Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Men with feminine faces more attractive, study says

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    9,681


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Arrow Men with feminine faces more attractive, study says

    BBC News : Feminine males 'more attractive'

    Men with feminine faces will be luckier in love as most women are attracted to them rather than masculine men, Liverpool University scientists say.
    While square-jawed men attract beautiful women, the less macho ones have a wider choice as their face type is more in demand.

    Most women like a feminised face, but those who rated themselves attractive went for the classic masculine face.

    Feminine faces tend to be linked with stability and caring, scientists said.

    Several hundred students and staff at the university were shown a selection of computer-generated faces, manipulated to look either more masculine or feminine.

    They were asked to judge what facial type they were most attracted to.
    ...
    A second study showed that women seen with a dominant male were rated more attractive by other men.
    ...
    Men who rated themselves as attractive preferred women with feminine facial features, such as a small nose and chin and large eyes, which are indicators of fertility.
    Woud that mean that handsome men tend to be more attracted to Japanese (or East Asian) women because they are more feminine ? Equally, that let suppose that beautiful Japanese women prefer very virile men, and so more likely non-Asian ones (as in average Mongoloid have lower testosterone levels). Just interpreting the study.

    What do you think about this ?
    Last edited by Maciamo; 22-12-09 at 17:03. Reason: spelling
    Check this selection of my best forum topics
    My book selection
    ---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Southern Sun Duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    25-04-03
    Location
    The EU capital
    Posts
    652


    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Belgium



    I think it's very interesting, but actually i had noticed this since a while just from girls saying oh he is so cuteee, and he is so cutee, and etc etc. But maybe some of the female members could englighten us a bit more on this matter.

  3. #3
    カメハメ波! Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-04
    Location
    D'ville, LA
    Posts
    354


    Ethnic group
    caucasoid
    Country: United States



    Well, if anime is any indication it always seems that the "hunk" looks pretty feminine. But that's a pretty narrow sample size.

  4. #4
    Junior Member Dewberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-02-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2


    Country: United_Kingdom



    That's interesting! I've never ever felt attracted to men with feminine faces. They put me off! Although I have noticed that some of my friends go out with "cute" guys. I guess it's something to do with the fact that many women have a very developed maternal instinct. Men with feminine features seem a bit vulnerable and in need of constant affection. Such men are less likely (in a woman's opinion) to be abusive and aggressive. They also seem more approachable.
    There is also this theory suggesting that people with similar face features are often attracted to each other. I'm not too sure about that because I have a small nose and big eyes but usually go out with guys who have quite big noses, relatively small eyes and prominent jawlines.
    It's all a matter of taste...Look at Brad Pitt. He doesn't have a feminine face but is considered to be the sexiest man on the planet.
    As for me, I love masculine features!! Mel Gibson is perfect...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    02-12-04
    Location
    Finland
    Age
    39
    Posts
    87


    Ethnic group
    ^^;
    Country: Finland



    Quote Originally Posted by Dewberry
    That's interesting! I've never ever felt attracted to men with feminine faces. They put me off!
    Same here. I never understood the fuss about Leonardo DiCaprio when I was younger and only pretended to fancy him because everyone else did, too

    I prefer a face that shows some personality... If someone's just pretty, it's just completely boring to me. I seem to be the only person who likes Nicole Kidman better with the nose she had in "The Hours" I just think that the nose makes the rest of her face look really graceful. Or maybe I just have a peculiar taste about things.

    Pretty boys just remind me of.. well... boys - not men.

  6. #6
    Silent Assassin Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-02-05
    Location
    Living abroad in Las Vegas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    289


    Ethnic group
    Chinese, Columbian, German, and Russian
    Country: United States



    .........Well I'm screwed if that's what the study shows.

    Doc
    "Suppress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand of a normal human being." - The Psychology of the Assassin

  7. #7
    Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-01-03
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    46
    Posts
    407


    Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)
    Country: United States



    I do not like "pretty boys" and never have. I do not like feminine facial features at all. I like a chiseled face. I like a stong, square jawline.

    As for what that says about me, I don't know.
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

  8. #8
    Silent Assassin Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-02-05
    Location
    Living abroad in Las Vegas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    289


    Ethnic group
    Chinese, Columbian, German, and Russian
    Country: United States



    The only studies I trust are from Oxford. ^____^

    Doc

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    07-07-09
    Posts
    11


    Country: United States



    I can hardly believe that, this is not my vision of masculinity and in talking with my friends I've had the opportunity to hear the opinions of women. I think the vision of masculinity differs a lot upon the age of the respondent.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    19-12-09
    Posts
    2


    Country: Netherlands



    Obviously those who were interviewed, were teenage girls

  11. #11
    Regular Member Wilhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-09
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,661

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

    Ethnic group
    Celtiberians
    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    What makes you think Japanese woman are more feminine ? I don't think so

  12. #12
    ^ lynx ^
    Guest


    I don't agree with your conclusions at all Maciamo. A lot of japanese teen idols tend to look very andogrinous.




  13. #13
    ^ lynx ^
    Guest


    I seem to recall a TV report about this. They concluded that the female taste about males was linked with the menstrual cycle.

    Greetings.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    10-08-10
    Posts
    50


    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    BBC News : Feminine males 'more attractive'



    Woud that mean that handsome men tend to be more attracted to Japanese (or East Asian) women because they are more feminine ? Equally, that let suppose that beautiful Japanese women prefer very virile men, and so more likely non-Asian ones (as in average Mongoloid have lower testosterone levels). Just interpreting the study.

    What do you think about this ?
    Well nobody can really deny there is a phenomenon/significant demographic of Caucasian men who have a strong inclination towards Asian women. However Asian males are also probably least attractive to most women which would somewhat contradict this article.

    I think I have a slightly feminine face & I think it's done me no favours. I've seen but ugly dudes being more successful with women then me & I'm left scratching my head. I think I disagree iwth this article.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Cambrius (The Red)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    27-06-09
    Posts
    2,639

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

    Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic
    Country: USA - Ohio



    Feminine looking men may be more attractive to pre-teen and teenage girls but not to adult women, I would say.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    27-12-09
    Posts
    265


    Ethnic group
    English with some recent Norwegian and more distant Huguenot, and dashes from the 'Celtic Fringe'.
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    Feminine looking men may be more attractive to pre-teen and teenage girls but not to adult women, I would say.
    Let's hope so, eh?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    20-05-09
    Posts
    217


    Country: Croatia



    I noted there is an idiotic tendency among certain people to understanding that good looking=feminine. I actually think classic good looks among Caucasians are much more suitable to men than to women.
    And I must admit, without false modesty, that Asian and Hispanic women tempt my masculine instincts more than most of Caucasian women, who are often 'manly' looking.

  18. #18
    aimless wanderer Mzungu mchagga's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-09-10
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    638


    Country: Germany



    Here is a (perhaps very lousy) idea that came to my mind some while ago. I might be completely wrong but anyways still like to know what you might think about it.

    I've noticed that the beauty ideal among men, as well as women, is more towards young than feminine. It might look as feminine on first glance. But a lot of men in entertainment and media tend to look into this direction:

    -face masculine, but more adolescent than clear-cut
    -body tall and distinctive muscles
    -no beard or only sparse beard growth or stubbles
    -no or only sparse body hair growth (also sparse pubic hair)
    -voice more tenor than bass

    (corresponds to a 16 to 19 year old guy)


    for women the equivalent is:

    -childlike face
    -breasts and pelvis fully developed, but without exagerated fat disposure
    -slim and tall
    -only sparse pubic hair

    (corresponds to a 14 to 18 year old girl)


    Please note that not all beauty ideals tend into this direction, there are many variations, but there is a significant number of it. So how has it come that the beauty ideal of men and women nowadays corresponds to adolescents who are mature enough for reproduction but not fully grown up yet?
    Could it be that the answer is over-aging of society? Usually society picks beauty ideals which it lacks most and which are urgently needed for reproduction. So if a large proportion of the population is underweight from famine and badly sun-taned from a lot of field work, people will pick healthy beauties who are... fat and pale. Take a look on the paintings of Rubens! Or on Renaissance paintings of wealthy merchants/humanists.
    The trend towards very young looking beauties started in Japan with the Manga and Anime culture about 30 to 40 years ago, where the over-aging of the population started first. From then it spread to Europe and North America and continues today in Hollywood. And probably this beauty trend won't end until the second half of the 21st century, when the number of seniors in society declines again.
    In other cultures however (people who know me know that I'm obsessed with comparing cultures. Sorry can't help it. Someone want to shoot me?), where youth and old age are still on a normal and traditional level, men are still masculine and women are voluptuous mamas
    Last edited by Mzungu mchagga; 03-11-10 at 14:45.

  19. #19
    Seasonal Member Minty's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-02-06
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    621

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I am human
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I am human

    Ethnic group
    Asian
    Country: Luxembourg



    Quote Originally Posted by Mzungu mchagga View Post
    Here is a (perhaps very lousy) idea that came to my mind some while ago. I might be completely wrong but anyways still like to know what you might think about it.

    I've noticed that the beauty ideal among men, as well as women, is more towards young than feminine. It might look as feminine on first glance. But a lot of men in entertainment and media tend to look into this direction:

    -face masculine, but more adolescent than clear-cut
    -body tall and distinctive muscles
    -no beard or only sparse beard growth or stubbles
    -no or only sparse body hair growth (also sparse pubic hair)
    -voice more tenor than bass

    (corresponds to a 16 to 19 year old guy)


    for women the equivalent is:

    -childlike face
    -breasts and pelvis fully developed, but without exagerated fat disposure
    -slim and tall
    -only sparse pubic hair

    (corresponds to a 14 to 18 year old girl)


    Please note that not all beauty ideals tend into this direction, there are many variations, but there is a significant number of it. So how has it come that the beauty ideal of men and women nowadays corresponds to adolescents who are mature enough for reproduction but not fully grown up yet?
    Could it be that the answer is over-aging of society? Usually society picks beauty ideals which it lacks most and which are urgently needed for reproduction. So if a large proportion of the population is underweight from famine and badly sun-taned from a lot of field work, people will pick healthy beauties who are... fat and pale. Take a look on the paintings of Rubens! Or on Renaissance paintings of wealthy merchants/humanists.
    The trend towards very young looking beauties started in Japan with the Manga and Anime culture about 30 to 40 years ago, where the over-aging of the population started first. From then it spread to Europe and North America and continues today in Hollywood. And probably this beauty trend won't end until the second half of the 21st century, when the number of seniors in society declines again.
    In other cultures however (people who know me know that I'm obsessed with comparing cultures. Sorry can't help it. Someone want to shoot me?), where youth and old age are still on a normal and traditional level, men are still masculine and women are voluptuous mamas
    Yeah, I think so too. In fact I think European men who go for Far Easterners or South East Asians are those who like very young looking women. For them it is like shagging a Teenager!
    l'audace de vivre le prテゥsent avec optimisme tout en construisant l'avenir avec crテゥativitテゥ

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    24-01-11
    Posts
    11


    Country: USA - New York



    Personally I fall for guys that are absolutely masculine and have a very hard face, very angular and deep.

  21. #21
    Regular Member himagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-10-11
    Location
    Samaria, Michigan
    Posts
    88

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1

    Ethnic group
    Germanic
    Country: USA - Michigan



    Face style is important as a first impression of a perspective mate, but I think mating on facial traits alone to very superficial.
    Perhaps personality, shared interests, financial, and other practical attitudes, when taken into consideration, would be a good idea.

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    23-04-11
    Posts
    606


    Country: United States



    It's not even so much "feminine" but men with softer features and bright, expressive eyes are often attractive to me. These features some may describe as feminine but I do not see it that way really.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    07-11-11
    Location
    Somewhere in Spain
    Posts
    139

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b

    Ethnic group
    Spanish (from Spain of course, not Mexican and such)
    Country: Spain - Andorra



    No wonder why women keep on giving birth to gay men.

Similar Threads

  1. Who is the most attractive country in Europe?
    By edao in forum Humour & Tests
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 28-09-21, 02:59
  2. Suspicious foreign faces...
    By Maciamo in forum Other Serious Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 14-11-16, 17:10
  3. Study link broader CEO faces with better financial performance
    By Maciamo in forum Other Serious Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-11, 12:41
  4. My average faces by countries (composite/morphes)
    By julia90 in forum Anthropology & Ethnography
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 03-04-11, 13:11
  5. Blair faces war crimes trial after Iraq war
    By Maciamo in forum EU politics & government
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-03, 15:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •