Atheism vs Theism

I've heard that God being omnipotent isn't found anywhere in the Bible and was probably something a theologian put forth.

Sin is to know that something will cause unnecessary harm to another or the self. But that requires a certain amount of self-awareness. From even a liberal Christian theology, that including objective science and evolution, people evolving and gaining self-awareness put together with neuro-science seems to suggest that people really had no choice but to sin.

It was confusing, and I then thought that I should do away with Christianity, as I felt truth simply had to be a lot simpler. I learned a lot of good stuff from Christianity (I suppose I could've learned the same elsewhere), but it really is too complicated to reason all of it out (at least for me it was).

Maciamo said:
So you still think (unconsciously at least) that atheists have no morals?
Say what!!! I didn't imply that at all!. I'm saying that some of the more militant atheists I've met really do have a lot of negative feelings towards especially the monotheists. Is it justified? I would say disagreements are justified, but the intensity of negativity isn't.

What I am saying is that all people, whether religious or atheistic need to be careful not to attach anger, or resentment towards the opposing side. Anger, resentment, etc can easily intensify into hate, if not constantly checked, and especially with people discussing ideas that they have strong feelings about. Religious people can get angry when atheists constantly question and slam their beliefs, while atheists can get angry at what they see as illogical, irrational, and as some see it, as hateful. I don't know if that says what I want clearly or not.

Last edited:
Maciamo said:
If religions can adapt to the requirements of modern society and "purge" the anachronistic elements, then I would feel a bit better disposed toward tolerating them. But then they should be renamed (at least symbolically), as they wouldn't be (already aren't) the same old religion that burnt people at the stake for a trivial disagreement, or claimed for centuries that the earth was made in 7 days and Adam and Eve were the only two original humans, created by god.
I'm not clear why you think this is so. Why can't a religion change with the times but still keep its name? Sorry to use a common definition, but if we consider Christianity as
a monotheistic system of beliefs and practices based on the Old Testament and the teachings of Jesus as embodied in the New Testament and emphasizing the role of Jesus as savior
it doesn't matter how much it changes over time if it still uses the NT and OT and sees Jesus as the saviour.

Mikawa Ossan said:
Here is something I used to think about quite a bit.

If Christianity were true, it would mean that an omnipotent and omniscient being created the world and surrounding universe.
Being omnipotent, he could have created mankind on any way he chose. He had complete control.
Being omniscient, he knew exactly what each conceivable kind of humanity would be like and how they would behave before they actually came into being. He knew/knows EVERYTHING by definition.

Therefore, he KNEW that the form of mankind that he created would take the forbidden fruit from the Garden of Eden before Adam even came into existance. If this is true, than the only conclusion I can come to is that God INTENDED for Adam and Eve to do so, because he could have just as easily created beings that he knew would never do such a thing.

What does that say about God? He punished humanity for what was in essence his(God`s) own fault. He told Adam and Eve not to do something even though he created them in such a way that they had no choice but to disobey him, and God knew it. THIS is one way how I define hypocrisy. I can not worship such a being.

Exactly, that is why I said it was unacceptable to reason and the god of the OT would contradict completely the one of the NT. Just the idea of god having human attributes yet being perfect is logically impossible. The idea of a god creating the universe (by definition "all that exist" or "reality") without creating himself, would logically mean that god isn't part of the universe/reality, and thus not exist or have no connection with the universe (basically the same thing). There are many more illogical things in the idea of god or Christianity. Hundreds of them. At best, a purge would have to get rid of over half of the Bible and keep the moral teachings with a lot of editing to avoid multi-sense metaphors and add clarity to the message. But then why not jus become hippy or Buddhist ?

Tsuyoiko said:
I'm not clear why you think this is so. Why can't a religion change with the times but still keep its name? Sorry to use a common definition, but if we consider Christianity as

it doesn't matter how much it changes over time if it still uses the NT and OT and sees Jesus as the saviour.

No, no, those particular changes would need to cut out big parts of the OT (all the genesis and apocalypse, for instance) and maybe also of the NT.

Revenant said:
I've heard that God being omnipotent isn't found anywhere in the Bible and was probably something a theologian put forth.

But haven't read the Bible ? It's quite obvious, at least from the Catholic version (i.e. probably the oldest in continuous use) I was made to read as a child. Now there are many versions of the book, some that may remove stuff that may cause problems to the believers. Then, don't forget that for Catholics (which represent over half of the world's Christians), if the Church says so, it is so. For Catholics, the Pope and the Church have as much to say in the dogma of believers as the Bible itself. That is what makes it even more unbelievable. Some of you here have argued that Christian could pick and choose what they wanted in the Bible, but this is not true for Catholics. There is only one truth for catholics, and contrarily to many Protestant types of Christianity, there is little space for personal interpretation. The Church interprets for the believers. Yet, this is not even as the true Catholicism of the Middle Ages of our ancestors (or even pre-Paul XXIII). It has already softened quite a bit.

The ignorance is high in this topic.

Doc

Pleas explain Doc, :relief:

Mega Biblion, Mega Kakon

Doc said:
The ignorance is high in this topic.

Doc
Could that be why there are agnosts ? Actually the gnostics claimed to have secret knowledge of God and the divine will; agnostics could either believe in the ultimate unknowability of divine will or simply denying that gnostics could possibly know what they claim to know.

In fact the humbled acceptance of ignorance can also be the beginning of science. As for historical atheists, they were usually called the gentiles, the pagans, or the heathens, which are very subjective labels depending on who is making the value judgement. Atheist was hardly a safe name to be called by.

As for the omni- characterisations of God, they are central theses of many parts of the bible. The Book of Job for example ends with exalting proclamation of the creating power of YHWH. Omnipotence would be a summary tag of that Job thesis. Yet it is true that many counterarguments to the Christian Church's claim to truth could have been avoided had the closedness of the bible and dogmas ceased at some point. With so many strong claims on God's porperties, it becomes almost too easy to find a logical or factual hole somewhere and choose to be atheist, but in fact the proposition would have meant to fail sooner or later.

Ma Cherie said:
Pleas explain Doc, :relief:

Simply put, there are a few people here, who are going too far in pushing their arguments, and not only is it starting to get intellectually insulting and offensive, but it's also starting to show the fallacies and ignorance in their posts.

lexico said:
Could that be why there are agnosts ? Actually the gnostics claimed to have secret knowledge of God and the divine will; agnostics could either believe in the ultimate unknowability of divine will or simply denying that gnostics could possibly know what they claim to know.

In fact the humbled acceptance of ignorance can also be the beginning of science. As for historical atheists, they were usually called the gentiles, the pagans, or the heathens, which are very subjective labels depending on who is making the value judgement. Atheist was hardly a safe name to be called by.

As for the omni- characterisations of God, they are central theses of many parts of the bible. The Book of Job for example ends with exalting proclamation of the creating power of YHWH. Omnipotence would be a summary tag of that Job thesis. Yet it is true that many counterarguments to the Christian Church's claim to truth could have been avoided had the closedness of the bible and dogmas ceased at some point. With so many strong claims on God's porperties, it becomes almost too easy to find a logical or factual hole somewhere and choose to be atheist, but in fact the proposition would have meant to fail sooner or later.

THANK YOU GOD!!! Why can't we have more level headed people such as yourself in these type of topics more often? I mean I will admit I can be just as bad as the next guy in a heated debate, but I usually calm down pretty quickly and take their criticisms into consideration. Why can't we have more cool headed thoughts like yours more often? :)

Doc :wave:

Doc said:
Simply put, there are a few people here, who are going too far in pushing their arguments, and not only is it starting to get intellectually insulting and offensive, but it's also starting to show the fallacies and ignorance in their posts.
What examples can you offer Doc?

Well to be honest I really don't want to point out too much because I would much rather keep those who are guilty nameless so it doesn't start a very heated (and possibly harmful) argument in this thread. I mean I find the points that you Tsuyoiko, Lexico, Kinsao, and a hand full of others make very intellectually stimulating as it keeps this thread interesting. However, there are a few people who keep their arguments strictly on one side of the extreme or the other such as "religion has all the answers", or "science has all the answers", and I must say that it is starting to wear thin on my patience. I mean I can understand where they're coming from and how they feel on the subject, but it's getting to be a little silly when they try to have all the ammo on their side to just shoot down any open minded post to defend the point that their end of the spectrum is better than the other. Even if it is not their intention, their posts still clearly show the ignorance, egotism, and brashness whether they realize it or not. I feel that I don?ft have to point any fingers because the ones who are guilty know what I?fm talking about, and I would suggest that they tone it down a notch before things start getting out of hand.

It is okay to believe in what you want to believe in, but to denounce another person?fs beliefs just because you don?ft agree with it is unacceptable as it shows ignorance, egotistical values, and the failure to willingly be open minded. That?fs all I?fm going to say on the subject as I feel further elaboration could provoke an unnecessary argument that should be best avoided in such a great and interesting thread. My sincerest apologies if I seem too vague for some of you, but as I said before I feel that the guilty persons involved know what I?fm talking about, and should just cool it while they?fre still ahead. You understand don?ft you Tsuyoiko?

Doc :wave:

~coughcough~
The title of the thread is actually "what is an atheist?", which is a different question from "is there a god(s)?" or "do you believe in god(s)?" I mean, people can argue about the existence or non-existence of god(s) until the cows come home without getting anywhere. Sometimes people just have to agree to differ! ^^

That's right. We're off topic. But it's still interesting.

Maciamo said:
You are so misled and prejudiced ! I only believe what I see because I know your reason has been spoiled by religion. How can you believe that atheists are "deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures" or "live in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another" ? This is one of the most outrageous accusation I have seen on this forum, and forcedly can only come from the twisted and hypocritical mind of a true Christian.

Strong atheism is a spiritual belief of its own right, and typically requires deep introspection (meditation) combined to strong rational skills and a lot of historical, scientific and philosophical knowledge.

Maciamo, I do believe you read what I wrote and thought I was referring to you or atheists in general. The pronouns I injected in the scripture quote in my post were personal pronouns referring to ME. Please go back and reread the post.

The second quoted sentence of yours above does indicate that atheism is a religion to you. You believe strongly that there is no God/god; you are basing your eternal existence or, lack thereof, on your belief that there is no God/god. While religious people usually believe in their various religions in order to reach their nirvana/heaven/paradise, the atheist "religion" believes in a non-God/god to reach their non-nirvana/heaven/paradise.

I have always contended that TRUE Christianity is not a religion, but a relation-based encounter with God. Most true religions have as a basis that the individual must achieve some kind of goodness, number of good deeds, high morals, etc, etc, inorder to reach their nirvana/heaven/paradise. True Christianity teaches that inspite of our sins, we can have heaven because of the sole act of Jesus the Christ. We believe His act (death, burial and resurrection from the dead) was propitiatory and totally sufficient to forgive our sins and provide us with redemption.

Perhaps you can understand these verses as examples of what I'm talking about: Psalm 14:1-3 & Psalm 53:1-3 "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God...;" there is no one who does good." Note how these two passages link non-belief to an assertion that no man does good. Could it be that the idea of God is dismissed because many believe that, if God and heaven are true, they are good enough to be admitted into heaven on their own merit?

Genesis 18:32; Then Abraham said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten righteous men can be found there?" God answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy Sodom." If God couldn't find 10 righteous men in all of Sodom, what are the chances that He would find you as righteous? If your every thought could be made audible for all to hear, would those who heard your thoughts still consider you to be a good and righteous person?

Ezekiel 28: "In the pride of your heart, you say, "I am a god..." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god. You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you. Your heart became proud on account of your beauty, and you corrupted your wisdom because of your splendor. So I threw you to the earth; I made a spectacle of you before kings...All who knew you are appalled at you; you have come to a horrible end and will be no more."

Do you remember your morality as a child? How black and white everything was and how idealistic you were in your standards? At what point did you begin breaking your own standard? At what point did you begin lowering the standard? Why?

Luke 2:34-40: "This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed."
Mark 8:29: "Who do you say I am?"

Our answer to this question says more about us than it does about Jesus. Jesus is presented to us as a perfect sinless and holy standard. If we judge Him to be only a man, we are in effect saying that, we, as men, are capable of reaching that standard. If we find fault with Jesus, how much more at fault are we? By judging Jesus to be one with God, as God, we admit that we are incapable of reaching the high standard; we are asking God to grade us on a curve, because we know that we have no hope of passing the test on our own merit.

John 16:27, "For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God."
John 3:3, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again."

By dying, He taught us the meaning of self-sacrifice; He taught us how to die to ourselves. In rising, He allowed us to be born again, so that we could live for others and overcome our selfish nature.

How does a person know that the color red is real? Because they see it. How does a person know that God is real?
Romans 10:17: "Faith comes from hearing the Word of Christ."
John 18:37: "Everyone that is of the truth, heareth my voice."
Mark 7:16 "If any man has ears to hear, let him hear."
1Corinthians 2:14 "The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

An intelligent person can comprehend and disassemble meaning in the written word. But the message of salvation is written in the Living Word, which can't be torn down by the logic of men.

Thanks again for this opportunity :)

Maciamo:
This is because you didn't see what she wrote in my reputation comment to nag me just before posting the offending post. What's more I think that my post was much less offensive that what she posted. I only used her own words against her (and yet, only things she admitting being before her convertion).

Wow--!! I just read further back in today's post and found the above accusation from Maciamo. Everyone, before you believe I said something malicious to Maciamo, let me tell you exactly what I said while giving him a GOOD reputation mark--I said "I pray for you to know "the mystery of God and the hidden treasures of Christ." If this is offensive to him, then he may tell me that he prays that I find the treasures of atheism! *L* I am shocked he would concoct such a thing to say about me! And, yes, I do pray for him and for all of you. If this is a malicious thing to do, then I stand as charged.

Doc said:
However, there are a few people who keep their arguments strictly on one side of the extreme or the other such as "religion has all the answers", or "science has all the answers", and I must say that it is starting to wear thin on my patience.

I competely understand you. I has also worn on my patience a bit. I have never understood how people could say that sciences can explain such things as morals, metaphysics or spirituality. These all belong to philosophy, which is the study of all human knowledge and beliefs, including religions, as well as the limits of human knowledge (no, we cannot "know god", just "believe in god").

It is okay to believe in what you want to believe in, but to denounce another person?fs beliefs just because you don?ft agree with it is unacceptable as it shows ignorance, egotistical values, and the failure to willingly be open minded.

Here I disagree. It's the same for everything : politics, economics, sciences, sport rules, games, whatever. If someone can prove that one system is more effective, more logical or less harmful than another, then it is a good thing to denounce the other system by explaining why one thinks so. It is the basic principle of progress, and nothing iritates me more than people who reject 'progress'.

Kinsao said:
~coughcough~
The title of the thread is actually "what is an atheist?", which is a different question from "is there a god(s)?" or "do you believe in god(s)?" I mean, people can argue about the existence or non-existence of god(s) until the cows come home without getting anywhere. Sometimes people just have to agree to differ! ^^

Off-topics don't matter on forums like this one, as diverting discussions can be split into a new thread or merge with another any time. This is what I intend to do here soon. If you wanted to stay perfectly on topic, then we had to stop all discussions after giving a satistying definition of atheism.

Pararousia said:
I have always contended that TRUE Christianity is not a religion, but a relation-based encounter with God.
When I hear Christians talk about their relationship to God, they speak of God as a feeling, or speaking to their hearts, or speaking to them through the Bible. What then does God say? Personally, I don't see the effects being any different from that of a Buddhist.
Pararousia said:
]Could it be that the idea of God is dismissed because many believe that, if God and heaven are true, they are good enough to be admitted into heaven on their own merit?
I think repentance is the fulfillment of compassion, and those that truely do what they can to empathize, will naturally be repentant for the deeds they did that went against the compassion.
Pararousia said:
If your every thought could be made audible for all to hear, would those who heard your thoughts still consider you to be a good and righteous person?
I think some people do truely search for the truth, and they would be found to have great intentions, as well as the true desire to help people (translated into action).
Pararousia said:
Do you remember your morality as a child? How black and white everything was and how idealistic you were in your standards? At what point did you begin breaking your own standard? At what point did you begin lowering the standard? Why?
In some ways, I thought that these black and white standards that I once had caused me to be judgemental, and to look negatively at people who weren't meeting these standards. But actually, one does not change another effectively by being judgemental and critical, but by empathizing with them, and then suggesting a way that might work better. (I know I don't have all the answers, and I would absolutely argue that virtue ethics is far better than rigid morality)
Pararousia said:
By dying, He taught us the meaning of self-sacrifice; He taught us how to die to ourselves. In rising, He allowed us to be born again, so that we could live for others and overcome our selfish nature.
But how does one die to ourselves? Is that not just the loss of ego, so that one may not become enflamed when one's beliefs are challenged, or when something one holds as important doesn't get in the way of true empathy? A lot of the other major religions teach the same, that a loss of ego is necessary to truely empathize and promote someone's true happiness.

Pararousia said:
Maciamo, I do believe you read what I wrote and thought I was referring to you or atheists in general. The pronouns I injected in the scripture quote in my post were personal pronouns referring to ME. Please go back and reread the post.

Alright, I didn't know that you were quoting from the scriptures because you didn't mention it. Therefore, I took the "we (I) too" as referring to you and other Christians, as opposed to atheists. This added with your almost simultaneous reputation comment that you 'prayed for my conversion' only made me feel like you we pointing the finger at the atheists. Maybe you aim was to be vague so as to escape criticism.

The second quoted sentence of yours above does indicate that atheism is a religion to you. You believe strongly that there is no God/god; you are basing your eternal existence or, lack thereof, on your belief that there is no God/god. While religious people usually believe in their various religions in order to reach their nirvana/heaven/paradise, the atheist "religion" believes in a non-God/god to reach their non-nirvana/heaven/paradise.

First of all, if you had cared to read the posts in this thread (and other recent threads on atheism, such as Is there such a thing as "atheist religion" ?), you would seen that I make a clear distinction between 'religions', which are organised, have rituals and places of worship, and "personal beliefs" which lack them. I consider some forms of Buddhism as an "atheist religion" because they do not believe in god(s) but are organised, with temples, monks, rituals, etc. In my case, I do not belong to any such organisation, and therefore have no religion, however strong are my convictions.

In fact, strength of conviction have little to do with religiousness. Most of those who call themselvs Shintoists and Buddhists do not have very strong beliefs (look at the Japanese).

In my case, I could say that my conviction that no "omnipotentsupreme being" or "creator" exist is not even really a personal belief, but a logical conclusion. I do not believe that 1+1 do not equal 3, it is a logical conclusion. I do believe in other things so (e.g. my moral principles are subjective, and I admit it, as no moral can really be objective or universal). So my "personal beliefs" are probably very close to the fundamental teachings of Buddhism, and may even share quite a bit with the values taugt by Jesus. I do not deny that there are good moral elements in the NT. What I cannot logically accept is the Christian concept of god. If
I had to define a god for me, it would be Nature (all the universe = god and we are part of it). This is called pantheism and agrees 'almost' perfectly with atheism (just a matter of definition). So, if you want to call me pantheist instead of atheist, or Buddhist-inspired pantheist, go ahead. That may be easier to understand and accept for monotheist people.

I have always contended that TRUE Christianity is not a religion, but a relation-based encounter with God. Most true religions have as a basis that the individual must achieve some kind of goodness, number of good deeds, high morals, etc, etc, inorder to reach their nirvana/heaven/paradise.

Because I believe that life is only a biochemical process, that we have no soul (we are only matter and energy) and that the universe is eternal, I do not need to believe in heaven. For many people the existence of the soul is a matter of belief, but because of the recent progress in neurosciences, I can rationally judge that there is nothing that matches the definition of 'soul' that cannot be explained by sciences (yes, even why true twins feel each feel "I am I, and not you" and all the conscience issue). There are many books on the subject, so I will not write another one about it on this forum. Anyway, people with little scientific knowledge will not be able to understand even if I explain.

True Christianity teaches that inspite of our sins, we can have heaven because of the sole act of Jesus the Christ. We believe His act (death, burial and resurrection from the dead) was propitiatory and totally sufficient to forgive our sins and provide us with redemption.

That must be convenient for people with a lot of sins on their conscience.

Perhaps you can understand these verses as examples of what I'm talking about: Psalm 14:1-3 & Psalm 53:1-3 "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God...;" there is no one who does good." Note how these two passages link non-belief to an assertion that no man does good. Could it be that the idea of God is dismissed because many believe that, if God and heaven are true, they are good enough to be admitted into heaven on their own merit?

Again, it seems that this religion was created for "bad people". What is more, it seems that the "there is no one who does good" is an idea that was popular in ancient times, as Lexico explained. But our world is different. There are millions of people who do good without thinking of a material reward, even among non-Christians like the Japanese. This is because making people happy can be as much as reward in itself (or more) than a material one. However, this is something psychology (which is a branch of philosophy) teaches. Religions don't explain these things. At best they mention them or profess them, but people still need to believe rather than understand. For rational people, faith only is more difficult to trust than understanding, even if the result in behaviour is the same. That's why I say that the so-called Christian values of compassion, benevolence, altruism, etc. are not in fact Christian, but universal characteristics shared by human beings of a certain personality. That is why, if one does not have this personality type, even becoming Christian will not change them much (or only in the short-term, or when constantly encouraged to do so by the community, but not in other situations). There are so many Christian who are not compassionate or do not follow most of the tachings of Jesus, yet firmly believe that they are Christian. I am not sure that even 1% of all Christians can claim to behave in a way nearly as similar as Jesus want them to be. Many don't even try hard. But I know many Japanese who would be much closer to Jesus in behaviour, and don't know anything about Christianity. This is the dilemma of religions. They often create the opposite of what is intended (e.g. wars, violence...).

Ezekiel 28: "In the pride of your heart, you say, "I am a god..." But you are a man and not a god, though you think you are as wise as a god. You were the model of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.

This description of "a god" is very close to the polytheist concept of human-like god. The original meaning of god was probably more like the way the Japanese use it today "oh, this baseball player is so good. He is a god !". It just means "superhuman". Studying the history and evolution of religion, we see a clear transition from this, to a omniscient and omnipotent god, then to a loving god.

If you are asking me, I believe that nothing is simply black or white, but in an infinite shade of nuances in between. Since as far as I can remember, I have disliked the use of words like "always" and "never" and preferred "usually", "often", "sometimes", "rarely", "hardly ever", and tried not to say "all" but "most", when it was clearly not "all". Precision is important, especially when generalising. I do not call that lowering my standards, except if simplemindeness is a quality for you. Btw, I have always (this time it is the right word) been more idealistic than the vast majority of people in society. I am also very humanistic.

Our answer to this question says more about us than it does about Jesus. Jesus is presented to us as a perfect sinless and holy standard.

Yes, me too, by my standards. :D Yet, by my standards, Jesus is not pure or sinless as he created a religion that caused wars and violence ever since its creation. He also lack rationality and failed in explaining his ideas of goodness in unambivalent terms that the whole word could understand, through the ages and cultures. If that was divinely inspired and "perfect like god", then Christian standards are much lower than my own. All this to say that Jesus is no match compared to someone like me (don't see it as sth arrogant, it is a judgement based simply on my standards).

If we judge Him to be only a man, we are in effect saying that, we, as men, are capable of reaching that standard.

Yes, why not ?

If we find fault with Jesus, how much more at fault are we?

I can't talk for 6 billion people, but I am not much to reproach myself compared to him.

By judging Jesus to be one with God, as God, we admit that we are incapable of reaching the high standard; we are asking God to grade us on a curve, because we know that we have no hope of passing the test on our own merit.

This is basically for people who lack self-confidence and do not know themselves well.

John 16:27, "For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God."
John 3:3, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again."

What is love if you have never met that "god" and he cannot or doesn't want to use his power to help humans reach perfection ? The Judeo-Christian god is fundamentally vicious and sadistic because he had to power to create a perfectly happy world, and didn't, preferring to watch humans and animals struggle, species disappear, etc. Who knows how many other planets support life in the infinity of the universe. But are these life beings happier there ? Did god discriminate or experiment with each planet in a different way, or does he want to cause pain, sorrow, destruction and all sorts of other negative things because he enjoys it ?

But the physical body of Jesus was made a matter and energy. He ate material food, drank water, this food was rejected as excrements. His whole body cells were regenerated on a daily basis and it took 7 years for all the body's cells to be changed completely, like for other humans. The air he breathed, the calorific energy he released from his body, the matter that passes through him, and the decomposition of the corpse of Jesus or the blood he shed, all still exist in the nature. It is even very likely that this matter and energy was recycled, and with time, it passed through the body of other humans, or animals or plants. Some of it could even be inside you or me now or sometime in the future, from the food we eat and the air we breath. So Jesus died but he is still among us ! Like anybody else who died before on this Earth.

How does a person know that the color red is real? Because they see it.

Some people cannot see the colors red and green (daltonians), but see grey instead. Others are blind. Our senses aren't perfect anyway. Don't trust only your senses ! Of course, the people who wrote the Bible didn't know or care much about these things at the time.

Revenant said:
A lot of the other major religions teach the same, that a loss of ego is necessary to truely empathize and promote someone's true happiness.

Ego is necessary to improve oneself and seek perfection. People who have a naturally low ego or self-esteem make poor learners. I know that as a teacher. The path to greater knowledge is one that requires suffering and perserverance. To have the strength to learn more and more, even when it is not needed, just for knowledge itself, can only be supported by a strong ego. In philosophy, wgo even means "conscious thinking subject", as opposed to passive subjects. An absolute lack of ego only means death, as the person does not even think him/herself worthy of living. Thus, ego is the power of life, knowledge and perfection.

I hope you didn't mean "egoism", which is completely different. Egoism is a form of ethics that treat self-interest as the foundation or morals. Egoism, for example, preaches that compassion is good if it brings happiness or satisfaction to the individual by seeing other people happy.

This is also very different from egocentrism, which just means "self-centered", not caring about others. Or else egotism - an excessive or exaggerated sense of self-importance.

This thread has been viewed 26296 times.

Back