Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Division of ministries/departments in different countries

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Post Division of ministries/departments in different countries

I noticed that the USA has a Department of Health, Education and Welfare. It seems as ludicruous to me to put these 3 together as to have a Department of Defense, Economy and Foreign Affairs. What does Health & Welfare have to do with Education ? I think Education is important enough to have its own department.

The French government has some interesting ministries that I haven't heard of anywhere else. For instance it has a Ministry of Youth, Sports & Social Life. I wonder why that is that French people find it important enough to have a special ministry for "youth" or "sports", while most other countries don't.

There is a French Ministry of Employment, Social Cohesion & Lodging. Social cohesion & lodging ? Isn't part of the Ministry of Interior ? Isn't employment part of the Ministry of Economy ?

Another funny grouping is the Ministry of Transports, Equipment, Tourism & Sea. Especially that Tourism is so important in France (it is after all the most touristic country in the world in termns of number of visitors), so why group it with equipment or even transport in general ?

Japanese ministries are more no-nonsense and better defined, IMO.

The UK has some interesting namings (e.g. Department for Education and Skills, Department for Work and Pensions, Her Majesty’s Treasury, Department for Constitutional Affairs) or government agencies (Office of the e-Envoy, Serious Fraud Office, Crown Estate, Stationery Office, Privy Council Office), but the division is otherwise coherent, although it seems to lack some important departments such as science/research (probably included in education & skills).

Do you know any other interesting ones ?
    Last edited by Maciamo; 18-11-05 at 04:42.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Omnipotence personified Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    very far removed Southerner-Viking; explains a lot

Interesting post !

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    I think Education is important enough to have its own department...

Japanese ministries are more no-nonsense and better defined, IMO.
    I agree with your stand on Education, which is why the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) strikes me as a bit of a reach and a possible exception to your better defined Japanese ministries - but there are always exceptions.
    "It's a d**n poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

- Andrew Jackson

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Mandylion
    I agree with your stand on Education, which is why the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) strikes me as a bit of a reach and a possible exception to your better defined Japanese ministries - but there are always exceptions.
    Good point. I forgot about that one. It should definitely be divided in 3.