Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 78

Thread: Reputation points

  1. #51
    No Longer a Member
    Join Date
    06-03-05
    Location
    Okayama, Japan
    Age
    45
    Posts
    374


    Ethnic group
    Native American
    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by NovaTeacher
    What I meant to say was,
    If people have only a few green lights, I assume they speak their mind, direct and not scared of confrontation (or a troll).
    I don't look for fights, but I'm not at all averse to saying I disagree, and then attempting to articulate (without attacking the person) just why I disagree. I don't see any point in making a point with an insult, as in many cases, that will degenerate into just a lot of mudslinging. Were I up for simple mudslinging, I'd find a MSN chess room to do that in.

    Even attempting to do all that, I have gotten a massive amount of negative rep at another forum. It just had a few very militant liberals, ones who kept on seeing the fairly clear disagreement I was giving. Guess they had their 'evil Christian fundamentalist goggles on', cause I was simply arguing that Christians were not wrong in saying a gay could control their impulses, but that I disagreed with the legislation of Christian morals. They kept giving me negative rep asking how the hell I could legislate my morals. The hell was I going to quit my argument just cause they kept giving me negative rep and missing my argument. After a lot of back and forth posts, they finally understood what I had been saying all along, and agreed with me. (I'm not Christian anymore, but my argument still remains the same, and can be found in this thread). I will continue an argument I believe in despite negative rep, yet I will try to stay away from simple mudslinging (once in a while I feel I've got to throw it back).

    I haven't been on this forum long but I can feel some differences.
    I think maybe people who care about the green lights talk like those managers who want to be liked by everyone.
    On the other hand it does make people think and communicate their ideas in a more harmonious and understandable way.
    It's very Japanese.
    Hmmm....well, being liked or disliked will happen, and I won't worry that someone will dislike me, cause it usually happens that one, two, or a few people on every forum I've been to do actually dislike me. Errr, well, I don't know that people will suddenly stop articulating their true opinions just cause someone might redcard them.

  2. #52
    Mike Cash
    Guest


    Ricky Nelson said it best, perhaps

    "But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
    You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

  3. #53
    Mikawa Ossan
    Guest


    How many people on this forum do you honestly think actively pursue reputation in one way or the other? Put differently, how many people on this forum do you think really are concerned with being liked or not?

    I can understand younger members wanting to feel afirmed by their peers; it's a natural desire at a time when you're forming your worldview. It's the same reason that say high school students seem to have an inborn tendency to form cliques. Mankind is after all a social beast.

    However, once one passes a certain age, outward recognition often becomes less of a factor in determining one's behavior. Once you've gained a certain amount of self-confidence, it's much easier to take a few hits and have people disagree with you.

    Based on this reasoning, I would tend to assume that any member above a certain age would not find reputation to be a factor one way or the other in choosing how he or she writes posts.

    Even if someone does care about receiving reputation, what does that matter? Why should I, you, or anyone else be offended by that? Because it's "fake"? Who cares? I would wager that the average poster on this forum will never meet over 99% of the other members here. So what does it matter?

    Frankly, I'm quite suprised by how much attention this thread has received. It seems to me that the majority of people are posting the same thing: reputation doesn't matter. And yet we keep posting. Why is that?

  4. #54
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    That's a very good question, Mikawa. Erm..... why am I posting this?

  5. #55
    Angel of Life Kara_Nari's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-05-05
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Age
    40
    Posts
    147


    Country: South Korea



    Hahah, im gonna jump on board and have a bit of a say.
    Look at me! I got a pretty light green light! Wow, what a surprise!
    Its lucky because green is my favourite colour, and im guessing it just goes hand in hand with all the other good things that happened today!
    I wonder if it has anything to do with Karma? Yesterday I gave a lovely monk some money, I have no idea what it was for, but anyway, with him being a monk, its bound to be for something good.

    After that my luck changed! Everything was going so-so borderline bad, and then not even 12 hours later, everything was looking up!
    Wow, I really did go on, accept my apologies, and feel free to go on talking about the pretty green lights.

    What if it really represented how many times you'd been abducted by some green slime eating, snot bearing creature??? Heeheh!

    Kara-Nari Smarty-Pants Wiz-Girl of the Southern Pacific Queen of Communication and International Arbitration and Diplomatic Solutions to Hairy Territorial Issues Her Majesty the Empress コクネ・ you quite rightly deserve the title for your individuality !

  6. #56
    Chukchi Salmon
    Join Date
    22-12-04
    Location
    Sunny South Korea
    Posts
    642


    Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian
    Country: South Korea



    Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
    [R]eputation doesn't matter. And yet we keep posting. Why is that ?
    Because there is an injustice in the system, a betrayer among us, a coconspirator scheming to take over the remaining good areas over to the bad guys... by disrupting the rep system, by planting discord, by insinuating this member and that, with doubts, with jealousy, with hatred, and the desire to kill. It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spells it tries to cast upon us unawares. When all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton, the Japanese cousin of Batman. Call out to him, chanting in unison,

    "O bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again.
    Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !"
    Last edited by lexico; 05-10-05 at 18:28. Reason: add nuts emoti

  7. #57
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    lol @ you all..... ..... Red is my favourite colour - bring on the bad rep!!!

  8. #58
    The Hairy Wookie Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    51
    Posts
    914


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    Because there is an injustice in the system, a betrayer among us, a coconspirator scheming to take over the remaining good areas over to the bad guys... by disrupting the rep system, by planting discord, by insinuating this member and that, with doubts, with jealousy, with hatred, and the desire to kill. It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spell it tries to cast upon us unawares; and when all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton, the Japanese cousin of batman, call out to him, "o bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again. Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !"
    Oh dear! Looks like Lex has finally gone mad. Maybe we should have purple balls for those that have lost the plot. The more you get, the closer to a straight jacket you get. Until you make it to fully padded cell status. At that point just stick two pencils up your nose, underpants on your head and type "wibble" on every thread.

  9. #59
    FIGHTING FOR JPOP Dutch Baka's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-05
    Location
    amsterdam
    Age
    36
    Posts
    340


    Ethnic group
    dutch
    Country: Japan-Hyogo



    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    lol @ you all..... ..... Red is my favourite colour - bring on the bad rep!!!

    I cant.. you should be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NAUGHTY THEN... but ... mmm you aren't

  10. #60
    The Hairy Wookie Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    51
    Posts
    914


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    Kinsao being naughty. Hmmmm, I'm starting to get thoughts I shouldn't. Damn you Dutch for putting them things in my head

  11. #61
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Baka
    I cant.. you should be VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY NAUGHTY THEN... but ... mmm you aren't
    Little do you know.......

    *grabs Mycernius and runs towards the man with the straight jacket*

  12. #62
    Mikawa Ossan
    Guest


    Quote Originally Posted by lexico
    It is the devil that is on trial, therefore we must keep posting to ward off the evil spells it tries to cast upon us unawares. When all else fails, all you need to do is to call out to Golden Skeleton, the Japanese cousin of Batman. Call out to him, chanting in unison,
    OK, everyone, all together now:

    "O bat, o bat, o golden bat. The splitter's among us again.
    Come and get him, come here quick. Chase him out with a whacking stick !"

  13. #63
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    *chants* "O bat, o bat, o golden bat...."


  14. #64
    DON'T PANIC! Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Wow Lex, looks like you started a cult. Well, I can't beat you, so

    o bat, o bat, o golden bat
    something about his wearing a hat *can't find a bat smiley*

    (or something)

  15. #65
    Mike Cash
    Guest



  16. #66
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by mikecash


    .......... wibble.............

  17. #67
    Horizon Rider Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    42
    Posts
    591


    Country: United Kingdom



    I would like to ask, is it possible to retract reputation points?
    I'm asking because my most recent point appears to have disappeared from my list. Did someone change their mind? I'm not bothered if they did, I was just curious, because I didn't know that was possible... ... Or can they get subtracted by admin as a punishment for misbehaviour? In which case I would prefer to get a warning pm...

  18. #68
    Unswerving bicyclist thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-03-02
    Posts
    145


    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    I would like to ask, is it possible to retract reputation points?
    I'm asking because my most recent point appears to have disappeared from my list. Did someone change their mind? I'm not bothered if they did, I was just curious, because I didn't know that was possible... ... Or can they get subtracted by admin as a punishment for misbehaviour? In which case I would prefer to get a warning pm...
    Here's your answer

    => http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

    No one can subtract your reputation points. Check the same thread for the new extended rep system.

  19. #69
    suirai
    Guest


    Performance Points for the Server

    What I want to know is where I can add or subtract "performance" points for this server? Sometimes this server reminds me of my TRASH 80 days. Input a command and come back after lunch -- if you're lucky.

    Oh well, what's a poor little member like me to do?
    .
    .
    .
    .

  20. #70
    suirai
    Guest


    Getting Interesting

    This post has not received any reputation. You currently have 58 reputation points.
    Okay, my curiosity got the better of me after reading this thread and I went poking around to figure out this "reputation" system, and I must say some of the lines are downright funny. Like the one I found that read, "Add to suirai's Reputation." Now that is funny. I'd say that the use of the word "reputation" in that line is a little odd, no? Anyway, it's cute.

    Then I went and found that message above. How in heaven's name I managed to con some of you into giving me "reputation" points is beyond my simple comprehension. I suppose I'm supposed to say thank you, but I'm not so sure what I did.

    Anyway, I have absolutely no intention of letting this point system influence me in any way. But that little check of the system was entertaining, I must say.

    But about my message about server performance points, that's a different story. I might just start my own "Server Performance Points" thread with comments for each plus or minus awarding of points. For example if this message took too long to type and disappears.

  21. #71
    suirai
    Guest


    Just A Minute

    I just thought about something, we modify the word "reputation" with good or bad. So are those 58 "bad" reputation points? I'd better understand if they were.

    I know one "reputation" I must be getting:
    "suirai just keeps going on and on and on. When's he gonna stop, for gosh sakes? Let's give this turkey 100 BAD REP points. Yeah, that'll shut him up!!!"

  22. #72
    Unswerving bicyclist thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    14-03-02
    Posts
    145


    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by suirai
    What I want to know is where I can add or subtract "performance" points for this server? Sometimes this server reminds me of my TRASH 80 days. Input a command and come back after lunch -- if you're lucky.
    Oh well, what's a poor little member like me to do?
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Well, sponsor our next Dual Xeon. We'll mention you as Superdonator.

    Btw, there seem to be some issues with your keyboard, there are a lot of
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    in each of your posts.

  23. #73
    gunjin Carlson's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-10-05
    Location
    Tokyo
    Age
    35
    Posts
    47


    Country: Japan



    i have an extra 5 year old Dell for ya... lol
    Picture Tokyo

    Catholic - which I was until I reached the age of reason.
    I've found him, I have Jesus in the trunk. - George Carlin Religion Quotes

  24. #74
    suirai
    Guest


    No problem with the keyboard, but maybe with the keyboardist.

    I sent a PM to our Dear Admin.

    By the way, Carlson, I see you're still keeping that aircraft aloft even with that Red X I wrote up in your log book. I think missing a wing definitely rates a Red X.

  25. #75
    Junior Member ukbulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    28-02-09
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Baka View Post
    i think it is nice to get some kind of respect in this way, and when you get a bad rep,, you can think about what you put wrong in that post... i dont think rep points are that bad, and if you dont like it, just disable it!!!
    I totally agree. But my rep sux so il disable it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Do the French deserve their reputation as weak-kneed?
    By strongvoicesforward in forum European Culture & History
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 08-12-18, 15:40
  2. "Reputation Points" : RULES
    By Maciamo in forum Site & Forum Updates
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-02-15, 19:15
  3. The question of the needed number of points.
    By ACourvoisier in forum Site Feedback/Admin Contact
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-11, 18:53
  4. Fossil DNA points to new branch of humanity
    By Eochaidh in forum Paleogenetics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-11, 12:18
  5. Q&A : When should I give reputation to someone ?
    By Maciamo in forum Site & Forum Updates
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-06-04, 01:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •