Debate Q5: What happens to you after you die?

Index said:
Here here. I agree. Question number six please.....
Dearest Lexico and Index,

Number six will follow shortly...currently i am working and wasting coporate time and the only philiosophising i can do is "Is it morally wrong to burn an office down?" (a question that requires no answers...but go ahead if you want!).
Expect to see number 6 sometime tonight (have to don my thinking cap as i believe a poor question would be a waste of exeryone's time). I would imagine about 6-7 hours from now! (no point putting times because i'm sure it's not currently 2pm everywhere!)
I am honestly pleased that people enjoy and indulge in my non-sensical questions and ramblings, even if my poor speeling (deliberate mistake, honestly!) and grammer,, is enough to keep everyone talking!

Peace for now!

smoke said:
Dearest Lexico and Index,

Number six will follow shortly...currently i am working and wasting coporate time and the only philiosophising i can do is "Is it morally wrong to burn an office down?" (a question that requires no answers...but go ahead if you want!).
Expect to see number 6 sometime tonight (have to don my thinking cap as i believe a poor question would be a waste of exeryone's time). I would imagine about 6-7 hours from now! (no point putting times because i'm sure it's not currently 2pm everywhere!)
I am honestly pleased that people enjoy and indulge in my non-sensical questions and ramblings, even if my poor speeling (deliberate mistake, honestly!) and grammer,, is enough to keep everyone talking!

Peace for now!
It is morally wrong if you haven't reallocated to a better home anything you want out of there first. Just make sure it's late at night and you have a good alibi (you 'ain't seen me right and I didn't say that) :mad:

Mycernius said:
It is morally wrong if you haven't reallocated to a better home anything you want out of there first. Just make sure it's late at night and you have a good alibi (you 'ain't seen me right and I didn't say that) :mad:
the only thing i want from that place is more money...which is unlikely.
and as for an alibi, i'd be proud and admit it! i'd be a hero!!!

smoke said:
'isayhello' why do you feel it will be scary?

Because it IS: The world will just keep on turning and everyone will keep on living, but I'll be.. nothing. The world is.. I can't imagine it without me, since ME is my point of view... (I don't make sense) And I know I won't be done living when I die - there'll be lots and lots of things I still wanna do and won't have time doing cause I'll be dead...
I don't want that at all. *cries* I don't wanna become fertilizer!

I'll never age and never die. I decided.

How could anyone NOT be scared of dying!?

*cries*

Oh darling Isayhello, lot's of people fear death. Don't let the fear of death get to you. Okay dear? :) Just simple words of comfort. Anywho, I have no idea as to where you go when you die. But then, coming from a Christian background I was taught that you either go to heaven or hell. Then, I have my own strange theories about the afterlife. :p

This is the trouble with posing an abstract question to a mixed audience. Look what you've done, Smoke ! You've made our I_Say_Hello cry ! Don't you feel responsible for the undue sadness of a member ? How do you plan to compensate for the psychological damage ? :sick: :( :bawling:
When my kid was 4 or 5, he learned that everyone dies. He came up to me and said, "Dad, if everyone dies, does that mean you will die, too ?" I said, "Yes, I will die someday." As I said that, I realized I owed him an explanation. Not just the straightforward, logical one. So I continued.
"Son, of course I will die, but before I do that, there are certain things that's got to happen. First I will see you grow up, go to school, year after year, graduate, go to a bigger school, and graduate, and then you will get a job, maybe get married, have some children maybe, and see them grow up. So I don't think I'm going to die right away. Only after all these things happen, and then I might think about dying. 'Shall I die now, or later ?' So don't you worry. It still far ahead of you, and I'll be around you."

I looked into his eyes, and he seemed satisfied. I wasn't expecting that question, but was glad that I could come up with a reasonable answer without too much trouble. So to I_Say_Hello, I think you will have to do so many things before leaving earth and everyone behind. About half the 10,000 members will have to be dead before you can even qualify. I think first you will have to grow stinking old to make the ultimate jump into the netherworld. But your imagination is quite cute and lively. That life is so strong in you, I think even a major Tsunami in the North Atlantic couldn't kill you. Woudln't you say ? :)

Last edited:
isayhello said:
Because it IS: The world will just keep on turning and everyone will keep on living, but I'll be.. nothing. The world is.. I can't imagine it without me, since ME is my point of view... (I don't make sense) And I know I won't be done living when I die - there'll be lots and lots of things I still wanna do and won't have time doing cause I'll be dead...
I don't want that at all. *cries* I don't wanna become fertilizer!

I'll never age and never die. I decided.

How could anyone NOT be scared of dying!?

*cries*

Death is a fickle thing. It is something we can never escape. In the cycle of life everything must end at one point or another for new things to be reborn. It is a way of life, and the way God intended it. I guess you could say that's why man will never cure all the world's diseases because of death. Death can be a scary thing, but not because of death itself. It's also not because you're afraid you'll never get to do the things you always want to do. It's because of the unknown relam of what comes after death. That's what scares the living hell out of people. Do we go to heaven? Do we go to hell? Do we go to a sort of limbo? Do we just watch over humanity? Do eventually cease to exist even as an enity? Do we get reborn? Is it just nothing be darkness? What happens exactly?

That's what scares everybody, and in every right should scare people. However, at the same time that fear should develop into something else; love. What I mean is, love for life. Live life everyday and live it the way want to. You never know when you're going to die, so live life now. Sometimes your time will come when it's not supposed to, and other times it will. We are all born with an experation date. That's why you should live life to the fullest. Even if you do, you'll still be unsatified. That what is a good thing. It makes you cherish life that much more. For if you have everything you wanted and did everything you wanted, there is no point in living anymore.

My advice to you isayhello is to live life to the fullest, and don't let the thought of death get you down. Doing so will leave you with apathy in the next life. Most people should be pissed when they die, but if you do when you're doing something you love to do, then there's no reason to be upset. Instead you should embrace your fate, and be prepared to see what's out there in the next life. As Tom Hanks once said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Doc:(:bawling::(

my little bit on death

I don't know if there is a heaven or hell after death, but I have the distinct feeling there is something. On the chance that there is a heaven I try to do as much good with the hand that's been dealt me as I can. Now before you call me an ignorant hick for believing in an afterlife let me tell you what I base my oppinion on. I have 3 children and moments after they were born I had the chance to hold them in my arms. It may be my overactive childish imagination, but from each of them just moments after birth I sensed the most wonderful.... well for lack of a better word lets call it energy. I got the distinct feeling that more than just a random collection of molecules organized by a chance combination of DNA, I was holding a being with its own unique energy. We all know from 5th grade science that energy is neither created nor destroyed, I have to think the beings that are my children will continue to exist in some way shape or form after the bodies they inhabit now are dust. Boy, I just reread what I wrote it sounds very cheesy, but thats how I feel.

it's just my oppinion

I could be wrong

TheKansaiKid said:
I don't know if there is a heaven or hell after death, but I have the distinct feeling there is something. On the chance that there is a heaven I try to do as much good with the hand that's been dealt me as I can. Now before you call me an ignorant hick for believing in an afterlife let me tell you what I base my oppinion on. I have 3 children and moments after they were born I had the chance to hold them in my arms. It may be my overactive childish imagination, but from each of them just moments after birth I sensed the most wonderful.... well for lack of a better word lets call it energy. I got the distinct feeling that more than just a random collection of molecules organized by a chance combination of DNA, I was holding a being with its own unique energy. We all know from 5th grade science that energy is neither created nor destroyed, I have to think the beings that are my children will continue to exist in some way shape or form after the bodies they inhabit now are dust. Boy, I just reread what I wrote it sounds very cheesy, but thats how I feel.

it's just my oppinion

I could be wrong
i believe there is no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion. As i've said before, i believe that opinions have more worth than fact (in some cases).
good post!

Doc said:
Death is a fickle thing. It is something we can never escape. In the cycle of life everything must end at one point or another for new things to be reborn. It is a way of life, and the way God intended it. I guess you could say that's why man will never cure all the world's diseases because of death. Death can be a scary thing, but not because of death itself. It's also not because you're afraid you'll never get to do the things you always want to do. It's because of the unknown relam of what comes after death. That's what scares the living hell out of people. Do we go to heaven? Do we go to hell? Do we go to a sort of limbo? Do we just watch over humanity? Do eventually cease to exist even as an enity? Do we get reborn? Is it just nothing be darkness? What happens exactly?

That's what scares everybody, and in every right should scare people. However, at the same time that fear should develop into something else; love. What I mean is, love for life. Live life everyday and live it the way want to. You never know when you're going to die, so live life now. Sometimes your time will come when it's not supposed to, and other times it will. We are all born with an experation date. That's why you should live life to the fullest. Even if you do, you'll still be unsatified. That what is a good thing. It makes you cherish life that much more. For if you have everything you wanted and did everything you wanted, there is no point in living anymore.

My advice to you isayhello is to live life to the fullest, and don't let the thought of death get you down. Doing so will leave you with apathy in the next life. Most people should be pissed when they die, but if you do when you're doing something you love to do, then there's no reason to be upset. Instead you should embrace your fate, and be prepared to see what's out there in the next life. As Tom Hanks once said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

Doc,
you said everything that i was going to say to 'isayhello' and just generally about life. this is a great way to look at life!!!

i think there is a lot of confusion as to how to 'live life to the fullest'. I think a lot of people think that to live your life to the fullest you have to travel the entire globe, bungee jump, sky dive, get obliterated on alcohol, have copious amounts of sex with as many people as possible...and so on.
I think as life is such an individual thing, to live YOUR life to the fullest you have to do what makes YOU happy.
if you take great contentment from sitting on your ass playing video games and having a couple of smokes then you are living YOUR life to YOUR fullest.
to other people that may be deemed a waste of life...but who cares what others think, after all...it is your life.

Ma Cherie said:
Oh darling Isayhello, lot's of people fear death. Don't let the fear of death get to you. Okay dear? :)

*moved* Wow. Thanks. I'll try. But thinking about it makes me fear it. The trick is not thinking about it at all... *tries not to think about it*

isayhello said:
*moved* Wow. Thanks. I'll try. But thinking about it makes me fear it. The trick is not thinking about it at all... *tries not to think about it*
oh, btw...sorry for making you cry! :sorry:
only think about death if you have choice in it!

Doc said:

*has just read this post, missed it before*
:bawling: WOw, I'm soo moved!! *cries* Thats really nice! And well said too! (with a quote and everything...) And I guess you're right. I SHOULD embrace my fate and live my life to the fullest!!! *is filled with new fighting spirit* I'll do that! *rises from chair* I'll go out this very moment and meet life! *is getting to emotional* I'll... :?

Thanks for the good replies, Doc and Smoke... I really appreciate them! :cool:

Problem is, and I think I'm not the only one feeling this way, it's hard to realize your life is important as it is. I (and hopefully someone else) keep on dreaming about achieving something better, and it's hard accept ones life as it is, without whishing you had a better one. I keep on thinking, "if I do this, if I go there, if I do that.. THEN I'll be happy with my life and won't be afraid of dying"... Even if you told me to see that as something positive, not having all you want and not having done everything you want, I find it pretty hard doing so. But I'll try, because I find it would help me a great deal!

Last edited:
Crying can be a good thing anyway. It helps you release you troubles.

Doc:ramen::happy:

I'd like to think that I would find myself being held up by the ankles, smacked across the ass, and crying !

.... with a complete, full memory of everything that had gone before .... !

Regards,

?W????

well i dont know if i believe in flying away, and see my own body, and see the light coming towards me ( the light that coming towards you is that your brain stop working, so you eye site get down, so a light comes,, mmm i dont know excatly how it was, i saw a really nice docu about it...to bad i can not remember everything... )

i think when i die, i will be reborn as somebody else, human, or animal.

The ultimate question that can never be answered. Depending on the day, my opinion will change, but the following could sum up my feelings.
Things can not be created, can not be destroyed, they can only change form. I have to wonder if the human "spirit" is any different. By spirit I mean our ideas, hopes, opinions, thoughts, etc. They didn't come from nowhere, so how can they go to nowhere?

Honestly , i also feel scared. maybe because i feel i'm not yet ready to leave the ones i love. But since death is inescapable, I'd like to cling to the Christian belief that after the physical death, we'll all have eternal life with God.

Heaven

One of my favorite, all time quotes was from an old friend of mine, who was a Jewish man who believed in Jesus, who used to say, ?gEvery body talks about Heaven, but nobody wants to go!?h That line still makes me chuckle because it?fs so true!

At the risk of sounding suicidal or like I have a death wish, I do indeed look forward to the next life very, very much. We tend to get tunnel vision here in this world, I think, perhaps because the physical things of this world wrap around us, smothering us, and veiling our eyes from spiritual realities.

My personal Christian beliefs do include an assured heavenly abode for both my physical body and soul/spirit where I will be in the presence of my Savior forever, free from sin, corruption (death is one form of corruption), and suffering. It won?ft be Heaven because I?fll be alive again, or because my relatives may be there, or because it will be beautiful. It will be Heaven because there will no longer be barriers between me and my Creator/Father God.

This thread has been viewed 18349 times.

Back