Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Multilingual Sources: Do you know any other you can share ?

  1. #1
    Chukchi Salmon
    Join Date
    Sunny South Korea

    Ethnic group
    Country: South Korea

    Smile Multilingual Sources: Do you know any other you can share ?

    I have a multilingual dictionary called The Concise Dictionary of 26 Languages in Simultaneous Translations, Peter M. Bergman, The New American Library, 1968, no ISBN. It lists 1,000 basic voabulary and has 25 indexes in each non-English langauge.

    1. English
    2. French
    3. Spanish
    4. Italian
    5. Portuguese
    6. Rumanian
    7. German
    8. Dutch
    9. Swedish
    10. Danish
    11. Norwegian
    12. Polish
    13. Czech
    14. Serbo-Croat
    15. Hungarian
    16. Finnish
    17. Turkish
    18. Indonesian
    19. Esperanto
    20. Russian
    21. Greek
    22. Arabic
    23. Hebrew
    24. Yiddish
    25. Japanese
    26. Swahili

    The Webster's Online Dictionary Rosetta Edition also lists words in the following languages. I counted 111 languages, but only gleaning from words water, fire, one, I; there are supposed to be some 600 languages (10% of all living languages of the world) stored in the database amounting to around 1 terabytes. The remaining 90% are due to be entered according to plan.

    A=6: Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Asturian, *Avestan, Aymara
    B=6: Basque, Bavarian, Bemba, Blackfoot, Breton, Bulgarian
    C=7: Catalan, Cebuano, Chamorro, Chinese, Cornish, Croatian, Czech
    D=2: Danish, Dutch
    E=8: English, *Old English, *Middle English, *Renaissence English, *Jacobian English, *Victorian English, Ecuadorian Quecua, Esperanto
    F=6: Faeroese, Farsi, Finnish, Flemish, French, French Canadian, Frisian
    G=7: Galician, German, *Old High German, Greek, *Classical Greek, *Koine Greek, Guarani
    H=4: Hatian Creole, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hungarian
    I=5: Icelandic, Indonesian, Inuktitut, Irish, Italian
    J=1: Japanese
    K=2: Kongo, Korean
    L=5: Lombard, *Latin, (Latvian), Luganda, Luxembourgish
    M=7: Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Manx, Maori, Maya, Mohawk
    N=1: Norweigian
    O=1: Occitan
    P=7: Papago, Papiamen, Pig Latin, Polish, Portuguese, Protuguese Brazillian, Provencal
    Q=1: Quechua
    R=5: Romanian, Romansch, Romany, Ruanda, Russian
    S=16: Samoan, *Sanskrit, Scottish, Sepedi, Serbo-Croatian, Shona, (Shuar), Sicilian, Slovene, Somali, Sotho, Spanish, Sranan, Swahili, Swazi, Swedish
    T=6: Tagalog, Tahitian,Thai, Tswana, Turkish, Turkmen
    U=2: Ukranian, (Uma)
    V=1: Vietnamese
    W=2: Welsh, Wolof
    X=1: Xhosa
    Y=1: Yucatec
    Z=1: Zulu

    Do you know of any other multilingual sources you can share ? How useful have you found them ?
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.


  2. #2
    The Angel of Justice Zauriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Northeast Greenhills, San Juan, Manila, Philippines

    Ethnic group
    Country: Philippines

    Yes, I saw a dictionary with 7 languages in a small library.

Similar Threads

  1. Bilingual, Trilingual, Multilingual
    By Satori in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 29-12-14, 18:01
  2. Share your DNA with the world
    By Maciamo in forum DNA Testing & General Genetics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-09, 10:33
  3. Multilingual Europe ?
    By Maciamo in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-05, 23:07
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-05, 20:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts