Crazy English phrases

Leroy_Brown said:
In
the English language, there are three words that end in "gry".
What is the third?

I'm so sorry!!!!!! I ruined it. I didn't phrase it properly. It should've just said

In "The English language, there are three words that end in 'gry,'" what is the third word?

The third word in the quoted text is "language."

So sorry! :sorry:

Hmm...Is there a reason you must insist on the answer being "language?" Couldn't the anwer be "English" instead ? :?

Or is the question supposed to be influenced by Japanese by having "The English language" become the sencence header as the topic ? :?

Or couldn't you phrase the question as;
Q: "The English language has three words that end in 'gry;' the first two are 'angry' and 'hungry.' What is the third word with 'gry?'"
A: "hungry."
Does that make any sense ? :blush:

oh man you guys, I have been studying the three words riddle since high school 6 years and from my understanding the origin of the riddle had nothing to do with and actual word in the dictionary
the third in the dictionary is gry it is an actual word or form of measurement but the answer to the riddle is Language because it is a trick question.

"Angry" and "hungry" are two words that end in "gry".
There are three words in the English language. What is the
third word? Everyone knows what it means and everyone uses it
every day. Look closely and I have already given you the
third word. What is it?

Answer: "language".
"The 1 English 2 Language 3"
This puzzle has circulated widely on the Internet for some
years, but usually in an abbreviated form such as "Name three
common English words ending in 'gry'", which has no good third
answer.

Damicci said:
"Angry" and "hungry" are two words that end in "gry".
There are three words in the English language. What is the
third word? Everyone knows what it means and everyone uses it
every day. Look closely and I have already given you the
third word. What is it?

Answer: "language".
"The 1 English 2 Language 3"

This puzzle has circulated widely on the Internet for some
years, but usually in an abbreviated form such as

"Name three
common English words ending in 'gry'",

which has no good third
answer.
Hey, Damicci, you solved the puzzle. Without the ungarbled question, there would be no way tha riddle would work ! :wave:

Threadkill or you guys run out of "Phunky Phrases" for 300 Alex.

kekekekeke I kid I kid

Burning bridges or We'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I never liked the term "working class" to refer to people of the middle class who have blue-collar jobs.

So, if you're a doctor, you don't work?

If you're a stock broker, you don't work?

Good example. How about a "working esimate." Do people do figures to get an estimate that doesn't work ?
How about "a rough estimate?" Does this imply there's something called an exact estimate ? I could go on, but it's getting repetitive.

I hate Internet Explorer. :auch: :kaioken: :banghead: :mad:

Anyway, to answer the question (for the second time), a "working estimate" is an estimate that you use as a basis for further calculations. A "rough estimate" is one that is made without much context or information, i.e. an "uneducated guess." :D

Yes, Glenn, thanks for your definitions. Your example sounds like a case of inversion; a slip of tongue where "literally" stands in opposition to "metaphorically." Or it could it hypoerbole, but definitely has a bad taste.

Hmmm.....................

What the f#$%.
It took me forever to figure that riddle out.
Anyway.....I have something that may be a little harder for some.

Do you all know the secret of this symble % ?

It has a secret.....look harder! lol.

Wait, I got it ! The class of 96 ? Naughty naguthy ! :evil: :evil:

So, it wasn't what I was thinking. But, 96 doesn't seem to make any sense if you're talking about percentages, which are x out of 100. Maybe it's just me though.

These ones never did seem quite right to me :souka: :

How about this, then?

I told him off.

I'll tell you what.

Glenn said:
So, it wasn't what I was thinking. But, 96 doesn't seem to make any sense if you're talking about percentages, which are x out of 100. Maybe it's just me though.
It's an ice breaker, Glenn. Nothing wrong with what you say. Prolly the Indians-Arabs-Italians started using the 1/100ths in their bookkeeping which lead to the space-saving short hand like you said. But I could also argue for the duodecimal system of the Babylonians. With base 12, our 96(10) would be 80(12), and that could mean the Babylonians thought 80% was a decent cut off for a passing grade of above average; a positive outlook. ... j/k about the Babylonians, me jus' babbling. :D
@ Kuro Tsubasa69
How about this then ?
Now what ! <-- this my favourite phrase of complaint.
Look what you've done ! <-- Also very good at making the other feel guilty.
See this ? <-- "
What now ! <-- "
How's that ! <-- After a good blow, haha !
Take this ! <-- "
*Me back be gotten off of ! <-- passive of "Get off my back !"

Last edited:
I always seem to confuse learning english speakers with:

Whats up? <-- What are you doing?
How's things? <-- How is everything?
Bring it on! <-- (challenging) Lets do it!
Get real! <-- This is difficult to explain, it can be disbelief at the last comment spoken, or it could be like telling someone you think they have no chance of doing what they claim, or it could be used to tell someone you think they are being ignorant of something as well >< It really depends on inflection and context

lexico said:
It's an ice breaker, Glenn. Nothing wrong with what you say. Prolly the Indians-Arabs-Italians started using the 1/100ths in their bookkeeping which lead to the space-saving short hand like you said. But I could also argue for the duodecimal system of the Babylonians. With base 12, our 96(10) would be 80(12), and that could mean the Babylonians thought 80% was a decent cut off for a passing grade of above average; a positive outlook. ... j/k about the Babylonians, me jus' babbling. :D

Thanks, but I was sure that I had cracked the secret of the percentage sign. :( Anyway, even if we did use dozenal (or duodecimal, but I'm pretty sure you read that link too :p) shouldn't we go by pergrossage? That would be the same symbols as percentage in decimal, and that would mean that % showing the one splitting the two zeros would still work. Well, maybe I'm the one who's just rambling now.

By the way, I was thinking of some new symbols to use as representations of the decimal 10 and 11 in dozenal, since "T" and "E" just don't feel right to me. For one of them I figure we could use a backwards ?? (or an upside-down and backwards 7), and the other I hadn't come up with anything for yet. Care to help me out? :bow:

This thread has been viewed 47991 times.

Back