Religion How do you percieve God/Gods?

In addition to the fact that many religious texts have been revised to meet with past & current standards.

This is true. Personally I think it is a good thing in some aspects because it can help us all understand particular religions better. However, some revisions can actually just make it more abstract and hard to understand. I guess it all depends on the ones who revise it.

Doc:ramen::happy:

Doc said:
Funny I don't believe in that at all. To think that the universe evolves around man is pretty lame in my opinion. As vast as the universe is, I hardly believe that man is a superior being. We're nothing but a puny little species on a puny little planet in a giant ocean known as the universe. Whose to say that there aren't other speices out there that believe the same thing? Until man can explore beyond his own planet I think it's kind of hard to figure that one out. Although it would be exciting to see what other species on different planets would have on a concept of deity.:)

I've always wondered what the religious extremists would say if aliens arrived on earth. Probably that they are Satans minions come to corrupt man.

Yes but science tends to go into a fundamentalist lobby as well. You're doing double talk just like a Christian fudamentalist would go on about with God.
I've had to defend myself to a lot of Jesus freaks in the past. They've got a tendency to quote a lot from the Bible if they get stuck, I have to use science and logic. I used to work with a convert to JW for 5 years. This tends to focus the mind.

Yes, but Darwin is full of BS. The "Survival of the Fittest" mentality is one of the reasons why the struggle between the classes is even worse today than it was a thousand years ago. To think that man is on top of everything because we have a rational brain is foolish. Sure we're smart, but you can't stop nature. Animals are little bit stronger than we are. Think of a lion. Do you think a lion needs a rational brain when you piss it off. I don't think so. All a lion needs to do is rip a human in half. Humans aren't on the top of the food chain of life seeing that animals can rip us apart. We have to make weapons to defend ourselves. In short, we're not as strong as we think we are. Where the weaker species when it comes to nature. So the scienctific point of view of man with Darwin is just as bigited as the religious standpoint of man.
Our survival trait is our bigger brain and intelligence. Being a weaker animal you have to find some way to defend yourself against stronger animals. This has been seen in chimps against baboons. A chimp will used a weapon to defend itself. It uses it's intelligence to overcome a stronger foe. It should be more survival of the intelligent. See the Darwin Awards :D

Did I say that I thought God controlled my life? No I did not. I said we all have a purpose in life. That doesn't mean God controls my life. Most of the s*** that happens anymore in today's society is based on human error, judgement, and nature not that of God's.
I didn't say God controlled your life. I implied that the religious say that it is gods will if something happens. No, that is nature. You strike me as more spiritual than God obsessed.

So are you in the middle of the road type guy like me? Or are you the scienctific type guy. It's either one end of the extreme or the other for most people. I personally choose the middle seeing that I agree with both logic, reason, science, nature and spirtiual faith.
I guess I am more a science and logic type along with the force of nature. It's a case of what my interest are, and I am the science type.

. . .Empericist :eek:kashii: (J/K) :)

Don't you insult me with big words, even if they are partially true. :lol:
I think isayhello san has raised some good points as well. :wavey:

PS: I thought you said you wouldn't reply to these post as they are hypocritical? Who needs Maciamo to argue against you? :)

Thor said:
I'm going to feel stupid about this, so please don't bash me 100%. Couldn't gods be a product of drugs like opium and other early drugs? It's silly to think that there are deitys watching over us all, but have become silent over the years
I once told a Mormon that Joseph Smith could have been stoned when he saw the Angel Moroni. He accepted it in good grace. I was amazed

Mormons & Jehovas Whitnesses are awesome :lol: (just kidding!)

Ithink god is a man made concept to unite, control and educate people (with morals) rather than a real beeing. I think that because every country, culture ethinicity etc has produced an own religion somewhere in time and on the earth.

what thor said bout deities watching us: Yeah thats true God did so much 2000 years ago but then remained silent

hmmm

Mycernius said:
I've always wondered what the religious extremists would say if aliens arrived on earth. Probably that they are Satans minions come to corrupt man.

There's a video game called NARC where you get to bust people like that. Religious extremists that is. It's pretty funny!:D

Extremist: "You're going to burn in Hell!"
You after you bust the extremist: "You have the right to shut your dumbass up.":D

I've had to defend myself to a lot of Jesus freaks in the past. They've got a tendency to quote a lot from the Bible if they get stuck, I have to use science and logic. I used to work with a convert to JW for 5 years. This tends to focus the mind.

When I get stuck with those types of people I use Kung Fu like Robert Stack in the movie Airplane.:D

Our survival trait is our bigger brain and intelligence. Being a weaker animal you have to find some way to defend yourself against stronger animals. This has been seen in chimps against baboons. A chimp will used a weapon to defend itself. It uses it's intelligence to overcome a stronger foe. It should be more survival of the intelligent. See the Darwin Awards :D

Don't remind me. We say we're the smartest yet there are more stupid people in this world than I can count! Seriously who feeds their kid pestiside because they ate ants? Or how about somebody trying to rob a gun store, with off duty cops in it? Damn the stupidity of some people just amazes me.

I didn't say God controlled your life. I implied that the religious say that it is gods will if something happens. No, that is nature. You strike me as more spiritual than God obsessed.

Pragmatist = ME:)

I guess I am more a science and logic type along with the force of nature. It's a case of what my interest are, and I am the science type.

Empericist :eek:kashii: :)

Don't you insult me with big words, even if they are partially true. :lol:
I think isayhello san has raised some good points as well. :wavey:

PS: I thought you said you wouldn't reply to these post as they are hypocritical? Who needs Maciamo to argue against you? :)

Maciamo is a cynic and a skeptic. :eek:kashii: I think that's reason enough. :)

statues and temples are man-made artifacts.

as far as i have understood, shintoism is about to see the natural forces as "gods". somehow true, as they nourish us humans, and they are not inanimate.

many religions (like christianity) are simply death cults, supporting a global end by various efforts. like to teach small children about cruel crucification punishment. a large part of the new testament is about the judgement procedure, which takes tree days. this is my personal perception.

:) :) :)

You people hate the hypocrisy of organized religion, and come to the conclusion that there's nothing there. However, you are adamant about having free will (like people with religion do); that you think there's not a power in the entire universe that can stop you. But in reality, you know there is something there. You're just too scared to admit it. Thinking that there is would make you question life and the order of things. It would cause chaos in your life and routines, and you don't want that. So you choose to believe in nothing hoping that you're right, and that everything will be okay. Humanity is better suited on it's own than with a god. To bad it doesn't work out that way.

Doc, it takes ALOTTA faith to be an atheist! :lol:

Loved your rants! :bravo:

I think spirits exists. They can be bad, good, more or less powerful. But no God, Satan, Heaven or Hell.

... “doubt” is what God uses to test us ... a leap of faith is the solution!

If you grew up Catholic and you want to be worthy of Heaven you have to believe and follow the Dogma, ... and it's not optional.

If you are not Catholic, to have access to Paradise you just have to be a good person.

It is easier for a non-Catholic to go to Heaven than a Catholic, ... because Catholics have already been exposed to the “truth” and they have no excuses.

... the Nuns told me, many many years ago :)

... “doubt” is what God uses to test us ... a leap of faith is the solution!

If you grew up Catholic and you want to be worthy of Heaven you have to believe and follow the Dogma, ... and it's not optional.

If you are not Catholic, to have access to Paradise you just have to be a good person.

It is easier for a non-Catholic to go to Heaven than a Catholic, ... because Catholics have already been exposed to the “truth” and they have no excuses.

... the Nuns told me, many many years ago :)

That is a statement...

For many reasons the thinkers -in deep time exelixis process- decide to recognize two options
for decoding the human evolution from philosohical aspect and in extend to historiography and
social sciences in general, and those are the "tragic' and the "eschatologic" one.

The Hellenic pre christian cosmoideal and the prontestantic iluminative messianism.

At the first one -shortly, The world move in a circle, similarities with Brahmanism and versions of
polytheist religions at the wider region is obvious. The world move in conflict with the Heraklitean (polemos) war
as father creator and the Hesiodian (Eris) quarrel. There will never be peace.
Kratos (state) and his sister Bia (violence) is the pillars of the hellenic cosmopolitan phaenomenon.
There is Hybris and blasphemery against divine order, which gods punish and often revenge, but there is not paradise or hell
for those who challenge or worship them.

At the messianistic ones: The world extend in a straight line in constantly progress. At this option
the monotheistic authority have a plan and everything is under control. The deterministic frame of the world could explained
in terms of causes and reasons. There is hell and paradise here and out of this place, but at the end the world will be better.
The messianistic option rely -mostly- on the judaism theological tradition.

I personally percieve -any of that kind questions- with heart

Gods and spirits were always a way to explain the unexplainable. In our past we had many of those, cause we didn't understand our environment. The gods changed according to our perception, from animals as we lived in forests to pantheons of gods of trade, forging and smithing etc., to only one omnipotent god. So what is next? Now we understand much more and we have science and reasoning in the meanwhile. Gods and spirits continuously lose their importance. My family was religious, I was traditionally raised that way but at some point I couldn't take fairytales and anthrophomorphic divine creatures literally and seriously any more. I am an atheist, I don't believe or feel any presence of gods or spirits. There will always be something that we don't understand but the history proved that it has nothing to do with the supernatural.

When I was a child, I thought as a child. My parents and grandparents could answer all my questions and explain the world. I thought they knew everything. But when I became a man, I put away childish thoughts. I realized my elders didn't know everything, and that the best explanation of the universe came from science.

I think religions arose from a childish nostalgia for all-knowing, all-powerful parent figures. Departed parents and grandparents became deified as sky father, earth mother and other personified forces of nature. Ancestor worship developed into the various religions we see today. For thousands of years they satisfied the people's thirst for explanation. Then science came along and produced an evidence-based universal knowledge system that cruelly exposed the limitations of supernatural explanatory systems.

God is the eternal imaginary parent that hinders you from taking personal responsibility.

I can't help but look at it like the ancients who described everything being brought into existence with a single word, ie frequency. I'm all for the idea that humans need to continue and search for the meaning and origins behind everything but not to get hung up on dogma that seeks to destroy one another over differing opinions.

This thread has been viewed 15552 times.

Back