What is the greatest empire ever existed?

What is the greatest empire that ever existed?

• Ancient Rome

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Alexander the Great's Empire

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Ottoman Empire

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Safavid Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Genghis Khan empire

• Mughal Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Han China (202 BC to 220AD)

• Ming & Qing China (1368 to 1911)

• Aztec Empire

• Inca Empire

• Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Spanish Empire of 16th to 19th century

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Napoleon's empire

• British empire of 17th to 20th century

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The Third Reich/Nazi Germany

• Imperialist Japan (1940's)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other empire

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
the inca empire... all the incas did was for the well-being of their people, not just for greedy like other empires.

I was indecided among the Ancient Roma and China, they gave a lot of things to the world...But then I voted for Roma, since I'm from there....

it was their culture, their religion, they didn't do it as an act of war or punishment... unlike the romans with crucifictions for example. read more about the incas.

There was an Arab Empire, and it was unified under a single government from 632 to 750, when it was first ruled by the Rashidun Caliphate, followed by the Umayyad Caliphate. It was only from 750 that
the Arab Empire split between the Umayyad and Abbasid dynasties, both of which lasted for several centuries more.

The Arab Empire should be included on the list for two main reasons:

1. It was the largest empire the world had yet seen (13.2 million square km at its peak), and its size was not surpassed until the Mongol Empire centuries later.
2. It had numerous achievements in the arts, sciences literature, philosophy, engineering, technology, etc. that could quite easily rival the achievements of the other empires on the list.

I agree that arab empire must de included in this list most of all by arts, sciences, etc.

Let's get some numbers in! Top 20 empires in terms of size, rounded roughly to the nearest million square kilometers:

Mongol Empire 34,000,000
British Empire 34,000,000
Russian Empire 24,000,000
Spanish Empire 20,000,000
Qing Empire 15,000,000
Yuan Dynasty 14,000,000
Ummayad Caliphate 13,000,000
French Empire 13,000,000
Abbasid Caliphate 11,000,000
Portugese Empire 10,000,000
Rashidun Caliphate 9,000,000
Brazilian Empire 8,000,000
Achaeminid Empire 8,000,000
Japanese Empire 7,000,000
Han Empire 6,000,000
Ming Empire 6,000,000
Roman Empire 6,000,000
Nazi Germany 6,000,000
Turkic Khaganate 6,000,000

Some other notables:
Ottoman Empire 5,200,000
Mughal Empire 4,600,000
Safavid Empire 3,500,000
Byzantine Empire 3,500,000
Inca Empire 2,000,000
Holy Roman Empire 1,000,000
Aztec Empire 200,000

(I'm sure everybody realized that the Roman Empire is different than the Holy Roman Empire?)

Well, if we're counting the US as an empire now...

United States 10,000,000

Canadian empire is a bit bigger than US empire. :D

LeBrok

Please do cite your sources. Saying something without references doe not make it so!

Melusine

How about this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_outlying_territories_by_total_area

Melusine, we know from the past that your knowledge of geography is not the strongest. Why don't you check your sources before opening your mouth? Maybe even twice and different ones.

Besides, it was a jock, as we all know Canada is not an empire.
Or is it? I guess for this one you have to check your sources again.

Peace out.

Asking for references or sources is not going after someone.

If one re-reads LeBrok' s last post relating to me specifically, he said some very insulting things aimed at me. I've never used that kind of disrespectful vocabulary against anyone on this forum.

BTW LEBROK: You really did make a "Freudian slip: when you wrote JOCK instead of JOKE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip

It's obvious that this forum is dominated by MEN, and when a female (like myself) has something to say that makes sense, some MEN can't handle it and try to "diminish " that female by their words as LeBrok has done toward me.

MELUSINE

Asking for references or sources is not going after someone.

If one re-reads LeBrok' s last post relating to me specifically, he said some very insulting things aimed at me. I've never used that kind of disrespectful vocabulary against anyone on this forum.

BTW LEBROK: You really did make a "Freudian slip: when you wrote JOCK instead of JOKE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip

It's obvious that this forum is dominated by MEN, and when a female (like myself) has something to say that makes sense, some MEN can't handle it and try to "diminish " that female by their words as LeBrok has done toward me.

MELUSINE

Sorry, asking for a source that Canada is larger than the US is silly.

You're right, though, that the gender dichotomy here is curious. Probably a topic for "Site Feedback" rather than "History & Civilisations," though.

As I understand this THREAD, it is : What is the Greatest Empire.

I know that CANADA has a greater LAND MASS than the USA, but that is not what I was questioning IN "Le Brok's JOCK/JOKE that Canada Empire is a bit bigger than US Empire. I was seeing it as a post pertaining to the "Greatest Empire" . Mixing his idea of a JOCK/JOKE with the thread was NOT FUNNY.

I never asked for a source that Canada is LARGER than the US. And I'm not SILLY.

Et Tu Brutus?

Perhaps everyone should re-read the dialog.
Melusine

LeBrok's comment about Canada was so obviously a joke, I'm lost as to why it needed a rebuke in the first place.

I think it was more Melusine's tone in her (unecessary) demand that is the problem, not because it came from a female. This forum is dominated by men simply because there are a greater number of male than female members posting. Being female, I've found that female posters are treated no differently than male, a silly comment will be deal with in the same way. To infer something else, rather than admitting a mistake is just, well plain silly.

OK Antigone,

IT WAS A JOKE. I get it!!!

Sore head on my part, however that does not excuse Le Broks later reply insulting me. What say you Antigone? Or what he had to say doe not count?

OK Antigone,

IT WAS A JOKE. I get it!!!

Sore head on my part, however that does not excuse Le Broks later reply insulting me. What say you Antigone? Or what he had to say doe not count?

I thought the reply was in keeping with the tone of your post Melusine. You were abrupt and you received an abrupt reply, it can only be expected.

English is not LeBrok's first language, to ridicule his spelling mistake was fairly low. Perhaps you need to apologise also?

i think you're making a drama out of nothing, and ruining the thread... c'mon people, calm down.

This thread has been viewed 122385 times.

Back