1A PLACES TO SPEND 1 TO UP 2 WEEKS:
- Rome (2 weeks)
- Paris (2 weeks)
- Venice (2 weeks)
- Berlin (10 days)
- Munich (a week)

1B: PLACES TO SPEND SEVERAL DAYS UP TO 1 WEEK:
- Florence (3 days)
- Neaples and the Amalphitan coast (1 week )
- Athens (4 days)
- Cortina D'Ampezzo (5-6 days)
- Interlaken (CH) (5 days)
- Neuchatel (CH) (2 days)
- Luzern (2 days)
- Milan (5-6 days)

1C (PLACES TO SPEND 1 DAY):
-
Olympia
- Delphi
- San Marino
- Nürnberg
- Bern

OUT OF EUROPE
1A:
- Sydey (1 week-2 weeks)

1B:
-
Kuala Lumpur (4-5 days)
-Surfers Paradise (5 days)

I have only put in the list places that I have visited and the time I'd suggest to spend there.

My boss is as well keen of YouTube comical video clips, he also watch these even in place of work hehehe..

A city founded in year 1 and constantly inhabited is Istambul. Orient and Ocident clash right there. Ancient ruins, new ruins, man made disasters, god made disasters, beautifull buidings, ugly buildings, white people, black people, yellow pepole are all there. Its a small microcosmos. For people like me, who always check the finances, thats the city to visit. One sees the world in one shot. Fot people with limitlees money resources is good to see all the above mentioned cities.

My classifics, according to my personal experience/tastes is:

1A PLACES TO SPEND 1 TO UP 2 WEEKS:
- Rome (2 weeks)
- Paris (2 weeks)
- Venice (2 weeks)
- Berlin (10 days)
- Munich (a week)

1B: PLACES TO SPEND SEVERAL DAYS UP TO 1 WEEK:
- Florence (3 days)
- Neaples and the Amalphitan coast (1 week )
- Athens (4 days)
- Cortina D'Ampezzo (5-6 days)
- Interlaken (CH) (5 days)
- Neuchatel (CH) (2 days)
- Luzern (2 days)
- Milan (5-6 days)

1C (PLACES TO SPEND 1 DAY):
-
Olympia
- Delphi
- San Marino
- Nürnberg
- Bern

OUT OF EUROPE
1A:
- Sydey (1 week-2 weeks)

1B:
-
Kuala Lumpur (4-5 days)
-Surfers Paradise (5 days)

I have only put in the list places that I have visited and the time I'd suggest to spend there.

I am very surprised that you would need a week to see all the sights in Munich. After two days I didn't know what to do. Please don't count excursions from Munich to the rest of Bavaria. That would completely offset the ranking.

Likewise, Sydney can be seen in a two or three days. It doesn't deserve one or two weeks (unless you got lost walking around the suburbs ;) ).

On the other hand, 3 days in Florence is definitely not enough to see all the important sights. It deserves at least a full week, and in my opinion longer than Venice, because Venice has very few museums or places that can be visited inside.

Cortina D'Ampezzo is a ski resort, so there are no sight per se. Same for Surfer's Paradise (I hated that place, btw).

If you're in Hungary you should definitely visit the city of Győr (NW-Hungary) for a one day trip. It has some beautiful baroque buildings and a marvelous atmosphere. Also the Archabbey of Panonhalma is only a half an hour drive from Győr. It's part of the UNESCO World Heritage!

I think I like to live in London for the amazing party life in there. The scenery is also good with all the majestic pieces all over.

If you're in Hungary you should definitely visit the city of Győr (NW-Hungary) for a one day trip. It has some beautiful baroque buildings and a marvelous atmosphere. Also the Archabbey of Panonhalma is only a half an hour drive from Győr. It's part of the UNESCO World Heritage!

Budapest has better architecture and more hospitable people than Prague or Vienna.:)

London and Paris are my favorites.

Yes, I have been to Istanbul. I have now added it to the list. I hesitated between 1A, 1B and 2A. I saw almost everything in my guidebook in about 5 days, so I opted for 1B.

5 Days would not be enough to see all in Istanbul. I have been there many times yet many places i have not seen.

Ofc, depends on what you want to see...

Based on my experience of travelling and living around Europe, I would like to make a list the the best cities by category, rating them respectively 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A and 3B. Note that I have listed Nordic countries or Ireland, and have only been to Praha and Budapest in Eastern Europe. Basically, the numeral ranking is about the overall beauty/quality, while the letters refer to the length of stay to fully enjoy the city (A the longest, C the shortest).

1A : outstanding cities with enough sights for 1 to 2 weeks

London
Rome
Florence
Paris

1B : same as 1A, but with sights for less than 1 week (usually 2 or 3 days)

Salamaca
Seville
Venice
Nice
Oxford
Cambridge
Praha
Vienna
Istanbul

1C : same as 1B, but with sights for just one day

Cordoba
Caceres
Evora
Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela
Carcasonne
Monaco
Pisa
Lucca
San Gimignano
Siena
Lille
Luxembourg
Bruges
Maastricht
Bath
York

2A : very good destinations with sightseeing for several days, but less impressive overall than those ranked 1A.

Brussels
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Barcelona
Madrid
Lisboa
Budapest
Athens

2B : Same as 2A, but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Granada
Merida
Milano
Marseille
Nimes
Avignon
Montpellier
Antwerp
Namur
Delft
Leiden
Brighton
Stratford-upon-Avon

3A : Less beautiful cities with enough exceptional attractions for several days

Berlin

3B : same as 3A but with sights that can be covered in 1 day

Bristol
Portsmouth
Salisbury
Canterbury
Munich
Frankfurt
Regensburg
Bonn
Trier
Aachen
Ghent
Gouda
Den Haag

Congrats, Maciamo. One of the best selection I have ever found. Very accurated too.

I don't think I can wait until 2018, Maleth. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but there's a wonderful book of historical fiction called The Disorderly Knights by Dorothy Dunnett which is set on Malta in 1551. Malta has captured my imagination ever since then.

It's the next thing on my bucket list.

I don't think I can wait until 2018, Maleth. :) I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but there's a wonderful book of historical fiction called The Disorderly Knights by Dorothy Dunnett which is set on Malta in 1551. Malta has captured my imagination ever since then.

It's the next thing on my bucket list.

It would be good to meet up if you ever visit, and in a short distance around there are other great historical things to visit too that you will find very interesting :) The Valletta harbour was also the scene of a great battle (prior to the Turkish 4 month siege) in connection with the Sicilian Vespers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malta

I wasn't aware of the book. Had a look on amazon and it looks like a good read. Thank you for bringing the book to my attention

It would be good to meet up if you ever visit, and in a short distance around there are other great historical things to visit too that you will find very interesting :) The Valletta harbour was also the scene of a great battle (prior to the Turkish 4 month siege) in connection with the Sicilian Vespers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Malta

I wasn't aware of the book. Had a look on amazon and it looks like a good read. Thank you for bringing the book to my attention

It sounds like a plan!

It sounds like a plan!

thumbs up.jpg

Maciamo! It is the huge list that you shared. I know these all are stunning and alluring cities of the United Kingdom. I am a tourist but I did not visit them all. My most favorite cities are Venice and London and I have been there several times. I love the attractions of London and the atmosphere of the Venice. In the last week of this month I am going to visit the New York. I am very excited for this.

I drove from Rome to Paris over a week staying in multiple cities... I'd recommend that to anyone

This thread has been viewed 424934 times.

Back