Best cities to visit in Europe

I really liked London, being able to understand the natives was a big plus. I also enjoyed Amsterdam it is a fun place to spend a couple of days. Rome was my favorite. Great place, noisy, congested and hot in the summer, but a wonderful place. After several days I got where my ability to speak Spanish had transformed into an ability to understand Italian. Truthfully I had less trouble understanding Italian than I did understanding some people in Scotland.
Naples was beautiful, but scared the feces out of me. In the first 5 minutes of getting off the train, I saw a fellow get his stomach sliced open right inside the station. Then a couple of hours later not far from our hotel my wife was nearly knocked down by a couple on a Vespa trying to steal her handbag, they missed her bag but got a Japanese ladies about 15 meters down the sidewalk.

I really liked Edinburgh!

Where is Swizz..?

Well same thing is been given to the post prior to this post and i still have the same question ,again the list carried all of the well know cities from Europe but again there are some very good Swiss cities were missing;Bern,Geneva,Zurich.although i don't belong to Switzerland but i had been to these cities and i really love these cities,so why excluded these cities?

Regards:Bebo Kobo(y)

Nice isn't very beautiful...:confused:...less than Toulouse or Nantes :cool-v:

Amsterdam must be in the top 5...:heart:

Nice isn't very beautiful...:confused:...less than Toulouse or Nantes :cool-v:

Amsterdam must be in the top 5...:heart:

Tastes do vary a lot between people. For me, there is no way that Toulouse is more beautiful than Nice. But I don't really like raw brick, and I love colourful façades...

Tastes do vary a lot between people. For me, there is no way that Toulouse is more beautiful than Nice. But I don't really like raw brick, and I love colourful façades...

You can also find Russian architecture (orthodox church, hotel, palace) from the Belle epoque in Nice

It all depends on what you are interested in, of course. I love ancient architecture, and among my favourite places in Europe are Heidelberg, Tarragona, Segovia, Edinburgh, Prague, Antwerp, Torino, London, Dresden, and many more, mostly because the cultural offer is wide and the city has a special feeling.

Why isnt Edinburgh on the list.
Edinburgh Castle, The National Museum of Scotland,The Royal Mile, The Scottish Parliament, Arthurs Seat, The Royal Yacht.
It would take a week to list all of Edinburghs attractions never mind visit them.

Amsterdam is great. I think also Athens it's not bad, but more for cultural reasons...it's not the same sensation like in Amsterdam walking in the streets.

re

Based on my experience of travelling and living around Europe, I would like to make a list the the best cities by category, rating them respectively 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A and 3B. Note that I have listed Nordic countries or Ireland, and have only been to Praha and Budapest in Eastern Europe. Basically, the numeral ranking is about the overall beauty/quality, while the letters refer to the length of stay to fully enjoy the city (A the longest, C the shortest).

1A : outstanding cities with enough sights for 1 to 2 weeks

London
Rome
Florence
Paris

1B : same as 1A, but with sights for less than 1 week (usually 2 or 3 days)

Salamaca
Seville
Venice
Nice
Oxford
Cambridge
Praha
Vienna
Istanbul

1C : same as 1B, but with sights for just one day

Cordoba
Caceres
Evora
Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela
Carcasonne
Monaco
Pisa
Lucca
San Gimignano
Siena
Lille
Luxembourg
Bruges
Maastricht
Bath
York

2A : very good destinations with sightseeing for several days, but less impressive overall than those ranked 1A.

Brussels
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisboa
Budapest
Athens

2B : Same as 2A, but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Granada
Merida
Milano
Marseille
Nimes
Avignon
Montpellier
Antwerp
Namur
Delft
Leiden
Brighton
Stratford-upon-Avon

3A : Less beautiful cities with enough exceptional attractions for several days

Berlin

3B : same as 3A but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Bristol
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Canterbury
Munich
Frankfurt
Regensburg
Bonn
Trier
Aachen
Ghent
Gouda
Den Haag

Hi!

It seems like you liked Spain!
Glad to learn that! :cool-v:

Regards

I have visited several european cities but for me Barcelona is number one ,very beautiful city

Barcelona is getting worst. Actually, going through La Rambla at night it's a shame due to prostitution and other things. Years ago was much better.

Hi
What do you think of St. Pitersburg and Kyiv please if you ever visited. Stambul's architecture isn't really european.
Thanks

Bucharest is a beautiful destination... Filled with culture and a mix of architecture. If you do go just make sure to be careful and not come off too touristy... There are areas that are less than savory.

I've been there, but wasn't impressed that much. Sorry to say this, but actually it was one of the ugliest cities I've ever seen. I rather prefer the towns of Transylvania, Sighisoara, Sibiu and Cluj Napoca to be precise, I loved it there!

I loved the decadent air in Bucharest, you can see it was once a vibrant and rich city. The little churches scattered all over town are fantastic. Taxi drivers seem slightly more honest than in Berlin, funny enough...

I disagree with Athens being 2A and Rome 1A, I find them very similar and Athens is in general more tourist friendly and has more to offer than Rome. For the rest 1A's I agree.

I loved the decadent air in Bucharest, you can see it was once a vibrant and rich city. The little churches scattered all over town are fantastic. Taxi drivers seem slightly more honest than in Berlin, funny enough...

Bucharest is considered the Paris of the East (whatever that means).I've never been to there though. My favourite European city is Prague. A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E.

This thread has been viewed 424932 times.

Back