Ethics Notions about Good and Evil

1] What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
[2] For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
[3] For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
[4] Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
[5] But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
[6] Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
[7] Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
[8] Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
[9] Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
[10] How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
[11] And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
[12] And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
[13] For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
[14] For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
[15] Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
[16] Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,
[17] (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
[18] Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
[19] And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:
[20] He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
[21] And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
[22] And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
[23] Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
[24] But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
[25] Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Hi, Jarvis.
Let me ask you this; Where is the fruit of your faith ?
For the good Lord had said, "I will put an axe to the root if the tree does not bear fruit."
I see nothing but anger and hatred in your posts against whoever's not in your extended racial/sectarian group.
What happened to the two commandments ? Do they mean anything to you ? Do you even believe in Jesus and his teachings ? Where is you compassion and tolerance for ha goyim in your midst :?

Jarvis said:
I am goyim.
No, you're not. You're the new Judah, remember ?

Jarvis said:
what anger and hate ?
For people of the Islamic faith, and the African Americans, and non-Christians, and all the other lesser varieties of humans you despise and deem unworthy... perhaps including yourself.

Jarvis said:
where did I say that ?
Never mind if you didn't mean it; I'm not a legalist. I'm glad in a way; just please stop the racial bashing.

The ancestors of the African-Americans mentioned in the American Renaissence article by a Mr. Taylor would not have been in New Orleans had they not been taken slaves and brought there in the first place. Even if the incidents referred to reflect at least some truth, that article is hot stuff that will not go unjudged in the high court, I'm afraid, for the almighty Lord knows all.

What is the good fruit Jarvis? More to the point, what does it mean to believe in God? Would it include compassion? Empathy?

Revenant said:
What is the good fruit Jarvis? More to the point, what does it mean to believe in God? Would it include compassion? Empathy?

1. http://www.keyway.ca/htm2004/20041210.htm
2. everything
3. yes
4. yes

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not love, I am nothing.

And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profiteth me nothing.

Love suffereth long, and is kind; love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Love never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

I know those passages very well. Now, what is love? Define it! Love is the greatest, so we need to define it right? This is something that I also thought a lot about, and in the end, the Buddhist idea of love made a lot of sense to me.

To me, love is to hope for and actively bring someone happiness. It is to end unnecessary suffering whenever possible. Your definition?

jarvis said:
and I am goyim if you beleive the idiotic talmud
I really hope you are being sarcastic. The "idiotic talmud" as you put it is the basis of your faith ie: The Old Testament.
And please quit with the constant quotations from the Bible. Other people on this forum who are Christian manage without them and can still put relevent points across without them.
Lexico said:
I see nothing but anger and hatred in your posts against whoever's not in your extended racial/sectarian group.
I can see it as well

The Torah Shebiksav (or Tanach) is 24 books we commonly call "The Old Testament." The Talmud has six Seders or sections written in 188 and the late 600's AD.

jarvis- I would never question your faith, but the sources you have cited and the focus and tenor of some of your posts lead me and apparently a few others here to question your character.

Everybody is born Normal... no good nor evil. as they get older, they start to learn things, from their surounding. when you get to learn that stealing is good, you will do it to.. when all your friends do it you will do it to...

i think an important thing of becoming evil is first of all; how did you get raised up; did you get enough attention? did your mom or dad beat you up now and then? this can damage you bad, and might want to payback for what happen, and think to get beaten, etc is normal, so you can do it too to other people!

another things is Money... money has become to important in people there lives, and they know it, money gives power!!! when you have money you can do many things, but also people want to do things with you... if you combine this things together, i think there will become evil....

MONEY, POWER, HOW TO GET RAISED...

but yeah... who decide what is evil or good?

The truth about good and evil !

Most of you have bought up bibilical references as to what good and evil is , well, most of you are dead wrong. In fact, it's almost puerile to believe such notions anymore.

The notion of good, as history would suggest, is an opinion; It has always been that way. Good and Evil both co-exist within a universal balance or a
symbiosis of sorts. If everybody was good then how would you know if we were truly good unless we had Evil to gage ourselves ?

Hitler tried to annihilate the Jews because in his eye's the Jews were a threat to the security and prosperity of the German nation; in his eye's this was seen as GOOD !

Tojo was responsible for the murder of over 20 million people during WW2; in his opinion this was Good because in his eye's it ensured the security and prosperity of Japan.

Big Bad Idi Amin Dada(Former dictator/general of Uganda) murdered millions blacks and asians in order to protect his legacy and power; in his eye's this was seen as good, not evil.

And like so many other opinions in this world , opinions are subject to change albeit in varying degrees.

Evil:

The teenager who has an abortion because she can't support a child , let alone herself. In her eye's this is seen as evil but in the long run she see's it as good or the other way around.

The pastor who take money from the poor then uses it to buy a nice house and a big car so he can ride around in the ghetto's telling everybody " look what God gave me, ain't he good?"

The Korean shopkeeper that hardly speaks English who goes into the poorest and most crime invested ghetto's and opens up a liquor store, not a school, not a library, not a drug rehab center but a liquor store. Now, not only is there rampant drugs and prostitution and gang violence in these poor area's but now there are liquor store added to the mix and on every corner that sells booze as a way to keep people drunk Monday through Friday. And on that same block you have churches !
Of all my travels around the world I have never seen so many churches and liqour stores on one corner in my whole life. The slums of America were designed as a deathtrap for lower income people . Sunday they get to ask God for forgiveness while giving money to the hypocrite pastor then after church they head on over to the liqour store so they can get drunk all over again. This is seen as good, right ? After all, you don't see this type of set up in affluent neighborhood, do you ?

The harmony of good and evil is what brings balance to civility.

Forgive me if I ramble but here goes.. I have long argued that there is no such things as 'Good' or 'Bad' because these things are culturaly and historically located and generally speaking they can be measured on a sliding scale of just 'How bad' or 'How good' which leaves lots of areas rather grey. For a clearer working definition of good or bad then I prefer 'desirable' or 'undesirable'. This applies only to the actions of an individual when applied to another living creature. I firmly believe that you cannot knowingly commit an act of evil/bad (Undesirable) against oneself.

So armed with this knowledge how do I define 'Evil'? Well in a sense I don't. You see I come back to the point - there is only desirable and undesirable. Therefore anything undesirable could be classed as wrong/bad/evil. Evil is a loaded term, it is loaded with malevolence and is used (I believe) when someone finds their senses so stupified by an act of badness which they find diificult to express, explain or understand. So to make themselves feel better they apply the name Evil and in a way by doing so they need no longer try to understand what really happened because Evil = Diabolical or senseless and therefore requires no explanation.

re: The truth about good and evil !

McTojo said:
Most of you have bought up bibilical references as to what good and evil is , well, most of you are dead wrong. In fact, it's almost puerile to believe such notions anymore.

The notion of good, as history would suggest, is an opinion; It has always been that way. Good and Evil both co-exist within a universal balance or a
symbiosis of sorts. If everybody was good then how would you know if we were truly good unless we had Evil to gage ourselves ?

Hitler tried to annihilate the Jews because in his eye's the Jews were a threat to the security and prosperity of the German nation; in his eye's this was seen as GOOD !

Tojo was responsible for the murder of over 20 million people during WW2; in his opinion this was Good because in his eye's it ensured the security and prosperity of Japan.

Big Bad Idi Amin Dada(Former dictator/general of Uganda) murdered millions blacks and asians in order to protect his legacy and power; in his eye's this was seen as good, not evil.

And like so many other opinions in this world , opinions are subject to change albeit in varying degrees.

Evil:

The teenager who has an abortion because she can't support a child , let alone herself. In her eye's this is seen as evil but in the long run she see's it as good or the other way around.

The pastor who take money from the poor then uses it to buy a nice house and a big car so he can ride around in the ghetto's telling everybody " look what God gave me, ain't he good?"

The Korean shopkeeper that hardly speaks English who goes into the poorest and most crime invested ghetto's and opens up a liquor store, not a school, not a library, not a drug rehab center but a liquor store. Now, not only is there rampant drugs and prostitution and gang violence in these poor area's but now there are liquor store added to the mix and on every corner that sells booze as a way to keep people drunk Monday through Friday. And on that same block you have churches !
Of all my travels around the world I have never seen so many churches and liqour stores on one corner in my whole life. The slums of America were designed as a deathtrap for lower income people . Sunday they get to ask God for forgiveness while giving money to the hypocrite pastor then after church they head on over to the liqour store so they can get drunk all over again. This is seen as good, right ? After all, you don't see this type of set up in affluent neighborhood, do you ?
You work so hard to break down the definition of good and evil...
The harmony of good and evil
but go on to use the two terms you just undermined ?
... is what brings balance to civility.
civility ? Okay, to add the frosting. You've done a wonderful job of self-refutation by that oxymoron. As for the underpriviledged slum dwellers who go to church on Sunday, you really shouldn't take away what they have, for it's all they got, hope, faith, and love - all wrapped up in a promise that is meant ot be fulfilled. And you cannot possibly prove that promise will never be fulfilled; that is what lies at the heart of Christianity. In fact, those of west European descent are the benefactors of 2 millenia of preferential upbringing in the name of the Church which evolved esp. strong in western Europe and the countries it spawned. You should be grateful for what you've got, and be generous accordingly.

This thread has been viewed 19539 times.

Back