Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: What is/are Germany's greatest contribution(s) to the world ?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • World's first pocket watch

3 5.36%
  • Cars (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Porsche, VW...)

27 48.21%
  • World's first petrol/gasoline engine, diesel engine, motorcycle and Jet engine

17 30.36%
  • World's first light bulb, TV, LCD screen

13 23.21%
  • Electric & electronic goods (Siemens, Bosch...)

10 17.86%
  • Classical music (Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Wagner, Strauss...)

27 48.21%
  • Philosophy (Leibniz, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Heidegger...)

23 41.07%
  • Beer

15 26.79%
  • Sauerkraut & sausages

8 14.29%
  • Aspirin & other pharmaceutical products

11 19.64%
  • Dogs (dachshund, german shepherd, doberman, rotweiler...)

9 16.07%
  • Other (please specify)

7 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greatest German contributions to the world ?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2

For reference I had in mind the Hs293 and the Fritz X. It is possible many people have still never heard of them.
    For instance, an air-launched Hs293 sunk HMS Egret in 1943 - blew it sky high with a strike to the ship's magazine. Those things really did work!

Banned

Ethnic group
    Amerindian + German + French + Spaniard + Black + others

Quote Originally Posted by crudshoveller View Post
    For reference I had in mind the Hs293 and the Fritz X. It is possible many people have still never heard of them.
    For instance, an air-launched Hs293 sunk HMS Egret in 1943 - blew it sky high with a strike to the ship's magazine. Those things really did work!
    Well, I heard of it... it was lauched from the air (in that case, a Do 17)... just has the best anti-ship missiles of today (such as the Russians Moskit or Yakhont)...

(corrected information)

And another example of guided WWII German missile...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserfall_(Rakete)

(corrected...link)

Regards.
    Last edited by Sirius2b; 28-02-11 at 17:47.

Banned

Ethnic group

(repeated)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2

Excellent Sirius. [It was a Do217 that sank Egret but close enough].
    For reference m'sieur, don't take this as my saying guided missiles were the greatest German contribution to humanity - just one other step forward into the technology of today that has (arguably) brought some benefit to those who presume to keep the world safe for the rest of us.
    As an aside - do you know of any Mexican contribution in the field of pioneering aviation, or was there was too much all-consuming political strife going on at the time in the country to allow time/effort/funds for such experimentation?

Banned

Ethnic group

Quote Originally Posted by crudshoveller View Post
    Excellent Sirius. [It was a Do217 that sank Egret but close enough].
    Strike three!!!!

(Thanks for your comprehension, anyway )

As an aside - do you know of any Mexican contribution in the field of pioneering aviation, or was there was too much all-consuming political strife going on at the time in the country to allow time/effort/funds for such experimentation?
    On the contrary, the only true interest to experiment with aviation in Mexico were precisely the times of the Mexican Revolution.

The first sight for precission bombing, the first aereal combat, and the first ship sank by a plane, and the breaking several times the altitude record, were all that happen in Mexican Revolution (1911-1917)

http://www.fata.unam.mx/ciencia/2010...-primera-parte

After that, none was done that deserves mentioning, that I remember.

After WWII, when there was a worldwide general interest in Rockets and the possibility of space travel, there was also here some initial interest in the matter... so we started a native space program in the end of 50s, early 60s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD5CN8JykQU

... but I guess that, as common in our History, Mexican politicians decided the money will be better spent on expensive cars and suits...

Regards.

P.S.

Being you Canadian, you probably be interested in knowing that Bombardier is doing some good things here. http://www.thestar.com/article/433845

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius2b View Post
    Strike three!!!!

Being you Canadian, you probably be interested in knowing that Bombardier is doing some good things here.
    Strike four!!!! Sirius. Not that you were to know but I am not Canadian - I just live and pay taxes here. The Eupedia questionnaire asks where one lives and does not elicit further clarification so that's where the deficiency lies.
    However, not all is lost because I did used to work for Bombardier as it happens - and for de Havilland some time before that. Glad to hear Bombardier is creating jobs in Mexico anyway.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Just for curiosity crudshoveller, what nationality do you identify yourself?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2

nationalistic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by LeBrok View Post
    Just for curiosity crudshoveller, what nationality do you identify yourself?
    Ah, I am Englander. I have Britisher EU passport for when I visit to the foreigners and distant parts of our oblate living-shere.

Thank you for your kind interest LeBrok.

I live between Alliston and Barrie in Ontario - retired now but formerly worked here in aerospace in Montreal and Toronto. Good news for Canadian aerospace with than big aircraft order yesterday, eh?

Lots of easy-come-by informations here eh? One has to take care though, as much of it must be taken with a pinch of salt (as we Englanders say when confronted with shady fact).

Crudshoveller, are you deliberately writing in a non-standard form of English? Do you speak in this fashion?

Ethnic group
    Indian+Spanish+German, basically

I like this thread... but I think that the issue about the German economic system has not been developed.

In particular, it would be interesting to discuss why some countries in the West could manage to keep their industrial base when contronted with Asian competition and others simply don't.

I think that it has to do with the presence or absense of social considerations and the understanding that Reality is complex and the "simplicity" of neoliberalim and specially Monetarism, are only a facade of the Financial Capital to appropiate the resources of the countries in a destructive an negative way in the long term.

In front of that, the simple XVII Century-style Mecantilism of Chinese works fantastic... no to mention the "Japan Inc." and South Korean models of development.

Germany is doing OK in industrial and export competitiveness for a number of reasons. Mostly because it didn't allow (as of today) its state-social structures to be dismantled in the same manner, as, say, the USA.

gl

Ethnic group
    White (Nordic)

John Logie Baird invented the TV didn't he? He was British
    And I'm sure the first light bulb was invented by British chemist Humphry Davy
    The modern light bulb has over 22 people claiming to have invented it.

PS German cars are f*****g awesome!!

For me the biggest german contributions are following:

Nikolaus Otto – inventor of internal- combustion engine. All cars to date are powered by this type of engine, except of a few failed electric ones. This invention allowed Mercedes to manufacture the first automobile in the world.

Albert Einstein

Messerschmitt Me 262 – the world's first operational jet-powered fighter aircraft. All jet-aircrafts today use the same principles of this plane.

Wernher von Braun – inventor of ballistic missiles. His developed system was used in rocket Saturn ˅ which took a man to the moon. All American, Russian, Chinese spacecraft launchers today use the same principles

Hans Bethe: Nuclear physicist and Nobel laureate in physics 1967. During World War II, he was head of the Theoretical Division at the secret Los Alamos laboratory which developed the first atomic bombs.

Sigmund Freud: Neurologist who became known as the founding father of psychoanalysis.

Levi Strauss: The German American father of blue jeans and many more.

Also things like: aspirin, paraffin, Frankfurter Würstchen, X-ray, musical instrument accordion, temperature scale Fahrenheit, modern motorways (Autobahn), helicopter, radar and many more.

Maciamo what made you to put Marx in pool among philosophers, the creator of basis of the worst plague in history of mankind - communism?

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by matbir View Post
    Maciamo what made you to put Marx in pool among philosophers, the creator of basis of the worst plague in history of mankind - communism?
    I don't know if communism was as bad a plague as Christianity or Islam, but I agree that it wasn't a good societal model. But you are right, I will delete him from the list, even though he can be considered a philosopher.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Tabaccus Maximus Tabaccus Maximus's Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - SRY 2627
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1a

Ethnic group
    Galo-Germanic Atlantic Fringe

1. Other - Carl von Clausewitz. "Theory of War"

Also, I don't know that the emotional response describing Christianity as a plague makes much sense, especially given the fact that within the top 20,000 German achievements, 90% were made by men nominally Christian.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Tabaccus Maximus View Post
    1. Other - Carl von Clausewitz. "Theory of War"

Also, I don't know that the emotional response describing Christianity as a plague makes much sense, especially given the fact that within the top 20,000 German achievements, 90% were made by men nominally Christian.
    Christians can't be scientists. Science goes against the most fundamental beliefs of the Bible. Anybody who claims to be a Christian and a scientist at the same time is a hypocrite.

For example a recent survey found that one third of Americans didn't believe in evolution (hence also in genetics, hence also in biology, hence also in biochemistry, hence also in chemistry, etc.). Among White Protestants, 64% were convinced that humans never evolved, that all "races" or regional variations were created by God just as they are today. Of the 27% of White Protestants who believed in evolution, the majority said that evolution was not natural by guided by god. In contrast the three quarters of non-affiliated Americans (not necessarily Atheists though) believed in evolution, and most of them in natural, genetic evolution.

Religions are a bunch of superstitions. But some religions are worse than others. The dogmatic, all-knowing and proselytising ones like Christianity and Islam, in particular, have played a direct role in doing all they could to thwart scientific reasoning and progress. Humanity has lost centuries in scientific development because of the hindrance caused by religious brainwashing and religious persecutions. In contrast communism has had mostly a negative impact on the economic and democratic development of a few countries (Soviet bloc, China, North Korea, Cuba) for merely a few decades, not centuries. This is why Christianity and Islam have definitely plagued the world far more than communism.

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Religious people tend to have lower I.Q.'s. Or they're just smart people pretending to be dumb 24/7. Hope makes us dream up a lot of strange fantasies XD

Other - Realpolitik. Thank Bismarck and Konrad Adenauer for that.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1 (M253)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    European Mix

Best contribution from Germany is... drum role please... her people. What else could it be?

Regarding German music I've got: Bach, Pachelbel, and Orff. And to the commenter who spooks from listening to O'Fortuna too loudly-- I've got the cure-- Nena's 99 Luftballons! (German version of course).

P.S. Nena is now in her fifties and looks fantastic.
    Last edited by nordicwarrior; 15-01-14 at 02:52.

From my distant observer point of view, I see them as a culture focused on order, quality and efficiency. They also have considerable amounts of productive land, people, and resources. So it is the right combination for being competitive in anything they choose to be. Also, whoever has messed with them, has seen things get really messy...

Banned

European population control. At the midcentury as result of medicine advancment population of Europe exploded out of control. Germans did somthing about it. Killed 60 milion directly or indirectly, and cleaned a lot of undesirables. There are all over Europe cemetaries that carry German signature. No mater what Germans will do or have done they will remember for ever for the above contribution.

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

I see we have a nazi sympathizer over here, "killed a lot of the undesirables". They killed 60 million, a good thing from Albanopolis's point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by albanopolis View Post
    Killed 60 milion directly or indirectly.
    The ones who participated in that are gravely responsible, even the simple soldiers, but there is barely anyone left alive.

Banned

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    I see we have a nazi sympathizer over here, "killed a lot of the undesirables". They killed 60 million, a good thing from Albanopolis's point of view.
    Adamo! I don't think you are serious! How can one with right mind, and my age, sympathise with killings! But that's the bitter truth, Adamo! When Germany is mentioned the first thing comes to mind is not Bethoven, Laibnitz or Werner von Brown!

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

I've moved all off topic posts here:
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...n-and-Morality

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast