Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who invented what ?

Ethnic group
    European

Looking at the original list by country, the list for Britian looks really small. I've read a couple of books recently and was absolutely amazed at what was invented / discovered there. I would suggest that as Britian is the country most responsible for the modern world we live in , the list could almost be greater than the rest combined

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Mikester View Post
    Looking at the original list by country, the list for Britian looks really small. I've read a couple of books recently and was absolutely amazed at what was invented / discovered there. I would suggest that as Britian is the country most responsible for the modern world we live in , the list could almost be greater than the rest combined
    Actually I have had to size down the contributions of each country and stick to the most useful and everyday-use inventions (I think that Bud's list of Australian inventions illustrates what I am trying to say). But it is certainly true that proportionally to their national population British people invented more than any other country on Earth.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

Sorry, but not true. The British are the greatest copy cats in the world, and after them the Americans, the Japanese and the Chinese.

If the British are so great inventors, why can't they build a reliable car?
    Name me one other English product on the European market!

Ok, they invented the microwave for radar purposes.
    But they had to steal German supplies to get radar turn round and round.

The modern microwave oven is an offspring of that invention, but the British were standing aside.

It makes little sense to invent something, and never profit from marketing it.

Ethnic group
    European

Sorry, but not true. The British are the greatest copy cats in the world, and after them the Americans, the Japanese and the Chinese.
    Are you for real. I'll leave someone else to defend the americans and our friends in Aisa, surely you don't believe that statement about the British. So all the multiple inventions that allowed the Agricultural and Industrial revolutions to happen were copied. So the fact the British have by far more Nobel prize winners per capita than anyone else was because they copied someone else.

Lets look at the humble flushing toilet invented by a Brit, but I guess they may have copied someone. It went like this

1) Some Brit saw some german, french or belgian cave man digging a hole - great idea lets do that
    2) The first modern flushing toilet was built by Joesph Bramath in 1778 (although Queen Liz 1 had one but it was a novelty) - but it didn't work that well - sometimes it backfired, and it stunk. It never really caught on
    3) In the 1840/50s along came a Brit called Thomas Crapper (yes that was his name ) who came with up two great little features. The elevated water cistern for flushing, and the U-bend pipe that gave us the water trap at the bottom, and more importantly stopped the smell from coming out

My point is that things develop overtime and its hard to state anyone person invented the whole concept without copying someone else along the way.

Ethnic group
    European

If the British are so great inventors, why can't they build a reliable car?
    Sad but probably true when it comes to mass production. But they do build some great elite cars - for example the Aston Martin. I'm not a F1 follower, but I think a lot of the top racing teams are based in the UK - so they do have some talent

It makes little sense to invent something, and never profit from marketing it.
    Yes the Brits have lost there way somewhat when it comes marketing their inventions. It can be strongly agued the first electronic computer was invented in the UK (based on code breaking devises), and the World Wide Web (Tim Berners-Lee who gave it to the world for free). But beyond that the Americans have taken computers to another level and most people think the americans invented it all

Quote Originally Posted by No-name View Post
    As a historical rule of thumb: If a Scot didn't invent it, then the Chinese did.
    Fixed that for you. No need to thank me.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Actually I have had to size down the contributions of each country and stick to the most useful and everyday-use inventions (I think that Bud's list of Australian inventions illustrates what I am trying to say). But it is certainly true that proportionally to their national population British people invented more than any other country on Earth.
    Well, you'd better say the English could and did "nick" more than any other people on Earth.
    BTW, there is no British people. There are English, Welshmen and Scots.
    The Irish aren't even British at all!

Penicillin - Sir Alexander Fleming
    Television - John Logie Baird
    The lucifer friction match - Sir Isaac Holden
    The Refridgerator - William Cullen
    Radar - Robert Watson-Watt
    Steam Engine - James Watt
    Bicycle - Kirkpatrick MacMillan

Now admit it Reinaert you wear clogs and like sniffing tulips.

Ethnic group
    North Germanic

germany > usa

Ethnic group
    North Germanic

People don't credit the islamic countries inventions, as they are basic. But without most of the ground stones that those early inventions act as, would the modern country really invent so much as we had?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152

Maciamo,
    How does a new thread get to the top of the list? I just posted one but it is lost in the boonies....
    Shouldn't the last contributed thread get to the top of the list?
    By the way, congrats on this site... very good and a lot of great info. You probably spend most of your time on it.

aimless wanderer Mzungu mchagga's Avatar

@bertrand
    For some reason the section 'History&Civilisations' is sorted by thread-rating and not by thread start time. You can change this below in 'Thread Display Options'.
    But me aswell would be glad if this could generally be changed to thread start time from the beginning.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152

ok, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCoutts View Post
    Fixed that for you. No need to thank me.
    I'm afraid modern inventions come from lands other than Scotland or China.

In 2003 patents issued simultaneously in the USA, Japan and Europe gave:

USA - 37pc
    Japan - 26pc
    Germany - 14pc
    France - 5pc
    UK - 4pc
    Others - 14pc

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a2* SNP P312

Ethnic group
    Proto Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    I'm afraid modern inventions come from lands other than Scotland or China.

In 2003 patents issued simultaneously in the USA, Japan and Europe gave:

USA - 37pc
    Japan - 26pc
    Germany - 14pc
    France - 5pc
    UK - 4pc
    Others - 14pc
    Sorry, but these figures don't say anything about the quality, only about the quantity.

For instance this British patent for a dog carrier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djj_pictures/4178848145

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2

Inventions

A few British inventions to add to the list are the vending machine, caterpillar tracks, the artifical hand, the heavier than air flying machine and golf.
    One false discovery attribution seems to be Edward Jenner's smallpox innoculation. He was preceeded in the endeavour by Benjamin Jesty of Dorset (whose work was later acknowledged by some award), by the Welsh doctor Wright, by the American Cotton Mather, by attempts at perfecting the method in Germany, Denmark, Holland, Italy and France, plus, naturally, the Chinese, who were already trying this method of averting smallpox in the millenum BEFORE the last.
    Jesty and Wright had also both commented that it was well known by country people that if cowpox could be induced in an individual that person would generally become immune to smallpox. Jenner just seems to have picked up the ball and run with it.
    You can say that inventions come along in their proper time, but I find it interesting how some original ideas and unexpected inventions arose at precisely the same time in places far apart, whose inventors had proceeded upon their own lines of enquiry in isolation and were unaware of other investigations - the 'theory of evolution' from Alfred Russel Wallace and Charles Darwin is one, Walsharts and Heusinger steam locomotive valve gear is another, the theory of heredity is another.

Bundle of thanks for this sharing and information.That is really useful and let me tell you one thing that please stay in touch and keep sharing because i have remembered this information here and want to know more.

Ethnic group
    Surname Origin- Gaulish tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaert View Post
    Well, you'd better say the English could and did "nick" more than any other people on Earth.
    BTW, there is no British people. There are English, Welshmen and Scots.
    The Irish aren't even British at all!
    If anyone in Great Britain 'nicked' inventions it was the Scots. The English were the ones that gave away inventions like STDs at the end of the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123