Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could learn any language...

wow, it's good to see that so many people wanted to learn chinese!

im learning japanese and i hope that i can use it fluently in time to come.

is teh rabu (*^^) m

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Greek

French, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Persian

Y-DNA haplogroup
    IDK, What to know!
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yup what to knowalso

Want to learn the Ruski ljezik!

If I could really pick the languages , I wouldn`t be greedy ....just ALL the old P and Q Celtic ones!! LOL ! Seriously think how easy it would be to transcribe the scripts and stones if you knew the languages that were used then just as well as you know your own!
    Apart from that "dream" I would like to be fluent in Russian and German :)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1b2-Isles-D1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c2

Ethnic group
    Irish/English, with some Scottish, German and Welsh

Strange question. I can't think of any reason you couldn't start learning any language right now. Don't say lack of time, because short lessons at a regular pace are the best way to learn anyway.

Right now I'm learning Irish. At some point I'd like to learn the other Celtic languages, primarily Welsh and Scottish, but I'll probably start lessons in Russian before that - if for no other reason than I inherited a Rosetta Stone for the language from my mother. I imagine Scottish will come quickly after learning Irish, given their close relationship. I'd like to continue learning French at some point. I took courses in it back in school, but after the courses ended, I dropped the language entirely. I never attained fluency, but I love how the language sounds and flows off the tongue. As someone mentioned earlier, Basque would be an extremely interesting language to learn also.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegah View Post
    Strange question. I can't think of any reason you couldn't start learning any language right now. Don't say lack of time, because short lessons at a regular pace are the best way to learn anyway.

Right now I'm learning Irish. At some point I'd like to learn the other Celtic languages, primarily Welsh and Scottish, but I'll probably start lessons in Russian before that - if for no other reason than I inherited a Rosetta Stone for the language from my mother. I imagine Scottish will come quickly after learning Irish, given their close relationship. I'd like to continue learning French at some point. I took courses in it back in school, but after the courses ended, I dropped the language entirely. I never attained fluency, but I love how the language sounds and flows off the tongue. As someone mentioned earlier, Basque would be an extremely interesting language to learn also.
    Have you any particular reason for wanting to learn Scottish (Gaidhlig) Keegah or do you just like learning languages for your own pleasure? I am learning Gaidhlig at the moment, it was hard at the beginning but then it just clicks Good luck with it :)

I speak Italian (mothertongue), Spanish (fluently) and English (good level, but not exceptional). I started to learn French this year and I found it sooo much more difficult compared to English and Spanish.
    I'd like to learn Portuguese or Catalonian that are really similar to Spanish, so it would take me short time. It would be interesting to study Russian, Chinese and German too, but I think it would be really difficult. I'm curious about the Basque language.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a1b2-Isles-D1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c2

Ethnic group
    Irish/English, with some Scottish, German and Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by hope View Post
    Have you any particular reason for wanting to learn Scottish (Gaidhlig) Keegah or do you just like learning languages for your own pleasure? I am learning Gaidhlig at the moment, it was hard at the beginning but then it just clicks Good luck with it :)
    I enjoy researching the Celtic nations in general, and that's part of why I want to learn their languages. Learning any language other than your own native tongue is enjoyable and beneficial though, as you said. Right now I'm learning Irish mainly because that's my father's primary ethnicity, but afterward I'd like to learn Scottish to be able to better research the full reach of the Gaels. I'm just curious - as an Irishman, why are you choosing to learn Scottish rather than Irish first? Any particular reason?

Cheers. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Keegah View Post
    I enjoy researching the Celtic nations in general, and that's part of why I want to learn their languages. Learning any language other than your own native tongue is enjoyable and beneficial though, as you said. Right now I'm learning Irish mainly because that's my father's primary ethnicity, but afterward I'd like to learn Scottish to be able to better research the full reach of the Gaels. I'm just curious - as an Irishman, why are you choosing to learn Scottish rather than Irish first? Any particular reason?

Cheers. :)
    Well you have really answered your own question there Keeagh, learning any language is fun.

Ethnic group
    Irish, English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Jewish

I would like to learn the languages of all my ancestors (Gaelic, French, German, Polish, Russian and Hebrew). I hope to be fluent in French by the end of the year. Next I would probably finish my German (I know very little, but still more than any of the other languages).

Although my next language is probably going to be Spanish. I currently work for a Mexican-owned company, and if I want to get ahead, I will need Spanish.

Between French and Spanish? I go for French because it is the language of love as they say.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    ?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    ?

Ethnic group
    no roots? im not a plant

I currently speak , French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese, these are all Latin based so its cheating a little bit, but i would love to learn german, because of how different it is to latin based languages.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Probably E-M81

Ethnic group
    Saharan

i want to learn Tamazight(atlas berber)because it's part of my heritage ,and also German and Dutch :)

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV2a1 +G13708A

Ethnic group
    Kurdish

I was going to say Japanese

For a speaker of any Indo-European language is not too hard to learn, in one degree or another, any of the other languages ​​of this family; anyone of them: Romance languages​​, Nordic, Germanic, Celtic, Slavic, Baltic or Balcanic, etc..
    That is, we know, by the similarities morphological, syntactic and lexical, reason why are grouped in the same family: The Indo-European.
    ¿But what about the Afro-Asian languages​​?

probably Japanese.
    since Japanese culture is so attractive. (especially with their good manners)
    and want to travel to japan but speaking in Japanese.

I had mastered a Asian language Cantonese (the Hong Kong one)
    so I just want to learn other foreign language then.

French. It's classy. But so far i learned english and deutch. And little bit ukrainian and croatian.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L48+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    English

French, because I like the language and culture. I've studied Japanese and Spanish, but much prefer French.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21 (R-DF13)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1 (H1h1) or (H1e1)

Ethnic group
    Spanish

Sadly I don't know full Spanish so I would like to learn more Spanish because it's my blood and also Galician for the same reasons.
    I would like to learn Breton because it's a Celtic language and I enjoy Celtic culture and Brittany and Galicia have things in common.
    Also other Romance languages like Italian (i know a bit of Italian) and French because I enjoy the languages and comparing them.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV0e

Ethnic group
    Central European

I would definitely choose:
    English - the No. 1 language of the world communication
    Chinese - will become the most important after English soon
    German - because I like it (past family connections)
    Spanish - important not only in Latin America but the US as well

Additional languages:
    Arabic - for those wishing to work in the Near, Middle East, North Africa or in Governmental Services

Y-DNA haplogroup
    D2a1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a4

Ethnic group
    Australian/Irish/European

Although I would like to learn Spanish and Italian, my first preference would be Russian. I have little difficulty getting my tongue around Russian words but the Cyrillic writing may be a different matter.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1b2a1a2f*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1c1

Ethnic group
    Irish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Iroquois, English

I'd like to learn Attic Greek. It would be interesting to read the texts of Plato, Heron, Socrates, Hippocrates, etc.. in the original Greek form, not translated to Modern Greek or English.

Ethnic group
    Yugoslav

Even though it wouldn't be very useful in my daily life, I have always wanted to learn Turkish. There's so much history within the borders of Turkey and I've always been interested in the history of that region.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    D2a1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a4

Ethnic group
    Australian/Irish/European

Probably Russian, I seem to be able to get my tongue around Russian words pretty easily.

German first.

Also Greek and Italian, and probably Spanish.

If languages could be learned quickly life would be nicer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12