Debate Q1: If you were to die tomorrow, would you (honestly) be able to say that you would die happy?

whould i be happy

well im not happy if i would die tommorow, because im to young ( just my opinion, maby the guy above us think different) and i need to see many things in life, i think life is like a learning proces, and i totaly follow Lexico with learning everyday from new things!!!

if i look back on my short life now, i would be happy the way i have lived, being young and stupid, still i am! im notiching im getting more serieus with some things, and that the last years i did all my best to be happy, to work hard, to take care of my girl... im happy to be in love for already 1,5 year, everytime i talk to my girl, my heart is just almost bouncing again..

im happy with what i have done till so far,,, but im not ready yet, i need to finnish my mision on earth

flashjeff said:
Heh! Not to make light of such a topic, but that reminds me of a line from a Richard Pryor routine about coming and going at the same time!
:D :D :D :D

Is it the one where he catches himself on fire?:D

"And since you love me so much, here's ol' Richard Pryor running with his ass on fire.":D

Doc:ramen::happy:

Yes, I think I would. I do not fear death, only the way I may go. Would it be slow and painful, or quick and painless? I would prefer the latter.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I've reached most of my goals, and have had, for the most part, a decent life so far. If it streatches another 10-30+ years, it's just a bonus as far as I am concerned. Maybe there's more for me to learn here or more pain to be felt. I don't know. I do believe that death is nothing but a transition out of the physical and into the spiritual and maybe back into the physical in order to keep growing and learning.

It's also interesting to note that, in the answers to this question, those around my age or older would willingly go now and those in their late teens or 20's are not ready yet. Quite understandable.

Mad Pierrot said:
What would you die for?
Interesting question. I guess I would die for anything I loved or cherished dearly. This could be family, country, friends, or my beliefs. For these things I would gladly give my life.

I've lived a good full life and have experienced ups and down and have been very blessed. I've had people close to me depart and understand how quickly fortune can turn and I'm saddened for those that experience a life filled with nothing but pain sorrow and misfortune. I hope humanity can get to a point where we look out for the weakest amongst us but greed and selfishness seem to win out time and time again. Would I like to die rather than keep on living, I'd say no I'd rather stick it out but the risk is going out on a high note or low one, who knows if tomorrow all of Society could collapse, a giant Cataclysmic event could take place, or a Horrific disease could ravage humanity...ok that last one may already be taking place. Wouldn't it be ironic if those that say they would rather die than infinitely live forever would upon death enter a state of forever existence :D

Honestly, how can anyone be happy in such an unhappy world ?
So yes, I have hope that something better awaits after life here on earth.

Honestly, how can anyone be happy in such an unhappy world ?
So yes, I have hope that something better awaits after life here on earth.

Life can be tough, and for some unfortunate ones, life feels like the valley of tears and an endless circle of suffering and misery. However, even in this unhappy or biblically speaking "fallen world", we do enjoy moments of joy, laughter, and happiness. I personally believe, that this restless chasing after pleasure and happiness is part of the problem, particularly in the Western world. Therefore, the source for unhappiness and to a degree depression in our Western societies, is often the need for instant gratification. This desire to experience pleasure or fulfillment without delay or deferment. Basically, it’s when you want it; and you want it now. Plus we are being told that we deserve to be happy which leads to having expectations, not seldom unrealistic ones. In fact, we have to earn our happiness by avoiding having distorted priorities and false values. In Christianity, for example, the is the hope that after death, there is an everlasting life of perfect joy, happiness, absolute love, freedom, and wholeness, the total union with God. St Augustine said this: "O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” This quote will surely upset atheists.

Life can be tough, and for some unfortunate ones, life feels like the valley of tears and an endless circle of suffering and misery. However, even in this unhappy or biblically speaking "fallen world", we do enjoy moments of joy, laughter, and happiness. I personally believe, that this restless chasing after pleasure and happiness is part of the problem, particularly in the Western world. Therefore, the source for unhappiness and to a degree depression in our Western societies, is often the need for instant gratification. This desire to experience pleasure or fulfillment without delay or deferment. Basically, it’s when you want it; and you want it now. Plus we are being told that we deserve to be happy which leads to having expectations, not seldom unrealistic ones. In fact, we have to earn our happiness by avoiding having distorted priorities and false values. In Christianity, for example, the is the hope that after death, there is an everlasting life of perfect joy, happiness, absolute love, freedom, and wholeness, the total union with God. St Augustine said this: "O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” This quote will surely upset atheists.

Well said real expert!
Happiness is such a fleeting emotion and what you’re saying about chasing after pleasure and instant gratification being a source of depression makes sense to me. Pleasure never lasts and it is a poor substitute for long term happiness.
At this stage of my life, I am willing settle for a feeling contentment and the ability to accept life for what it is . . . a series of ups and downs. It is okay to not feel happy all of the time, feeling sadness makes the happy times more meaningful and important.

This thread has been viewed 16686 times.

Back