Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a hero?

DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered

@Winter - I think I understand what you mean, but I am all for giving credit where it is due, so why not call someone a hero if they make a positive contribution? I don't think your analogy works, as you are looking there at one deperate act of self-preservation, and surely we would only consider someone a hero if they act for others.

@Lexico - I agree that heroes don't have to be superhuman - IMO it is their human limitations that make their acts so heroic. If a man who can barely swim saves a boy from drowning, don't we consider him all the more heroic than if he were an olympic swimmer?

Gag me with a spoon Achievements:
    1 year registered

If one act of heroism is enough to identify one as a hero, than one act of unlawfulness is enough to identify one as a criminal by your standards, Tsuyoiko, and I dont buy that. Of course, I am known for misunderstanding people, which might be the case here.

Furthormore, your statement regarding anyone making a positive contribution can be recognized as a hero, this is obviously majorly subjective. Take A. Hitler. He made a 'positive' contribution to those who were brainwashed to believe the aryan destiny. Take your logic into that distorted reality, and viola; a hero he was.

Regardless, I dont buy that whole hero stuff. Then again, in the end I dont particularily care that much, so I guess you could define me as an android, or some other apathetic synthetic creation; which I'm not.

1 year registered

I agree, Winter, one act of heroism won't make history consider you a hero, but you might be a hero for the moment. It's about motives. You're a hero if you act unselfishly to help someone in need, just like you're not a criminal if you act out of desperation - the motivation in both cases is positive, so we see both favourably.

FIGHTING FOR JPOP Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    dutch

pff i reallly have to tell you guys again ne:

I AM A HERO

I am goodlooking, i save people there lives, i give inspiration to many, and i dont care about myself!!!!! so.. thats done

1 year registered

I agree, you're nearly there Dutch - the only heroic quality you lack is modesty!

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    I agree, you're nearly there Dutch - the only heroic quality you lack is modesty!

i am not a hero..... grrrrr dont ask for my help, when your kitten is in the three

The sheriff Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    japanese and korean and american

i dont know who is a hero? but maybe bruce lee hes someone i admire to be.

1 year registered

Ethnic group
    dutch

Quote Originally Posted by jack2
    i dont know who is a hero? but maybe bruce lee hes someone i admire to be.
    Bit off topic, but i read last week, that the real reason of his death was of taking the wrong medicine.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051015/...ruce_lee_death

Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian

Yes, I read a related article. It said, contrary to suspicions of a drug overdose, a recent study proposed that it was a certain drug hypersentivity that caused a heart attack in Mr. Lee ? Something of that nature. The damaging rumours might have been dispelled, but it's only a theory, one that could prove true.

1 year registered

I've heard that story too. But even if someone had really negative things in their life (like a drug overdose) doesn't mean they can't be a hero, IMO. Wasn't Martin Luther King unfaithful to his wife, for example? Doesn't make him any less the hero.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

A hero? O.K. I'm thinking, perhaps there could be a lot.

What makes a hero in my opinion? I'm still thinking, and I may have to do that over lunch now, and even on into the evening, maybe. My dear friends, please do forgive me if you have to end up sending me New Year's cards with a 'ps' at the bottom, ...'BTW, what did you ever think up on that hero thing?"

I shall return! (and I owe some other people some things too: the thread on religion in Japan in the 40's; the thread on Buddhism, to Buntaro; checking up on the catfish over in Suwa, Nagano, for MikeCash; an invitation to work harder at communicationg, to Pararousia; and a few others...I haven't forgotten, I'm just super busy.)

BUT in all honesty and sincerity, more than the subject even, I just missed talking to my dear, sweet sister from Mars, Tsuyoiko. Hi ya sis !! But.......
    I shall return !! I put it in my log book. See you 'round !!

Silent Assassin Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Chinese, Columbian, German, and Russian

What if I don't believe in heros?

Doc
    "Suppress all compassion and you bear a weapon far greater than any held in the hand of a normal human being." - The Psychology of the Assassin

1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Man
    BUT in all honesty and sincerity, more than the subject even, I just missed talking to my dear, sweet sister from Mars, Tsuyoiko. Hi ya sis !! But.......
    I shall return !! I put it in my log book. See you 'round !!
    Mars, you are such a sweetheart! For you:

1 year registered

I made it; and just in time, it seems. . .it was a the bottom of the barrel.

I still don't have a really clear-cut opinion of what a hero or heroine may be, but would tend to say that one that in a positive and productive way puts the good of the whole above that of just his or her own, may just be worthy of being called such. Perhaps it may not be something of a such a large scale, but, that's just my opinion.

I guess I don't generally think in terms like these, or maybe see us all a equals in such a big way. . .I just don't really know. (Maybe I haven't thought about it so seriously...?) People who work hard in groups like Doctors without Borders, or Amnesty International, would be like heros and heroines, in my book. (Again, I didn't make it so concrete, did I. . . oh me oh my. . .) I like what Gandi stood for, maybe he could be my hero, although
    it may have had a political twist to it a little bit.

Set me free Achievements:
    1 year registered

For me hero means someone who is there for you in your darkest moments, someone you can always rely on, someone who will help you to get throught the days. That person has to be good inside, doesn't matter if he/she looks good or not. The heart is important, the emotions the person carries in it. It doesn't mather if that person is a woman or a man.
    Everyone can be a hero for someone. You just have to be nice and help people who need your help.

1 year registered

sorry double post

Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered

I have read one statement on this theme:
    When to the person speak - "Be the Hero!" - "someone" want deceiving a him"...
    There are people which have "presence of mind" more strongly that their fears,aspirations and other "from a set of human weaknesses" and their acts cause feeling of admiration this "presence of mind"...()
    But all the talk switching to reasoning about "heroes" - "from Crafty"...
    Especially "blind" imitation...
    Only the God knows - "who is who"..."and who is of this and what for"... "and day for" ...

dead loss. yup, thats me! Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Irish

purposefully doing a selfless act to save lives/ to protect somebody. and many many exceptions.
    I am no hero.

This would then be my favorite ablum ever.

Exiled Warrior Achievements:
    1 year registered

A hero is who someone would die for.
    A hero is someone who sacrifices other peoples lifes other then his own.

The sheriff Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    japanese and korean and american

Quote Originally Posted by Ermac
    A hero is who someone would die for.
    A hero is someone who sacrifices other peoples lifes other then his own.

now theres a hero, some who doesn't others and holds his own life above others, i believe hitler was like that,, i think ermac has described the true anti-hero.

1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by jack2
    now theres a hero, some who doesn't others and holds his own life above others, i believe hitler was like that,, i think ermac has described the true anti-hero.
    Yuup! Ermac if you meant heroes form the movies or acient heroes, they mostly sacrifice their live to save others.

And Hitler was like that jack... He is the most mean person i have ever heard about! Truly a big anti-hero!!!

Exiled Warrior Achievements:
    1 year registered

Anti Hero....hmmm

Maybe its your state of mind which leads you too think like that, In my eyes a person who people lay down their lifes for would be a hero, its a twisted concept.

Enough talk about hitler, my comment was not intended to be anywhere near him and what hitler represents. If I wants to say hitler was a hero id say it.

Fat chance of that happening.

3 months registered

Only those who gave the life are reall heroes, but to give the life for a good reason.

Marquis Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Greeks

Well lets see

Hero is consider as a Greek word Ηρωας
    Ηρωας is connected with the name Ηρακλης Hercules

Some connect it with goddess Hera, and some with Arian Aryan AR->ΗΡ

Hero in Greek means the one that fights erectus, and not behind others, or hides
    Hero means the one that can achive the impossible,
    according legend yes Hero must pass the dillema of Αρετης και Κακκιας (Good and bad)

No the reasons are always doubt or in debate,
    As an example the one that for someone is Hero for some, may be Devil for other.
    Take the cases of a war, the Hero of 1 nation is the Devil for the other,
    A hero is person that will be connected with Myths, and a unification movement.
    But also A hero can be someone that pass 7 oceans to find his loving girl

If you watch Homer poetry it connects characters and lives with Heroism.
    Achilleas could be a old wealthy and BIG king but decided a short life and only 1 fight was enough to pass eternity (glory, war hero, Pride)
    Hectoras Well he is a hero, man of principals, traped 2 times. 1 from his brother, and 1 from Patroclos (the National Hero, the martyr)
    Patroklos hmmm not a fighter but a hero, his sentiments drive him to steal Achilleos arms and Defend retreating Myceneans. (sentimental, Heroism of the born looser, the unexpected Heroism)
    Paris hmmm as described in Ilias is not a hero (the eternity will-want to be someone, even by cheating, the fake Hero, the one who wants to be someone that he is not)
    Aias Ajax is the hero that is hero but people just ignore him, and thats makes him mad (non balance hero)
    Priamos another type of Hero, the old man, the old hero that dares to kneel to take his sons body.
    (the inner world Hero, the old man that still got principles)
    King Nestor the wise hero
    finally Odysseas, the every day hero, the smart hero, the eternal fighting hero, the don't give up Hero.
    Odysseas is the every day fight for survive Hero.

Choose your types and pick

the only one miss in Homer is a revolt Hero, a Spartacus.

Flagmaker of Haplogroups Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 11.0%

MtDNA haplogroup
    U2e1

Ethnic group
    Persian

A hero is someone who is loyal, someone who doesn't give up due to external pressures.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast