What is the greatest empire ever existed?

What is the greatest empire that ever existed?

• Ancient Rome

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Alexander the Great's Empire

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Ottoman Empire

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Safavid Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Genghis Khan empire

• Mughal Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Han China (202 BC to 220AD)

• Ming & Qing China (1368 to 1911)

• Aztec Empire

• Inca Empire

• Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Spanish Empire of 16th to 19th century

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Napoleon's empire

• British empire of 17th to 20th century

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The Third Reich/Nazi Germany

• Imperialist Japan (1940's)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other empire

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
this forum is dominated by MEN

abigail_seymour_wedding_01.jpg

You can see my strong anti feminism here. This is part of my post from Libya thread:

"Here is a very uplifting program form BBC, the Doha Debates about Egypt.
http://www.thedohadebates.com/#
So many young educated smart people, especially women. I hope they will get upper hand as elite in Egypt."

Melusine, if you think we started on a wrong foot, we can try again. :) Maybe someone had a headache that day. I'm mister migraine.

The rest of posters made my day. I'm sitting with a big smile on my face knowing that I made few friends. :)

Great humor guys!
Elias, try finding picture of our submarines. I think the only functioning are from West Edmonton Mall, lol.

Thanks to US for protecting our Free Land of Canadian Empire from Japan Empire, Soviet Union Empire, and what's not.

We have sent all our forces to Afghanistan and Libya, leaving our country defenceless, so take it easy on us now. :) I hope Denmark won't attack us from Greenland at the moment, or we will be gone.

Last edited:
I think it is the greatest, both in extension and population than any other Empire in history.

Ha, thanks for that, it put a smile on my face for the day. It is very good!
And you are all correct of course, silly mountains out of molehills etc etc.

We now need a photo of hysterical women on the rampage, but don't have time to look for one right now.

The Spanish Empire. The Aragonese Empire was also great, dominating half the mediterranean.

Yes LeBrok,

I agree that we got started on a wrong foot. It was my "sore head (bad attitude)".

Melusine

The Spanish Empire. The Aragonese Empire was also great, dominating half the mediterranean.

Aragonese Empire 230,000

Not really on the same scale as, say, the Roman Empire. In size, the only one it beats that we have been talking about is the Aztec Empire.

arab empire should have been included in the poll

You're probably thinking of the Umayyad Caliphate, which was certainly impressive and gets #7 in my list of empires by area, beating the Roman Empire by quite a bit.

The Romans THE ROMANS! They really had it all: Fine arts, culture, war tactics, knowledge and science. Besides, they had such an interesting religion...

Most of the above were derived from the Greeks.:confused:

You're probably thinking of the Umayyad Caliphate, which was certainly impressive and gets #7 in my list of empires by area, beating the Roman Empire by quite a bit.

Mmm, an impressive amount of land but how much of that area was populated? As opposed to the area and population the Romans dominated and controlled?

El Imperio espa?ol.

Mmm, an impressive amount of land but how much of that area was populated? As opposed to the area and population the Romans dominated and controlled?

Quite a lot of the Umayyad Caliphate was populated, and a lot of them converted to the relatively new official religion, Islam. Although, they collected the jizyah on non-Muslims, so they didn't want too many conversions... Either way, the religious influence had a very profound impact on the Middle East. The Umayyads controlled the Levant, Arabia, North Africa, Persia, etc. Lots of populated places.

I'm not sure on what current estimates are for the peak population of the Umayyad Caliphate vs. the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire may have had more, although their populations would have been on the same scale.

Thanks sparkey, in that case they probably should have been included in the poll. But I don't suppose everyone could have been thought of or listed and there is a button to tick for any others left out.

The ROMAN EMPIRE. 1/4 of world people during the Roman Empire were Roman citizens, Rome had the greatest culture, literature, army, etc.etc of its epoque, ROME was THE Empire. And if you are not persuaded yet, this video may persuade you.

The way Rome looks now and how it looked during the Emperial Age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yUaLqsbuw

but sybilla, vallicanus is right... all these things are basically derived from the greeks.

on the other hand, the aztec and the inca civilization had their own culture, literature, SCIENCE (astronomy, maths, medicine..). aztecs were great mathematics... the greatest civilization on mathematics.

but sybilla, vallicanus is right... all these things are basically derived from the greeks.

on the other hand, the aztec and the inca civilization had their own culture, literature, SCIENCE (astronomy, maths, medicine..). aztecs were great mathematics... the greatest civilization on mathematics.

All true.

In the Roman Empire the rich got richer and the poor got poorer till many Roman citizens preferred rule by barbarians as at least they did not tax the people into the ground.

In the words of G.E.M.de Sainte Croix:
"If I were in search of a metaphor to describe the great and growing concentration of wealth in the hands of the (Roman) upper classes, I would not incline to anything so innocent and so automatic as drainage: I should want to think in terms of something much more purposive and deliberate-perhaps the vampire bat".

This thread has been viewed 122614 times.

Back