What is the greatest empire ever existed?

What is the greatest empire that ever existed?

• Ancient Rome

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • Alexander the Great's Empire

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Byzantine Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Ottoman Empire

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Safavid Empire

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Genghis Khan empire

• Mughal Empire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Han China (202 BC to 220AD)

• Ming & Qing China (1368 to 1911)

• Aztec Empire

• Inca Empire

• Holy Roman Empire

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Spanish Empire of 16th to 19th century

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Napoleon's empire

• British empire of 17th to 20th century

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • The Third Reich/Nazi Germany

• Imperialist Japan (1940's)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other empire

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
You forgot Empire of Trebizond!!

Greatest, I would think British, Roman and Han in that order.

although most of my knowledge about china comes from this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMmaBzfCCwZ2KqaBJjkj0fw/videos which I think is a must watch for history lovers.

I don't consider Mongol and Alexanders empires particularly great.

For Alexander, is it really an empire if it dies with it's founder ? ehh I guess technically but it's more of a conquered ground than anything.

Mongol Empire was never well managed or maintained it was also just a conquered ground which had to be broken apart into smaller kingdoms soon after.

By considering the known civilized world, the greatest empire was certainly the Persian empire.

xc2n_persianempire.jpg

Whoever drew that map would be stoned to death in Georgia for combining all our lands into Armenia :D

British Empire, of course. but Portuguese and Spanish empires were not so far from the British.

In matter of size, population, administration, durability, cultural tolerance and long-term effects, the British Empire was the greatest. The Roman Empire comes second. How comes the Chinese Empire (at least Han to Tang period, or Ming to Qing) is not in the list ?

I was thinking the same, so voted for the Roman Empire.

Someone made a good point. The Persian empire is not on the list. Definitely one of the greatest empires ever.

I would argue that the greates empire had nothing to do with extent, but the heritage it left behind for humanity. So I would narrow the list of the greatest empires to the Roman Empire, Alexanders empire, the Persian empire, the Brittish empire and the Chinese empires.

Egypt is not really an empire, rather a civilization. But if it comes to that the Greco-Roman civilization and the modern Western civilization are hard to beat.

This is a very independent and multifaceted question, but there are many factors here, and in order to understand this, it would be desirable to delve into each of their periods of time, the situation of the formation of these empires, the years of prosperity, the decline of the empire, etc. Naturally, it is difficult to give an equivalent answer here, since the question is almost too wide for discussion!

This thread has been viewed 122381 times.

Back