Difference of usage between British and American English

I expect you're right. I think I understood, at some level, what randy meant at the time, but the hilarity, and the blushes, of the ladies seemed beyond the normal. It's similar to the word bloody. I get that to a Brit it's obscene (or rude or course), but it can never have the impact on an American that it does on a Brit, so their reaction seems inordinate (and very comical!).

BTW, I have very fond memories of Australia (Perth it was) based on that visit.

I expect you're right. I think I understood, at some level, what randy meant at the time, but the hilarity, and the blushes, of the ladies seemed beyond the normal. It's similar to the word bloody. I get that to a Brit it's obscene (or rude or course), but it can never have the impact on an American that it does on a Brit, so their reaction seems inordinate (and very comical!).

BTW, I have very fond memories of Australia (Perth it was) based on that visit.

Do they not use the name Randy in Australia, I wonder? Well, in American English, and I think it's the same in British English too, we have a particular nickname for Richard that often gets a lot of laughter because it's also popular slang for an anatomical part.

Incidentally, in American English we don't use Randy that way. We use it only as a name. I only first learned the non-name meaning from Austin Powers.

This thread has been viewed 132936 times.

Back