Favourite quotations

The World has gone Insane ... for real :)

- The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the Insane - :grin:

M. A.

Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarming. Everything we do after it will seem insufficient. Stay at home.

Unknown author

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. (Martin Luther)

Il riso fa buon sangue e bel viso.

Laughter makes you healthy (good blood) and beautiful.

Da quei tai che non ridon mai - stai lontan come dai guai.

Stay away from those who never laugh; they're trouble.

Stop! ... and pay extra attention to proposed legislations during emergencies:

“You Never Want a Serious Crisis to Go to Waste”

Rahm Emanuel

“The reason most people fail instead of succeed is they trade what they want most for what they want at the moment.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

When I was 17, my father was so stupid, .... when I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mark Twain

lol :LOL:

“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.”

― Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

The emotions of a sick **** described in glorious prose.

Doesn't blur any boundaries for me; I guess I'm made of stronger stuff. Never did, even before I had to see the consequences of their sick obsessions in their victims. I took great, great, pleasure in prosecuting them to the fullest extent of the law. In fact, imo, they should be locked away from normal society period; the highest recidivism of any criminal.

What the novel did make me do is wonder about Nabokov's own proclivities, which disinclined me to read any of his other work. Plenty of other wonderful writers with whom to occupy my time.

On a much lower level of distaste is my reaction to novels like Anna Karenina. It's another brilliantly written novel, this time in the service of trying to make you understand and forgive the terrible decisions of a shallow, vapid, vain woman with absolutely no self control who chooses a worthless man with whom she's become obsessed over her children. You have to know the society in which you live, and you don't go risking your access to your growing, innocent children over an equally shallow, vapid, and vain man with nothing to recommend him but his looks and charm who will doubtless leave you in the lurch, as he did.

I could go on with books I read but whose characters I found distasteful that I read them only once, but I won't. :)

A few Latin quotes:

• Et nunc, reges, intelligite, erudimini, qui judicatis terram ! (And now, kings, understand, learn, you who judge the world!), said by Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet, a famous 17th-century French orator during the eulogy of Queen Henrietta Maria of England.
  • Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas (Fortunate, who was able to know the causes of things), by the Latin poet Virgil
  • Major e longinquo reverentia (greater reverence from afar), by the Roman historian and politician Tacitus (Annales 1.47)
  • Sic transit gloria mundi (Thus passes the glory of the world)

[FONT=&quot]''The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil." Thomas Edison[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
"We become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams." Jimmy Carter

"Now I look beyond what I can't do and focus on what I CAN. "Robert M. Hense

"Happy is the man who can make a living by his hobby."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] George Bernard Shaw[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Nietzsche

"No tree, it said, can grow to heaven unless its roots reach down the hell" - Jung

To love from the heart is to have forgiven in advance everything you love. Source here

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 151611 times.

Back