What is a hero?

We all have basically the same idea as to what a hero is. But have we ever looked at one of our family members being a hero? Our brothers, our sister, and our parents?

I dont really believe in things like heroes. I think its more that people have heroic qualities, or happen to perform a heroic action, but that doesnt make them a hero. Just like how people have other qualities. I mean, a guy steals a cookie to quench his diabetic thirst; does that define him as a theif?

I dont think so.I think its just one of the shades of many qualities that help people to become three-dimensional human beings.

In the end, each person is just another shmuck in a world of schmoes.

Well isn't it the action that makes the man/woman ? To be more precise, thought, words, and deeds should all count. But I understand what you mean to emphasise; the notion of hero as a transcental being can be misleading, and hence you choose to deny the positive existence of hero beyond what is human.

Pondering upon the cryptic meaning, "The times make the hero, not the hero the times," and the strange practice of embellishing biography writing, what Winter says might just be true. Nevertheless how often does one see true genius ? Once in a blue moon, a hundred years, with each cycle of Halley's comet ? Another point of view would ask, "What good is genius when there is no need for it ?"

To define hero, one must presuppose a great problem in need of a great deed normally unexpected of an average human being of average human qualities. Any deed, whether of natural talent, hard work, or spontaneous courage~brilliance to solve the insurmountable threat at hand can be called a heroic deed. Therefore it may be said that there are heroic moments, where the person performs a heroic deed. The rest is myth-making to portray that as something rational in retrospect; the "hero" in real life could very well fail our expectations.

Oskar Schindler or Sugihara Chiune honored by Israel as "The Just among the Gentiles" for saving many Jews from Nazi genocide were not angels with impeccable lives; yet they filled the great need for works of compassion when there was none around them. To call them heroes or not is up to biographers and critics of posterity who often decide for the readers; but their deeds of saving lives are indisputably heoric.

he·ro [ Pronunciation Key (hîr) ]
n. pl. he·roes

1. In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
2. A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
3. A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.
4. The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.

I like things to be what they seem, therefore I like dictionaries.

@Winter - I think I understand what you mean, but I am all for giving credit where it is due, so why not call someone a hero if they make a positive contribution? I don't think your analogy works, as you are looking there at one deperate act of self-preservation, and surely we would only consider someone a hero if they act for others.

@Lexico - I agree that heroes don't have to be superhuman - IMO it is their human limitations that make their acts so heroic. If a man who can barely swim saves a boy from drowning, don't we consider him all the more heroic than if he were an olympic swimmer?

If one act of heroism is enough to identify one as a hero, than one act of unlawfulness is enough to identify one as a criminal by your standards, Tsuyoiko, and I dont buy that. Of course, I am known for misunderstanding people, which might be the case here.

Furthormore, your statement regarding anyone making a positive contribution can be recognized as a hero, this is obviously majorly subjective. Take A. Hitler. He made a 'positive' contribution to those who were brainwashed to believe the aryan destiny. Take your logic into that distorted reality, and viola; a hero he was.

Regardless, I dont buy that whole hero stuff. Then again, in the end I dont particularily care that much, so I guess you could define me as an android, or some other apathetic synthetic creation; which I'm not.

I agree, Winter, one act of heroism won't make history consider you a hero, but you might be a hero for the moment. It's about motives. You're a hero if you act unselfishly to help someone in need, just like you're not a criminal if you act out of desperation - the motivation in both cases is positive, so we see both favourably.

pff i reallly have to tell you guys again ne:

I AM A HERO

I am goodlooking, i save people there lives, i give inspiration to many, and i dont care about myself!!!!! so.. thats done :wave:

I agree, you're nearly there Dutch - the only heroic quality you lack is modesty! :p

Tsuyoiko said:
I agree, you're nearly there Dutch - the only heroic quality you lack is modesty! :p
:(

i am not a hero..... :souka: grrrrr dont ask for my help, when your kitten is in the three :box: :relief:

i dont know who is a hero? but maybe bruce lee hes someone i admire to be.

Yes, I read a related article. It said, contrary to suspicions of a drug overdose, a recent study proposed that it was a certain drug hypersentivity that caused a heart attack in Mr. Lee ? Something of that nature. The damaging rumours might have been dispelled, but it's only a theory, one that could prove true.

I've heard that story too. But even if someone had really negative things in their life (like a drug overdose) doesn't mean they can't be a hero, IMO. Wasn't Martin Luther King unfaithful to his wife, for example? Doesn't make him any less the hero.

A hero? O.K. I'm thinking, perhaps there could be a lot.

What makes a hero in my opinion? I'm still thinking, and I may have to do that over lunch now, and even on into the evening, maybe. My dear friends, please do forgive me if you have to end up sending me New Year's cards with a 'ps' at the bottom, ...'BTW, what did you ever think up on that hero thing?"

I shall return! (and I owe some other people some things too: the thread on religion in Japan in the 40's; the thread on Buddhism, to Buntaro; checking up on the catfish over in Suwa, Nagano, for MikeCash; an invitation to work harder at communicationg, to Pararousia; and a few others...I haven't forgotten, I'm just super busy.)

BUT in all honesty and sincerity, more than the subject even, I just missed talking to my dear, sweet sister from Mars, Tsuyoiko. Hi ya sis !! But.......
I shall return !! I put it in my log book. See you 'round !!

What if I don't believe in heros? :?

Doc :wave:

Mars Man said:
BUT in all honesty and sincerity, more than the subject even, I just missed talking to my dear, sweet sister from Mars, Tsuyoiko. Hi ya sis !! But.......
I shall return !! I put it in my log book. See you 'round !!
Mars, you are such a sweetheart! For you: :flower: :rose: :thankyou:

I made it; and just in time, it seems. . .it was a the bottom of the barrel.

I still don't have a really clear-cut opinion of what a hero or heroine may be, but would tend to say that one that in a positive and productive way puts the good of the whole above that of just his or her own, may just be worthy of being called such. Perhaps it may not be something of a such a large scale, but, that's just my opinion.

I guess I don't generally think in terms like these, or maybe see us all a equals in such a big way. . .I just don't really know. (Maybe I haven't thought about it so seriously...?) People who work hard in groups like Doctors without Borders, or Amnesty International, would be like heros and heroines, in my book. (Again, I didn't make it so concrete, did I. . . oh me oh my. . .) I like what Gandi stood for, maybe he could be my hero, although
it may have had a political twist to it a little bit. :relief: :p :souka: :)

For me hero means someone who is there for you in your darkest moments, someone you can always rely on, someone who will help you to get throught the days. That person has to be good inside, doesn't matter if he/she looks good or not. The heart is important, the emotions the person carries in it. It doesn't mather if that person is a woman or a man.
Everyone can be a hero for someone. You just have to be nice and help people who need your help.

This thread has been viewed 42700 times.

Back