Annoying phrases

Why shouldn't they understand each other perfectly? (It's the way people talk where I'm from, by the way).

The same phenomenon can be seen in Japanese, and probably in other languages as well.

For example:

English: ....t + y..... > ...ch...
English: ...d + y..... > ...j...

Japanese: ?ā{?́?????
Japanese: ?Ł{?́?????

Well for them it is easy. Think from the other perspective. Think of the people trying to learn other languages and talking to native speakers and hearing these abbreviated phrases and lazy grunts and mumbles. How can one understand and learn?

we've got the same for the poor french speakers. it's become quite common for many to add "quoi" every 2/3 words (imagine a regular sentence with 3 "what" inside). very very very annoying :eek:kashii:

pinkkillerkisou said:
Well for them it is easy. Think from the other perspective. Think of the people trying to learn other languages and talking to native speakers and hearing these abbreviated phrases and lazy grunts and mumbles. How can one understand and learn?

I don't have to think from the other perspective....I've been living the other perspective since before you drew your first breath.

One of my favorites that happened to me personally was meeting a coworker one morning and being greeted with ?h?}?C?N?A???͂悤?B?˂???ׁH?h

It took me several seconds to decode it and be able to answer him.

English doesn't palatalize ?!?

mikecash said:
English: ....t + y..... > ...ch...
English: ...d + y..... > ...j...

Japanese: ?ā{?́?????
Japanese: ?Ł{?́?????
Which makes me wonder, are there any languages that don't do this in the spoken form, i.e. keep the t's and d's unchanged before an i ? (serious question)

I was told by my high school English teacher, "English doesn't palatalize its t's and d's." How surprised I was to hear,

"Djyui djet ?" for "Did you eat yet ?" :lol:

I always try to be concious of what phrases I say and the frequency I use them. Typical teenage talk does bug me (like, umm..., kinda) when they use it a lot. I read one 17-year-old girls' email to a company (it was a request from the company or something, don't quite remember) - and it was absolutely shocking. Filled with 'unsure-ities' like "kinda", "like", etc. When I read it, I'm thinking there ain't no way she's getting a response. The only thing missing down the bottom of the email was kthxbye!!!1111
If I got the email, I'd bin it straight away.

My real annoyance at the moment is when someone says "isn't it?" in incorrect grammar. Example:
"You're going to the shop, isn't it?" Wrong. The correct grammar is:
"You're going to the shop, aren't you?"

Indians and Burmese seem to do this a lot. A few australian women do it too.

Prizm

This thread has been viewed 21079 times.

Back