IPA characters: are they available?

lexico

Chukchi Salmon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Paleo-Asian
I'm looking for a way to correctly display the International Phonetic Alphabets. Right now if I use the IPA's from my HWP wordprocessor, they change into garbled codes in JREF posts. Is there a way to go around this strange garbling?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the great wiki link, which I downloaded and fav'd for reference ! :cool:
I posted a similar question in Linguistics/German Pronunciation and Lina Inverse posted this;
You'll have to set the Codepage to "Western" (Iso-8859-1), then it displays fine.
I used the charmap to look for the Ipa chars.

Help with Multiple Scripts, Please !

I need a fool-proof way with multiple scripts in one document. (Yes, I am the fool in these matters !! :blush: )
Can somebody please teach me how I can display the native scripts in the follow languages ?

In order of importance (for me)

Top Priority

1. IPA: the International Phonetic Alphabet
2. Roman: for English, German (for the umlaut vowels), French (for the accents)
3. Cyrillic: for Russian, Mongolian, other localized Cyrillic for ethnic groups
4. Non-JIS kanji/hanja/hanzi ????

Next in Priority

5. Greek with the breathing and accent symbols
6. Classical Mongolian (written sideways) without vowel markings, and the one with vowel markings

When I want to work with three scirpts & IPA, for example, English, IPA, German, & Mongolian Cyrillic, what will gurantee me that all the characters show without corruption ???

Any help will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks.

Last edited:
lexico
I wish I could help (for the German), but since I am just a dumb user who doesn't know anything about native scripts or so.
I am going to ask my friend.

tagging

for html (hpertext) documents, you can include a <meta ...> tag into the header.

for example:

<html><head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-2022-jp">
<title>keitai icons</title></head>

this selects (and loads/installs if necessary) charset iso-2022-jp where ever the page is displayed.

it may work for other languages, if you can figure out the charset name for internet display.

This thread has been viewed 8102 times.

Back