How do you feel about your country's education system ?

Not quite right...

Sally_Hawn said:
Why do many people from small countries like Singapore (including a lot of Chinese, but these Chinese are different from those Chinese in China and its SARs), Malaysia (again with a lot of Chinese) and South Korea can learn a second or a third language pretty well?

?Ⴂ?܂? (wrong). FYI, many students in Singapore are struggling with their 2nd language (especially Mandarin) (probably like how most Japanese students struggle with English). There are students who can learn 3 languages well, but it's very uncommon.

"Suck" is in the eye of the beholder, or "suck" is a relative term.

Relatively speaking, Singapore students have the highest scores in TOEFL among Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, China and Japan.

What do you mean by struggling with their second language and it's Mandarin? Don't they speak Fookinese / Malays as first language (I mean the language they speak when they are babies) and English as second language ? Well, at least many of the Singapore people I had encountered do. I also met some who speak Hakka, English and Malay.

Even if Singaporeans speak English as their first language, their Mandarin level is still higher than the English level of Hong Kong students. I had worked as an examiner for HK high school standardized English oral tests before, and I knew for sure many HK students (excluding the ones who attended international schools) could not even answer simple questions like "What is your hobby?" or "What do you like to do on the weekend?"

On the other hard, there're also many pathetic Chinese people in Hong Kong and the rest of the world who pretend they can speak English better than Chinese. Inferiority complex or post-Colonial rule syndromes ...

* Don't have the time and don't feeeeeeel like searching for the hard data to support the above statement.

Last edited:
Language

Sally_Hawn said:
"Suck" is in the eye of the beholder, or "suck" is a relative term.

Relatively speaking, Singapore students have the highest scores in TOEFL among Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, China and Japan.

What do you mean by struggling with their second language and it's Mandarin? Don't they speak Fookinese / Malays as first language (I mean the language they speak when they are babies) and English as second language ? Well, at least many of the Singapore people I had encountered do. I also met some who speak Hakka, English and Malays.

Even if Singaporeans speak English as their first language, their Mandarin level is still higher than the English level of Hong Kong students. I had worked as an examiner for HK high school standardized English oral tests before, and I knew for sure many HK students (excluding the ones who attended international schools) could not even answer simple questions like "What is your hobby?" or "What do you like to do on the weekend?"

On the other hard, there're also many pathetic Chinese people in Hong Kong and the rest of the world who pretend they can speak English better than Chinese. Inferior complex or post-Colonial rule syndromes ...

* Don't have the time and don't feeeeeeel like searching for the hard data to support the above statement.

English is the language of instruction used in Singapore schools. Students take Mandarin, Malay, etc as a second language.

Oh, just to add on why HK students suck so much in learning English. I wasn?ft an English major, and I didn?ft go to teacher?fs college. Didn?ft and still don?ft care much about grammar, spelling, syntax, diction and etc. However, I had a friend who was a teacher and she introduced me to her school, there I got the job to fill in one of the examiners who was absent that day. Although I got a universtiy degree and I speak English better than most of the teachers at that school ...

Huh, the quality of the English teacher in Hong Kong is really?c erm?c terrible.

Like teachers, like students.

It strikes my that you where educated in Great Britain Maciamo-san. Just wondering did you do GCSE's or 'o' levels and CSE's? I'm form the old school of 'o'levels and CSE's. I found the education system fairly good in England, and despite what the whingers say, the education system is still fairly good. I am a Cub leader (8 to 11year olds) and usually find that the kids we see, a large majority of them do have a good grasp of english and maths. The older ones are even staring french. There is now a drive in English schools to get children to learn a foriegn language at earlier ages. Scotland has a slighlty differnet eduacation system and welsh is compulsory in most welsh schools, if you are wondering why I use English schools instaed of Britsih schools.
A friend of mine who has recntly moved to the states has not been impressed with their education system. His wife has an 11 year old daughter. When they lived in England she was sent to the local school. Despite being there for only a couple of terms, when they returned to the Staes she had to be put up a grade because of what she learnt in England. My friend seem to think that most American school seem to be churning out people with very basic English and Maths. I thing at the last PTA he annoyed the teachers by asking them whether they are going to tweach the children anything or turn them in morons. He and his wife are seriously considering moving their daughter to a Public school, where she can get a decent education.

Greistal said:
Italian system is always changing, as everyone gets elected thinks scholar system needs to change. But it somehow manages to work all the same! :relief:
I always get the feeling that everything in Italy does that, manage to work all the same, despite your government trying to mess it up. No insult intended
:sorry:

Mycernius said:
It strikes my that you where educated in Great Britain Maciamo-san.

What did I say that made you think so ?

A friend of mine who has recntly moved to the states has not been impressed with their education system. His wife has an 11 year old daughter. When they lived in England she was sent to the local school. Despite being there for only a couple of terms, when they returned to the Staes she had to be put up a grade because of what she learnt in England. My friend seem to think that most American school seem to be churning out people with very basic English and Maths.

I have a few friends who also studied one or a few years in the States in highschool, and they all unconditionally said that the level in maths and sciences was definitely 3 years behind what they had studied in Europe (a 6th form in the US is equivalent to a 3rd or 4th form in Europe).

I thing at the last PTA he annoyed the teachers by asking them whether they are going to tweach the children anything or turn them in morons.

Tweach the children ? Does it hurt ? :D Just kidding !

He and his wife are seriously considering moving their daughter to a Public school, where she can get a decent education.

Public school in the British or American sense of the word ? (as it is basically the opposite)

I don't really have anything negative to say about the school system here, it really isn't perfect, but i don't know enough about other countries educational system to be able to determine the standard of Swedens.

sgt. Pepper said:
I don't really have anything negative to say about the school system here, it really isn't perfect, but i don't know enough about other countries educational system to be able to determine the standard of Swedens.
I think that almost evryone would say that their education system is not perfect. You see how another country teaches it's children and something about it would make you say, 'that's a good idea why don't they do it in my country?' By the way The question will bring out people who feel baised towards their own country. It is a very difficult question to be objective about

My opinion on Singapore's education system

Singapore's education system is tough, but I think it is still not as demanding as Japan's :relief: . A comparison of my GCE A-level text(s) & Japanese Senior High text(s) in the same subjects shows me one thing - Japanese students have to cover more than Singaporean students.

Unlike Japan (where there is no streaming according to the student's ability), students in Singapore are streamed from as early as Primary (Elementary) school. This also happens in Secondary schools (where the supposedly weaker students take 5 years to complete secondary education rather than 4). The streaming is rather complex.

Students can switch to a better stream mid-way if their grades are good enough :cool: [or to a worse stream if they do poorly (usually forced to)].

However, there are complaints that this streaming puts pressure on the students.

Not having any other point of reference I can't really say how the Scottish education system is (you know, compared to Japanese). It is different, however, from the English, incase anybody was wondering!
Me & my friends have talked about this before, and the general consensus is that people who come over from Asia (i.e Korea, China - don't know about Japan) work a hell of a lot harder than we do. :D
However, (as Mycernius was getting at), a friend of my cousin's family moved to the US and within three months their daughter had to live with my cousin or she'd have to work an extra two years to get the (English) GSCEs (when in England she only had one year left) because her US school was so far 'behind'.

Personally, the Japanese school days scare me, and I really like the old French style; getting Wednesday afternoon off and coming in for a while on Sunday. Also, another friend of mine recently moved to an International School in China, and apparantly their timetable shifts every week! Is this the same for ordinary Chinese schools?! Wouldn't it get confusing? :souka:

To me no matter what, someone will find a flaw. Here in the US, I am not very impressed. But it also depends on the state.

Here in Utah, our education system isn't as good as let's say Floridas. I mean, Basic Math to them could seem like Advanced math to us. It just seems different in every state. You also have to look at the demographics and see the drop out rate, test scores, and Cumulative GPA.

But overall, I am not impressed with the United States. I have a friend that came to the US as a foreign exchange student from Germany, and he blew us out of the water. But I really don't know the differences, because I haven't really looked into it all that much.

The educational system in the Asia is not much satisfactory. Most of the countries in the Asia are considered as the most uneducated countries because of the very low rate of educated people in the country.The people over there can't bear the expenses of schools and colleges and spending a very poor life.instead of sending children to school , the child labor ratio is more.

Hi, I am a student of top Nagpur engineering college and education system is good. teachers and students both take efforts to get a high position.

It was good. most of the students of our country hire by a foreign country because of their talent.

My homeland is Estonia. School education is good enough, but the only 1-2 university can afford the good system of education. The others just pay money and that's all.

The education system in my country is very good. The government provide the best education system.

This thread has been viewed 143436 times.

Back