Attack or Defence?

What is your preferred style of argument? (Please see descriptions in post #1)

• Total voters
First and foremost, I love arguing for sport, sport, like a moderated debate. Although I sometimes think of how my opinions are grossly superior to some of yours, I generally make a good arguer because I can understand how you feel on the issue of debate, and therefore can see the weakness in your opinion (or mine, for that matter).

I tend to preffer neither offence or defense. Instead I observe the contest at hand until I can assure myself that my input would further the progress of your thinking process and ideals. ^_^

But every once in a neon pink moon, I blow up and completly disregard one's emotions and point out every single idiotically stupid point in their flimsy argument. :) Then, if I'm feeling particularly heated, I will show you exactly how to fix your opinion and show you why you didn't see the loopholes in the first place!:auch:

Anywho, I'm rambling, back on topic here. I generally won't argue my point unless it is challenged, but if it is challenged, I will try to see what is wrong with it, and I can't see anything, and you don't tell me what's so wrong about it, I'll argue. But I'll do it with surgicall precision. Attacking where your walls are weak and defending where your attacks are strongest. For each arguement has different points to them, and you must know which points to seek out and conquer, and which to let fall to wind.

Interesting thread indeed.

I tend to be more of the "Questionable" type as I like to see all points of view on an issue, and have an undeniable thrist for information. When I do get into an argument I tend to be in the "Defensive" category because I really do not like tossing flames around. Very rarely do I get into the "Attack" category, and when I do I usually ignore the person who pissed me off. The reason is because they are too ignorant, over-opinionated, offensive, aggervating (a.k.a s*** distruber as we like to call them here in the States), or all four to bother wasting my time with. There are a couple of members on here as on any board I have visited that fit into that category for me, and I just ignore them rather than having to deal with them. Hell I don't even bother giving them negative reps points either most of the time because they are not even worth it. I have to be in an extremely pissed off mood to reply back, and that is a rarity. So for me I am in the "Questionable" and "Defensive" category more than anything.

Doc :wave:

I answered "a bit of both".

It depends who is arguing; how they put their case; what the argument is all about .... and the mood I'm in.

Just the same in "the real world".

..... I sometimes end up apologising ... or getting shafted .... !

(....Just the same in the "real world" .... !)

.... I like the smilies, though! There a a few nasty ones as well as the humorous ones!:frown: :kaioken: :mad: :box:

?W????

I'll plead guilty to eight items on the "attack" side of the ledger, though I wish there were a better descriptive term for it. "Reasoned" vs. "Emotional", perhaps, though how much of an improvement that is over "Attack" and "Defense" is certainly debatable.

Neither, really. I do like to point out holes in the opinion of my opponents, but I also don't care if I hurt their feelings. I don't insult my opponents nor their intelligence. I admit I may come off as a little condecending once in a while, but I don't think anyone is an idiot unless they prove it themselves. I'm using the pronoun "I" a lot in this particular post because the subject of the thread is "What is your". I'm usually very sensitive about the topic at hand, but not toward opinions that conflict with mine.

I'm one of those annoying "post-facts-statistics-and-articles-from-various-news-sources-from-around-the-world" people. If someone makes a generalization based on their own experience (and it's inaccurate) I will usually reply with one or more links to studies or polls that show otherwise.

I have a distaste for extremists whether they are right-wing, left-wing, athiest, or religious, as they are usually very wrong. I like to call myself a libertarian or independent (not quite sure which) with a slight lean to the left. Since I live in Texas however, many of my aquaintences will tell you I'm a pinko-commie, liberal, wussy (Texas being a very red state) -- but we all know what name calling proves in the midst of any kind of serious debate.

This thread has been viewed 18420 times.

Back