Debate Do you accept easily criticism about your country's system or government ?

Do you accept easily foreign criticism about your country's system or government ?

• I don't mind, but be prepared for war !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
It is probable that the culture and education system of each country gives its citizens different sensibilities regarding criticism. In some countries, people are taught to be critical everything (even oneself), and in others not be be too critical. What interests me here is how people perceive criticism coming from others (especially foreigners) regarding their country's system or government. Watch out that it does NOT include criticism about you personally, but only your country's politicians, educational system, etc.

I hesitated between the last two selections, I finally made my choice because of the word"justify".
Each country has these or those problems, sometimes we are too accustomed with the environment we live and even not conscious about where the problem is, the criticism from people with another point of view will remind us and help us to know things more correctly and objectively, surely, we should analyze those criticism rationally.

I'll accept foriegn criticism, if it's rational. Some people do not know the difference between constructive criticism and being judgmental.

I voted for the "I am completely open to criticism from abroad and also criticize my own country a lot" option. Generally, I believe that criticism should always be rational and well-founded and never "cross the line" (of decency or politeness). I am not sure though, if it needs to be "constructive".

I voted for "I am completely open to criticism from abroad and also criticize my own country a lot."

Since I came from a very hypercritical culture (one of the most capitalist regions who just joined up with a so-called communist regime) where almost everybody criticizes the new government, I actually enjoy reading all kinds of, ill- or good- intended, criticisms about our governments. Oftentimes I find them quite entertaining and it?fs like free consultation. Why not give it a hear? It?fs not like I have to do what they?fre telling me to.

"I am open to their criticism, but can't change my country's system anyway (so why tell me) ?" was EXACTLY what I thought when I read the thread title to begin with... was surprised to find such a perfect option in a poll to show my opinion on the matter.

thomas said:
I voted for the "I am completely open to criticism from abroad and also criticize my own country a lot" option. Generally, I believe that criticism should always be rational and well-founded and never "cross the line" (of decency or politeness). I am not sure though, if it needs to be "constructive".
I am also completely open to critiques from foreigners that have been tightly argued, empirically based if possible, and are careful not to insult with too broad a brush. They also should be based in reality and the existing framework of that society, it helps if the critics have actually lived in the place they're discussing. Laying onto Americans solely for not overthrowing its government in the same way Europeans do slightly ludicrious, for instance, since nothing in the two party system supports that sort of radical maneuvering. And it has been that way since the Constitutional Convention, nothing to do with the current administration....on second thought maybe 'I can't do anything' is closer to the truth in this case.... :p

I didn't notice this thread

until after I posted in the other thread about cultural divisions. Just to re-iterate:

One thing I have noticed, however, is most Americans, (including me, to an extent) aren't overly fond of other people telling us how to run our own country. Which, I know, is ironic considering how much we do it to other people.

As I voted, I am completey open to any criticism from anyone, as long as it's valid. But I think it's characteristic of human beings in general to be reluctant to accept criticism for alien sources. I think everyone here has at one time or another been pissed off at someone for making a remark on their performace.

I don't mind criticism, and I definitely critcize my own country(a lot), but sometimes it gets to be a little too much. Especially when it comes from Europeans, the people from a continent that I grew up adoring and looking up to so. I don't want to be dismissed as "just another stupid American".

It just seems like no one ever acknowledges that there are people in the U.S. who are ashamed of their government's actions. There are so many different people here who are from many different backgrounds and who have completely different views. As has been said many times, the U.S. is hardly a homogenous society...unlike Japan. :blush:

most of the time, when someone says "you Americans" or something like that, what we mean isn't really the American people as such.. it's more like the American government and the crazy bastards we see on teevee. You must understand that your faces outwards... are Jerry Springer and Bush.

And we don't getAmerican tv the way you get, say Swedish tv.. if you see a Swedish program, that'll be a rarity on some local network... 60% (rough estimate) of our programs come from America.

kirei_na_me said:
I don't want to be dismissed as "just another stupid American".

Don't worry, that never applies to you and many of the forum's American members when I criticize "American people".

It just seems like no one ever acknowledges that there are people in the U.S. who are ashamed of their government's actions. There are so many different people here who are from many different backgrounds and who have completely different views. As has been said many times, the U.S. is hardly a homogenous society...unlike Japan. :blush:

Yes, I know. That must be hard not to have a term to differentiate at least the main categories of American people. We could say the liberals vs the conservatives, but that's not just this kind of divide. How would we class US soldiers, for example ? Lots of them are jerks that give such a bad reputation to the US abroad, but again it can never be all the people in that group.

But it's clear that there are many famous American people which I appreciate and sometimes admire (rare thing to do for me, whatever the nationality). We should definitely try to classify better Americans in groups, so that when we criticise even the government, it should be directed at the neo-cons for instance, not everybody (I don't know them personally, but politicians like Ted Kennedy or John Kerry seem to be pretty good fellows). But again, if I want to say that Americans are fatter in average than Europeans or Japanese, it's obvious that not even half of the Americans are fat, and that their ideologies, political affiliations, education or geographic area hardly matters at all (I think).

You can't divide a group as large as "the Americans" in to subgroups and hope to do justice to everyone... that's what we have generalisations for.

I put the last one, accept criticism and criticize my own country a lot. I have millions of reasons to criticise my country, but I won't every accept moral criticsm on my country or people, especially from westeners, ie western europe especially, because I feel that they have no moral basis to stand on. When I hear albanian this, and that, I'm readily sure enough to spit fire back at them. The west in my view, here in europe at least, is just as degenerate as the east. But when it comes down to system of gov, and governemtn in particular there is nothing i can say, bust just to sadly agree..... but also I like to criticise other countries s a lot, so i guess it works out :p

TwistedMac said:
most of the time, when someone says "you Americans" or something like that, what we mean isn't really the American people as such.. it's more like the American government and the crazy bastards we see on teevee. You must understand that your faces outwards... are Jerry Springer and Bush.
QUOTE]
Just a note, and I am embrassed to say this, but Jerry Springer was born in London and moved to the US when he was five.

TwistedMac said:

You forgot MTV, "The Simple Life," "Who Wants to Marry My Next Door Neighbor," etc. etc. Man, I really hate just about everything that comes on TV. About all I can stand to watch is "Family Guy," "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," "South Park," and the like. But one thing is for certain, there are very few things in life that I really hate, and out of those things there are probably none that I hate more than MTV.

[Edit] I forgot about the educational channels, i.e. the Discovery channels and the History channels. They have good, educational programming, as does PBS.

Last edited:
It's Very Difficult To.........

try and be open minded to criticism of the US. I was bought up in an atmosphere of "America, love it or leave it!" When I was young growing up in Maine, anyone who spoke badly of our country or government was a "dirty commie" or "subversive" who should be shot or lynched. John Wayne was our hero to emulate. History class told all that was wrong with others and how the US was perfect. I was in my early 20's when it first occured to me the US and our government might NOT be perfect all the time. I still avoid threads & posts that are negative about my country because they reach down deep into my past upbringing and stir up emotions I can't control. I always feel like a failure when my emotions override my education and common sense, but things driven into your head as a child are hard to erase.

Frank

:worried:

I voted for the last three options, I really don't find critisicm on Denmark a personal attack. I guess I don't have that patriotic feeling for Denmark, which in some cases can interpret a critique of Denmark as a critique of oneself.... :blush:
In fact, I often myself can come up with loads of negative stuff about Denmark (also positive stuff of course)...as long as it is justified, or - well-argued. (I always apreciate a good argument to base ones stances).

Can I accept criticism? I live in America.... I'm the one dishin' it out! XD

Edit: By that I mean criticizing America.

Martyr said:
Can I accept criticism? I live in America.... I'm the one dishin' it out! XD

Edit: By that I mean criticizing America.

I don't know if you noticed that the question was "Do you accept easily foreign criticism...", so not from yourself or people living in your country.

Criticism or badmouthing?

"Criticism" used to mean to discuss something that is important / critical, but now it's just another word for badmouthing and revealing one's shame.

I don't think that people mind at all at discussing important things, even with people outside the group.

Problems arise though if people start badmouthing and revealing one's shame.

Nothing good came out of badmouthing and revealing one's shame, unless of course if your intention is to make people fight each other.

It should be noted that there's no need for let say group A to comment to let say group B ways for group B to improve its conditions, unless it's also in the interest of group A.

Of course, if group A start saying nasty things about group B, you think that group B will just stand there? Chances that it will ignore any comments from group A, or even worse, start a war against group A.

It's not in group A best interest either to say nasty things about any group, unless it's a political move of group A or group A is just a mere puppet to say anything by the puppet master even if it means making the puppet doing a suicidal move.

In general, people are very selfish people, they don't say things to other people unless it will also do good to them, it's a symbiotic thing.

Now... If people start criticizing a.k.a. badmouthing other people and argue that it's not in their best interest to do so, one must be wary if there's a third party involved here that is trying to make people fight each other.

As for 'foreign criticism'.

Ha! That's a laugh, we know that all the world governments are under one ruler, there's no such thing as 'foreign'. The only 'foreign' in 'foreign criticism' probably is in the species definition.

Based on experiences, 'foreign criticism' is just another way of saying, this is one of the many ways to make people from many different countries fight each other.

As for me.

Personally, I don't like at hearing or reading people badmouthing, either at my own group or other people's group.

Remember the saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

Well... People should do more of that, and less "if you can't say anything bad, don't say anything at all".

This thread has been viewed 60769 times.

Back