Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: English language test

  1. #1
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    English language test



    Let's see how many of you can say this phrase right first time, including native English speakers, without looking at the answers first:-

    A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.

    Saw it in a book thought I'd post it, as it shows how crazy this language is.
    Answers below-
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >keep going
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    The Answers:-
    Rough as in 'Puff', Dough as in 'Oh', Thoughtful as in 'Port', Ploughman as in ' Thou', Through as in 'too', Scarborough as in 'Curragh', Slough as in 'Buff', Coughed as in 'Soft' and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    enix_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-03-05
    Posts
    12


    Country: United_States



    Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    The Answers:-
    Rough as in 'Puff', Dough as in 'Oh', Thoughtful as in 'Port', Ploughman as in ' Thou', Through as in 'too', Scarborough as in 'Curragh', Slough as in 'Buff', Coughed as in 'Soft' and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'
    lets see I said these correctly:

    Rough as in 'Puff'
    Dough as in 'doughnut' or 'donut' or 'doh'
    Thoughtful as in 'Port'?
    Ploughman as in 'Thou'
    Through as in 'too'
    Coughed as in 'Soft'

    incorrectly:

    Scarborough as in 'Curragh
    Slough as in 'Buff'
    Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'


  3. #3
    Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-12-04
    Location
    Sunny South Korea
    Posts
    642


    Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian
    Country: South Korea



    Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
    I got these as in your answers; (but that doesn't mean we sound alike, both sounds may have shifted! )
    Rough as in 'Puff',
    Dough as in 'Oh',
    Ploughman as in ' Thou',
    Through as in 'too',
    Coughed as in 'Soft',
    and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'

    These I got different answers;
    Thoughtful as in 'Port' --> mine still retains the /r/ sound
    Scarborough as in 'Curragh' --> mine was /scar-burrow/, I wasn't too sure to begin with, but Simon and Garfunkle had is sung that way. How do you exactly read Curragh ? My dictionary gives me 3 different readings...

    This I got the same answer, but... my dictionary says Slough is /slau/.??
    Slough as in 'Buff',
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

    --Zhuangzi

  4. #4
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    In England it is like burra. My Canadian cousins say burrow. The 'ow' must be a north american way of saying it. I think the port sound is the same reason. Slough can be said both ways. There is a town in England called Slough as rhymes with plough. The slough, as in puff, in when a snake sloughs its skin. Hope that clears it up for you.

  5. #5
    Hentai Koutaishi Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Lina Inverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-04-04
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    198


    Ethnic group
    Caucasian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    Let's see how many of you can say this phrase right first time, including native English speakers, without looking at the answers first:-

    A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.

    Rough as in 'Puff', Dough as in 'Oh', Thoughtful as in 'Port', Ploughman as in ' Thou', Through as in 'too', Scarborough as in 'Curragh', Slough as in 'Buff', Coughed as in 'Soft' and Hiccoughed as in 'Cup'
    Ok, here's my version:
    rough with ou as in grow or oh (rhyming with dough)
    dough eith ou as in grow
    thoughtful with long o as in port
    ploughman with au as in now
    through with long u as in too
    scarborough as in borrow
    slough with au as in now - it should'nt be as in buff, I checked my dictionary. With that pronunciation, it has a completely different meaning
    cough with af as in enough (e.g. an animal shedding its skin)
    hiccough - never heard this weird word before... I think it means "hiccup"

  6. #6
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Lina Inverse
    Ok, here's my version:
    rough with ou as in grow or oh (rhyming with dough)
    dough eith ou as in grow
    thoughtful with long o as in port
    ploughman with au as in now
    through with long u as in too
    scarborough as in borrow
    slough with au as in now - it should'nt be as in buff, I checked my dictionary. With that pronunciation, it has a completely different meaning
    cough with af as in enough (e.g. an animal shedding its skin)
    hiccough - never heard this weird word before... I think it means "hiccup"
    Hiccough is the correct way of spelling hiccup or an alternative way. You will usually find older people in England spelling hiccough this way

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 111
    Last Post: 13-09-19, 21:26
  2. English language
    By motatalea in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-11, 06:52
  3. English as an abusive language
    By Mycernius in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-03-10, 10:54
  4. Middle English language
    By motatalea in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-02-10, 10:21
  5. English as the World Language
    By Brooker in forum Opinions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 23-02-05, 06:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •