Some photoes about Pyongyang-The capital of North Korea

4321go

Happy
Reaction score
Ethnic group
China
Most of these photoes were taken by a Chinese in May 2005.

168091.jpg

morning of Pyongyang
203309.jpg

woman police
203308.jpg

children
203305.jpg

cenotaph
203302.jpg

overlook from a hotel
198508.jpg

army
168090.jpg

newlywed
198506.jpg

cenotaph
146508.jpg

triumphal arch ,which taller than French's. :blush:
146507.jpg

In the evening
146506.jpg

bronze , how big it is !
146310.jpg

subway of Pyongyang
42568.jpg

morning!
33506.jpg

women

Last edited:
so much resemblance between this statue in Pyongyang :
146506.jpg

and

This statue in Sapporo,Hokkaido:
clark.jpg

The Pyongyang hotel is terrible horrible and disgusting...and instead of boosting the image of Korea ...it has done the opposite.

Where are all the people? If you look in the photos, it seems like everyone is off the streets for a little afternoon nap....

I was surprised to see the Mercedes Benz in the second picture. Could it have been the Dear Leader himself?

^^

Go to eastern europe....Latvia for example.

One of the poorest countries in Europe....yet everyone drives a Mercedes.

All stolen.

Supposedly they only allow you to take photo's at 'appropriate times' and not just typical touristy photos. They have serious restrictions about photo taking too.
Possibly the reason there are no people, is because they are starving and too hungry to move out of their shack like dwellings?
Anyway those photos certainly make it 'look' much nicer than it is. Thanks for posting them! I had heard about the ridiculousness in extravagence opposed to the 'real' lives, but for some reason didnt think it would be this extreme.

Great photo's, I would love to go there.
btw what is the big building, which looks like a piramade, in the first photo?

Dutch Baka said:
Great photo's, I would love to go there.

You think you'll be let in? :?

EddyKola said:
^^

All stolen.

What one of the poorest?
It is a member of the EU... i doubt all mercedes' there are stolen

Yes...not all stolen.

But travel all over Eastern Europe...6 in every 10 cars in a Mercedes.

Ma Cherie said:
You think you'll be let in? :?

There's a tour soon, you might still be able to get on, unless your American. No visas issued to Americans last time I checked...

EddyKola said:
^^

All stolen.

Of course you're right it's not a matter of how rich or poor the country is. The point is that not just anybody can drive a Mercedes in the DPRK.

The Guardian Weekly 6-9-2001 said:
Rural areas have abandoned tractors and reverted to ploughing by hand or with livestock. Mercedes Benz cars belonging to the ruling elite ply the streets of the capital, while ordinary citizens dig for edible plants in the grass strips that line the five-lane boulevards. The public food distribution system, on which three-quarters of the population depend, only provides rations on important dates such as the birthdays of Kim Il-sung or Kim Jong-il.

I would never want to go to N.korea simply because it is a seriously evil and corrupt country, doesn't have any redeeming qualitys, all you are doing by going on hoilday there is supporting an aweful country financially.
If you go on holiday there you have to have a guide with you 24/7 and are only allowed to see certain areas at certain times of the day and not to talk to anyone directly- its all part of the propaganda system you see, but you got to be an idiot anyways to think that its a nice country.

Mandylion said:
Where are all the people? If you look in the photos, it seems like everyone is off the streets for a little afternoon nap....
Kara_Nari said:
Possibly the reason there are no people, is because they are starving and too hungry to move out of their shack like dwellings?
That's the first thing that caught my eye also. Also the very few vehicles on the roadways. Not even one truck for the transporting of goods! It's kind of spooky looking at those pics. It must be one of the least crowded capitols in Asia. Kind of ironic and silly to have a traffic officer with so few vehicles on the road. She must be awfully bored.

4321go said:
Though North Korea is our neighbor,It is secret to us~
Why is it a secret? Does the government not talk about their ally North Korea to the Chinese people? I would think that something would be written about North Korea in the Chinese papers or something like that. Interesting.

Thanks for posting the pictures for a glimpse into this most mysterious country.

Dutch Baka said:

Looking for the answer to this question (it is a hotel btw) I found this travel journal of a Japanese person who took a trip to N.Korea. There are good captions for many of the pictures on this thread, as well as lots more from his/her trip. Some are quite funny - even if they are not intended as so. Enjoy -M

EddyKola said:
Yes...not all stolen.

But travel all over Eastern Europe...6 in every 10 cars in a Mercedes.

I am from Eastern Europe.... true there is a lot of mercedes... however when I was in hungary, budapest to be more exact I saw regular cars... such as the ones I see here.

This thread has been viewed 21425 times.

Back