British Dishwash

You think you're lazy... I've never even used a dishwasher or a laundry machine. All the females in my house always do it. Might be cuz I'm Bosnian. It's just simply expected for females to do the household chores. And I'm lazy.
I'm so lazy I take piano lessons on a player piano.
Homer's voice: I am so lazy! I am so lazy! L-a-z-y! L-z-y....D'OH!

That's true, it's common in many countries. I've lived in Scotland and as it's part of UK they tend to the same as Brits basically.

McGuinness is a comfortable minister of the British clown and serves every master but the Irish people. The EU will break up in a few years anyway.

I'm pretty careful washing my dishes.
I have a rare immune system disorder called CVID, and it makes me prone to all kinds of infections.
Hot water + antibacterial dish soap that is thoroughly washed off and I make sure to fully dry my dishes.

If I didn't have a dishwasher, I personally think it's gross as well as unhygienic to wash all those dirty dishes in the same sink or pan full of water with food particles in it. On the other hand, individually washing a dish or glass with a sponge or washcloth is also something I wouldn't do, given that reports indicate they're breeding places for bacteria, unless I used a Scott towel or something which I could discard. So, if I didn't have access to a dishwasher, I'd do what my mother used to do, which is scrape off the biggest pieces of food, rinse off any actual food "stuck" to the dishes, and then wash them in a bowl of hot sudsy water, rinse them in hot water again and leave them to dry in a rack or towel dry with a fresh towel.

There's nothing, however, that gets bacteria off dishes and glasses like dishwashers, because of the really high temperatures.

People don't get how many of their colds, flues, intestinal flues etc. abdominal "issues", come from bacteria on their own hands and house surfaces, and from food. One of my doctor friends told me to wash my hands the first thing after I come into the house and to wash them multiple times a day, especially, of course, after the bathroom, and, use the dishwasher. :) They are indeed energy guzzlers, however. Oh, she also says having a glass of wine with lunch and dinner is an excellent idea because the alcohol can kill any bacteria in the food.

News accounts always rave about how much modern medicine has done in terms of people's health. The vast majority of the gains are vaccines, antibiotics, and more and better hygiene.

I typically use the dishwasher, and always on high temp, but you can also add a small amount of bleach to you dishwater if hand washing.

I've also heard that you shouldn't towel dry dishes because it can spread bacteria from one dish to another. Also be sure to wipe off phones, door handles, light switches, keyboards, etc. One of the offices that I worked in, half the agents got the flu because of a shared keyboard and phone. I took sanitary wipes and left them at the desk to help stop the spread.

My apartment doesn't have a dishwasher but I get around this by using paper plates

I typically use the dishwasher, and always on high temp, but you can also add a small amount of bleach to you dishwater if hand washing.

I've also heard that you shouldn't towel dry dishes because it can spread bacteria from one dish to another. Also be sure to wipe off phones, door handles, light switches, keyboards, etc. One of the offices that I worked in, half the agents got the flu because of a shared keyboard and phone. I took sanitary wipes and left them at the desk to help stop the spread.

I agree. We had a big flu outbreak once, and after that every desk had the wipes. Clean off the phones and keyboards before using someone else's, and use another one to clean your hands while you're at it. Door knobs are another big one.

When I first moved to Manhattan and took subways everywhere I couldn't believe how people nonchalantly would hold the handrails all the way down and up. I can't even imagine all the bacteria on those surfaces and doors. Well, they say the hand is the filthiest human body part, and that's saying something. That's also why I stopped cultivating long painted nails, although I only ever had small projections and just got a French manicure. My pediatrician told me once not to do it because there's tons of bacteria under there, and it's not good when you're handling a newborn, or feeding him etc.

There was some segment on a news show about the bottom of women's handbags too. Now I never put mine anywhere near the kitchen counters.

Remember the "Soup Nazi"? :) My kids used to call me the "Clean Nazi". :) From the time they were toddlers, the mantra was always: Shoes off, wash your hands. I have to say, they're good about it, at least at my house. I don't have to grit my teeth and bear it because I don't want to be accused of still trying to tell them what to do. :)

This thread has been viewed 25117 times.

Back