Thread: Short tour around Lithuania

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Aryan :)

1 members found this post helpful.

Exclamation Short tour around Lithuania

Hi there,
    Well, since I'm a lithuanian, I'd like to introduce You with my beloved country Lithuania. It's a Baltic State, located in the Middle of Europe, surrounded by such countries as Poland, Latvia, Belarus. Here's a map:

History:
    For the first time Lithuania was mentioned in 1009 in Qedlinburg annals. The Lithuania as a state emerged in early XIIIth century after the union of the main lands. Mindaugas became the Grand Duke of Lithuania at about 1240. At the end of XIVth - and the beginnning of the XV century Lithuania became one of the most powerful states in the Eastern Europe. Almost for the whole two centuries German crusaders invaded the pagan state, though Lithuania was not conquered. Lithuanians fougth bravely for their state and religion. They built castles which are admired even today for their defensive construction. In 1410 united armies of Great Dutchty of Lithunia and Poland inflicted a severe defeat to the Teutonic Knights in defence of their liberty. At the same time the Great Dutchty of Lithuania stood in the way of the attacks of the Mongols-Tatars into the West and helped the Eastern European nations to figth against the Golden Horde. In 1569 the Union of Liublin, sealed the Poland-Lithuania Union into a Commonwealth (Rzecspospolita), while later in the XVIIth century Lithuania became one of its three provinces. After partitioning of the Commmonwealth in 1795, Lithuania was incorporated into Russia. For more than one century Lithuania fought against tsarist oppresion. Only on February 16, 1918 Lithuania proclaimed the act of independence and restoration of statehood. Soon afterwards the independent state of Lithuania was recognized by the largest states of the world and Europe. Lithuania established diplomatic relations with many of them. Only 22 years were allowed for the independent state of Lithuania. In 1940 the Soviet Union occupied Lithuania. The occupants subjugated the nation's liberty and existence. The Lithuania nation fought bravely against the occupants for their independence, although they were outnumbered. The desire for independence was not subdued by the fifty-year occupation. Alongside with dissolution of the Soviet Union, the last colonial empire of the world, on March 11, 1990 Lithuania proclaimed its restoration of statehood. Diplomatic relations were renewed with many of the world's countries The old clock of the Cathedral tower strikes the hours counting the time of freedom. Every morning the sounds of this clock are transmitted by radio. A New day begins. One should mention the Lithuanian scientists, architects and restorers, who returned to life a number of historical and architectural monuments, especialy in the Old Town district of Vilnius - the largest in the Eastern Europe. Lithuania has 14 schools of higher learning and among them the oldest University in the East Europe - the Vilnius University, founded in 1579. Lithuania Language is important for those who study origin of languages. It differs from other modern Indo-European languages for its archaism. A large Centre of Baltic philology is established in Vilnius and the Lithuanian language is taught in many countries of the world.
    1. 2. 3.
    4. 5. 6. 7.

1. King Mindaugas
    2. Duke Gediminas
    3. Gediminas' Castle
    4. Kaunas' City hall
    5. Trakai Castle
    6. St. Anns Church
    7. Vilnius Cathedral

Lithuania's landscapes:

Prices:
    For a visitor from Western Europe, USA, and other well economically developed country prices of accomodations, food and other services are pretty low. For example a 0,5 l bottle of beer costs approximately 0,70€/0,80$ and its quality is far better than great (Find out yourself). Pack of Barclay cigarettes - 1,6€/1,9$; and so on. Of course prices can vary depending on the city you're visiting and the season.

If You ever go to Lithuania, make sure you visit its largest cities like Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipeda, and of course Baltic Sea coast, especially Nida's region. Since Lithuania is already a part of EU, visitors from Europe don't need any special documents, except their ID card.

I highly recommend to visit our country to all, who appreciate pure, unspoiled nature, cheap, tasty beer and hang out with our beautiful lithuanian women... :)

Misc.:
    A featurette called "Flight Over Lithuania". Awarded in the Cannes festival for its originality (199x). Worth seeing, really. [~90Mb]
    ftp://anonymous:guest8277183%40files...%20lietuva.avi
    (Since I'm not responsible for this ftp, I cannot assure You this link won't be broken in the future)
    Last edited by dziewuliz; 14-06-05 at 23:31.

THE CRAZY OLD GUY !! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    German/French/Scottish

Wow, Thanks For Sharing !

Nice to see a new member jump in and post things. Your country sure has a rich history.

Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!

I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

that one picture looks like a huge sand dune...

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Aryan :)

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis
    that one picture looks like a huge sand dune...
    Actually it is a huge sand dune... :)

3 months registered

Lithuania is a very beautiful country.

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 13.0%

How safe is Lithuania compared to other Baltic countries?

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

A few weeks ago I visited Lithuania,Klaipeda. It is a very interesting city, with it is own architecture, cuisine and friendly people. I have been staying in a Dunetton hotel,so can recommend it everyone. It is located near the citycenter, the stuff in a hotel is very friendly and pleasant,rooms are very modern and new- renovated, their restaurant impressed me too. So I liked Lithuania and Klaipeda- it was wonderful

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%

Yes, Lithuania is really a beautiful and safe country. I was there last year. I spend two weeks in Vilnius and one week near the Baltic Sea. I decided to <a href="https://baltictours.com/info/tours-in-nida/">travel to Nida</a> , since I thought it would be beautiful. However, I was wrong. It was more than beautiful, it was absolutely perfect! Highly recommend Lithuania for your summer vacations. Loved it!