bach, but his music makes me go to sleep these days... Getting too old? :p (Sorry, I found Bach in the list... :relief: )

Oh yes, there's a composer I recently heard of and would like to listen to: Alexander Scrabin. Any opinions on him?

I don't know Telemann and Rameau. Who are they?

Hmmm, I only know a handfull. I've probably heard works by others without knowing it though.

I can never listen to Beethoven the same after Clockwork Orange...

I am not a huge fan of classical music, but I do like some pieces by Johann Sebastian Bach, Debussy, Chopin, Mozart, Vivaldi, Tchaikovski, Schubert, and Beethoven. I have heard of almost all of the ones on the poll, because my husband loves classical music, but I am just not as fond of it as he is.

Samuel Barber (1910-1981)

Adagio for Strings. Excellant piece, better known to general public as the theme from the Oliver Stone motion picture Platoon.

Add: Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904)

Symphony no. 9 in E minor, "From the New World" (1893). Greatness inspired by the Americas.

There are more, but these two will do.

For now.

Ars longa, vita brevis

I'm not sure what you mean by "know," but I know of all of them except for five. I like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Mozart, J.S. Bach, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, and Beethoven (I guess that's all of them). Of course, I haven't listened extensively to them all, but I like the Violin Concerto in E minor by Mendelssohn, the Winter movement of the Four Seasons (well, it's my favorite of them, anyway) by Vivaldi, Symphony No. 40 by Mozart (also my favorite), Symphony No.2 by Rachmaninoff, Sonata for violin and piano, No. 1 in F minor by Prokofiev, Bach's inventions as well as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ (of course :)), and Beethoven's "hits" (Symphonies No. 5 and 7, and Moonlight Sonata). I've heard some stuff by Handel and Haydn that I've liked, but I can't remember them. Also, I've been told to check out Brahms, but I haven't heard much of his stuff. Stravinsky's stuff seems really interesting, but serial music has always been a bit hard for me to swallow, although I find it much more enjoyable now than I used to.

Hmm, interesting thread. I think Sibelius should be on that list as well.

When I was in high school, I really loved music from the Romantic era, like Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Paganini, etc.

Now that I've gotten a bit older, my tastes have changed and now I prefer 20th century composers such as Shostakovich, Bartok, Stravinsky, Berg, Janacek, Martinu, Poulenc, to name a few.

Apart from the easy listenning Baroque (Vivaldi, Bach...) and Classical (Mozart, Haydn...), my favourites are Beethoven, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Richard Strauss, Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner (all the Germans and Austrians :p ) and Shostakovich. Many composers are famous mostly for one of their works. Among them my favourite are Holst's Planets, Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony and Berlioz's Faust.

To know and not to know, what is the difference?
If being familiar with the names count, I've heard most of them.
But to know with passionate love, I would have to list the great guitar composers; Carcassi, Giuliani, Tarrega, Granados, & Albeniz are missing!
Bach, Beethoven and Schubert also loved guitar music.
Guitars don't last long; 50 yrs if lucky.

Art is long, guitar is short!

lexico said:
To know and not to know, what is the difference?
If being familiar with the names count, I've heard most of them.

By "know" I mean having heard the music and being able to identify (if not the piece of music itself, at least) the composer's name when hearing it.

Hey! Why weren't Lennon and McCartney on that list???
:D

Seriously, I'm familiar with Mozart, Beethoven and Wagner. "Ride of the Valkyries" really stirs the blood!
:cool:

I love Polonaise

I threw away Vanessa Mae's CD after hearing it once. I LOVE Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Bizet, Rimsky-Korsakoff, Tchaikovsky, Khachaturian and Chopin.

Most of the people I know like to listen to Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu in C-sharp Minor, op.66 "Andrea Lucchesini." I just prefer Polonaise no.6, op.53 "Heroic." :cool:

mad pierrot said:
Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky count?

I love his music.

:music:

Yes, Mussorsky counts. He is one of those I forgot among my favourite famous for one piece of music in particular.

Glenn said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "know," but I know of all of them except for five. I like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Mozart, J.S. Bach, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, and Beethoven (I guess that's all of them). Of course, I haven't listened extensively to them all, but I like the Violin Concerto in E minor by Mendelssohn, the Winter movement of the Four Seasons (well, it's my favorite of them, anyway) by Vivaldi, Symphony No. 40 by Mozart (also my favorite), Symphony No.2 by Rachmaninoff, Sonata for violin and piano, No. 1 in F minor by Prokofiev, Bach's inventions as well as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ (of course :)), and Beethoven's "hits" (Symphonies No. 5 and 7, and Moonlight Sonata). I've heard some stuff by Handel and Haydn that I've liked, but I can't remember them. Also, I've been told to check out Brahms, but I haven't heard much of his stuff. Stravinsky's stuff seems really interesting, but serial music has always been a bit hard for me to swallow, although I find it much more enjoyable now than I used to.

Oh, Glenn! You left off one of the best from LvB: Symphony no. 9 in D minor op. 125. The second movement alone is unforgettable...it reminds me of an approaching thunderstom.

Also, let us not forget his Piano Concerto in E flat No5, Op73 "the Emperor" dedicated to N. Bonaparte (an early hero of old Ludwig).

I am a dedicated fan of the Man.

Alea iacta est

Last edited:
Well, I think of that one as the "Ode to Joy" Symphony, and I'm not very fond of that movement. But since you are so adamant about it I'll give it another shot. :)

This thread has been viewed 59280 times.

Back