Do you consider Egypt as part of Middle East or Africa?

I think it's a blend of both African and Middle Eastern cultures, since it has prominent influences of both.

It is in Africa

Several years ago I was in Egypt. I liked the country. And there is great diving

But ancient Egypt had as much ties to what is now the Levant. Even the ancient Egyptian language is some sort of Afro-Asiatic link language between Berber and Semitic and to some lesser extend Cushitic.

Well, considering that Semitic is the only language family attested in West/Southwest Asia (I personally guess other related Afro-Asiatic branches existed before, but they were superseded by the huge Semitic expansion from the Early Bronze Age), and Berber, Cushitic, Egyptian, Chadic and Omotic are all African, wouldn't it then be much more accurate to say that Semitic-speaking lands have a link to North Africa, NOT the other way around? Natufians, who probably spread Afro-Asiatic in West Asia, had considerable North African-related admixture, so it's far more likely that Semitic lands were influenced from as early as the Upper Paleolithic by Egypt, Libya, North Sudan and other North African lands than the opposite scenario.

The definition of continent is cultural. In the times of the Roman Empire, Egypt was already called that, and Africa was called the current Tunisia. For me, from a geographical point of view, Egypt is mostly part of Africa (the Sinai peninsula is in Asia), but because of its history and even its genetics, Egypt is part of the Middle East. Of course through its history it had contacts with Sub-Saharan Africa ... but it also had contacts with Europe. So, for me it is different the geographical identification of Egypt, and the cultural and genetic identification.

I consider it as north african

Egypt its belong part a Africa ( Geography and in DNA it like countries North African )
Yes there linked with Near East but was have linked to with Nuba ( Sudan )

Egypt its belong part a Africa ( Geography and in DNA it like countries North African )
Yes there linked with Near East but was have linked to with Nuba ( Sudan )

Well it is on the Continent of Africa (which is 2 plates, the Nubian and the Somali, which are splitting apart, and some 10 million years from now will be 2 distinct continents). I think culturally and genetically going back 15 to 20K years based on genetic evidence, it is more related to West Asia.

geographically speaking:
north africa

genetically speaking:
they are by g25 values something like: 84% west euroasian and 16% african
so genetically they are more southwest asian than african autosomally

This thread has been viewed 102702 times.

Back