Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: London Attacks (UPDATE)

London Attacks (UPDATE)

I'm not writing this because i want to, i am writing because i feel i have to.

As those who read my last post will know, a friend and colleague, Jon, was officially reported missing after the attacks on London. I received a call last night from my father who had just finished speaking with a close friend of Jon's. When he asked me if i was sitting down, i knew that what i had feared was true.
    He was killed in the blast at Edgware Road, and i can only hope that any suffering was short lived and that he is now in a place free from the evils of this world, hopefully with an unlimited supply of cold beer and somewhere where he can sit and talk with Joe Strummer.

I only knew Jon for little over a year and at first we weren't close, i'd even go as far to say I didn't like him.
    Over time however we became mates and we shared a common interest in music, although his knowledge far exceded mine and he got me interested in bands like The Damned, Exploited and The Clash. One of his favourite bands was Half Man, Half Biscuit...A band i'd never even heard of.

As i began to know him i realised that he was a quiet and quite private man. One thing i admired most about him was that he wasn't a bullsh1tter. He knew what he talked about and he wasn't a man caught up in the corporate boll0cks.

He was a big fan of Liverpool FC and you could practically feel the grin on his face when they won the Champions League, almost like it was his boys that had won it, especially for him.

It's funny how every trivial conversation you ever had runs through your head. Everything from the best songs on Nevermind the Boll0cks by the sex pistols to the chores you hate doing. The conversation we had about shiny taps still makes me smile.

He was a very cool character, nothing seemed to worry him. He was also a p1ss taker and probably would have laughed if he could have seen me break down into tears as i listened to London Calling by the Clash.

So if you could all put that song on and think of my friend who died in a war that wasn't his and for the 3 minutes and 19 seconds you could spare a thought for his family and friends and for all those who lost someone close in the Attacks last Thursday.

Here's to you Jon.

Peace.

Sorry Smoke to hear about the loss of your friend. I hope that the fond memories of your friendship will stay with you for many years to come. Um im really not good when it comes to offering condolences... but im thinking of you... and my sympathy goes out to all families and friends affected by the London attack.

Kara-Nari Smarty-Pants Wiz-Girl of the Southern Pacific Queen of Communication and International Arbitration and Diplomatic Solutions to Hairy Territorial Issues Her Majesty the Empress コクネ・ you quite rightly deserve the title for your individuality !

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

smoke, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. He sounds like the kind of strong individual I would like to have known. I would like to offer my condolences to you.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke
    The conversation we had about shiny taps still makes me smile.
    This wouldn't be an allusion to Salad Fingers, would it? I love Salad Fingers.

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

smoke, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It's just such a shame this had to happen.

My condolences to you and everyone affected by his death.
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

All your support is greatly appreciated.
    But please, do not have sympathy for me...it belongs to others.

London Bombings - Charitable Fund

Ethnic group
    Asian-American (half-Vietnamese) born in Saigon but raised in America.

A shame about the loss of your colleague. Hopefully those responsible for this heinous turn of events can and will be brought to justice at some point (a small consolation for the survivors and victim's families...).
    FYI: I am out of town and offline for the time being until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Chef
    A shame about the loss of your colleague. Hopefully those responsible for this heinous turn of events can and will be brought to justice at some point (a small consolation for the survivors and victim's families...).
    I hope so too.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    This wouldn't be an allusion to Salad Fingers, would it? I love Salad Fingers.
    ?
    In the UK taps are faucets.
    We had a conversation about cleaning (very random i know) and he said his mother always brought him up to have shiny taps.

Ethnic group
    I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences...

Ethnic group
    Asian

I'm really sorry for your loss, smoke.
    It sounds like you had a very special connection with your friend Jon. I can not imagine the pain you and anyone around him are going through.

I hope those who caused too much suffering to too many people will be brought to justice.

Economist in Residence lonesoullost3's Avatar

Ethnic group
    Caucasian...Polish and French I think

I had my hopes that they would find him safe and sound - I'm so sorry smoke. I can only imagine what it's like to lose someone like this. Just know we're here for you if you need to talk more.
    http://www.operationdeep.org
    Create Possibilities.

All your kind words and support are really appreciated.

It's strange, i know it's hapened, but it doesn't seem real. I still think i'll see him someday, back in work...and i think "Oh, he was gonna lend me that album" and things like that. I don't know if, subconciously, i've accepted it or if i haven't at all.
    All the expect emotions (sadness, anger etc) that you are supposed to go through hit me in this 30 minute window yesterday.
    I also feel selfish...like there are people who deserve condolence more, like his wife, his brother and his closes friends...and i feel be hurt by this is taking it away from them...i know it's crazy but it's how i feel.
    But if i try to get on with life (which is what i have been doing) i feel guilty!

I guess there's no right or wrong way to deal with these sort of things...I'm trying to guess what he'd want. I think he'd want everyone to get on with it, because he was such a cool character...but then i think he'd want everyone to grieve, just to piss people off! (in a joking kind of way).

Anjin

Ethnic group
    Mainly: Italian, German, Scottish, Irish

My deepest condolence for the loss of your friend.
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

Ethnic group
    Anglo-Irish-Norse

Smoke,

Just dropped by and was shocked to learn of your awful news.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

In Sympathy,

ジョン

Just to let everyone know that Jon's funeral will be on Monday 25th of July in his hometown of Corby, Northamptonshire.

Smoke, I'm really sorry I'll be thinking about you - and your friend - on Monday (I live not far from Corby). There are really no words that can be condolences.