Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HUNTING: The Cruel Sport of Depravity

Ethnic group
    English

Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    If you want a piece of evidence to be taken seriously, one should provide independant verification--otherwise I could simply claim God just told me hunting was okay.
    Funny you should say that. Read the Bible and you'll find animals being slaughtered left, right and centre, especially in the Old Testament. Lots of sacrifices in that.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Not satisfied with the brutal killing of the mother bear, the next day finds them at the base of a tree looking up at the cubs who have fled for their lives. Their gsporth continues:

"Day dawned, and we renewed our search. Two of the remaining Bears were soon discovered, lodged in a tree about a hundred yards from the spot where the last one had been overpowered. On approaching them in a circle, we found that they manifested no desire to come down, and we resolved to try smoking. We surrounded the tree with a pile of brushwood and large branches. The flames ascended and caught hold of the dry bark. At length the tree assumed the appearance of a pillar of flame. The Bears mounted to the top branches. When they had reached the uppermost, they were seen to totter, and soon after, the branch cracking and snapping across, they came to the ground, bringing with them a mass of broken twigs. They were cubs, and the dogs soon worried them to death.

The party returned to the house in triumph."

Yes, the brave and great triumphant hunters. Lots of fun and sport in burning some cubs down from a tree so that dogs could tear them to pieces. It would be interesting to observe if any human ever had fun being killed by a pack of dogs from someone so deranged to set them on them.

Oh, yeah. Lots of cruel fun for a depraved sport. I can almost imagine the festive atmosphere around the bonfire while those cubs were looking down on the flames and snarling dogs awaiting their fall.
    Last edited by strongvoicesforward; 02-01-06 at 17:32.
    [up]"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
    --Albert Einstein[/up]

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Here is what John Muir, the well respected and influential conservationist(1834-1914) who often traveled for weeks in wilderness areas of the U.S. and Canada alone never carrying a gun, and himself sometimes called gThe Father of Our National Parks,h said:

gMaking some bird or beast go lame the rest of its life is a sore thing on onefs conscience, at least nothing to boast of, and it has no religion in it.h

I`m glad to count myself in the company of a man so respected as this, whose influence is still felt, and one who felt no need or desire to kill for a sport with the blood stained haughtiness of arrogance to impose death on another for fun.

If the Audubon story is legit, it sounds like he was having a great time.

Banned

John Muir also accompanied hunting parties and measured their qurry: http://www.siskiyous.edu/library/sha...r/shasgame.htm He counted among his friends many avid hunters including Teddy Roosevelt. He was among the first to question the ethics of hunting publicly at a time when the practive was signigicantly more wide spread.

Bear hunting seems to have little purpose and burning cubs in a tree even less validity.

Banned

I couldn't exactly tell you if today's hunters would engage in that type of activity, if it is allowable or acceptable. The hunters I know prefer a clean kill- but that is not a large sample or definitive in any way.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

John Muir saw it for what it was, or at least what he felt it was:

hIn nothing does man, with his grand notions of heaven and charity, show forth his innate, lowbred, wild animalism more clearly than in his treatment of his brother beasts. From the shepherd with his lambs to the redhanded hunter, it is the same; no recognition of rights -- only murder in one way or another.h

Well said. A well respected and admired man. He had some incites that would take decades for many more people to come to agree with. Well ahead of his time like most visionaries.

Banned

No argument about John Muir. I have wandered some of the same trails- over the passes and by the same lakes...and I am thankful for his contribution to conservation.

Quote Originally Posted by sabro
    I couldn't exactly tell you if today's hunters would engage in that type of activity, if it is allowable or acceptable. The hunters I know prefer a clean kill- but that is not a large sample or definitive in any way.

I agree. I've been to a number of sports shows and talked to quite a number of hunters over the years and they do prefer clean kills and not having the animal ripped to shreds.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

So funny to see the NRA scaring the hunters (probably not as much animals are when lead is pumped into their gut) with their possible extinction because of the rising opposition to them. Here is one of their past membership drive adverts to get hunters to stampede into their org:

---------------------------------------------------
    DADDY, WHAT WAS A HUNTER?

YOU ARE IN DANGER!

Picture yourself sitting in front of a cheerful fire, telling your children or grandchildren about ...the year hunters became extinct.

Make no mistake. It could happen -- because therefs a huge wave of anti-hunting sentiment building on the horizon, ....h
    -----------------------------------------------------

Hey hunters, ...BOO! (lol. snicker snicker). You guys are seeming a little spooked about us being around. But, it is nice to know that you are taking those who are calling for your sportfs end seriously and now you are spending recourses because of us.

You guys had better all run into the arms of papa NRA and pay your membership fees so he can see to it that your kind keeps procreating, and in the meantime, keep lobbying and fighting with your membership fees for the rights of citizens to own urban automatic assault weapons so that more Columbines can happen. The NRA is your patron saint, isnft he? or is the NRA your papa, --- eeeerrrr.... or your mama?

BANG! Just like the wolf you wiped out in the lower 48 a century ago. Youfre gone! Well, not yet. But the future is against you as more and more turn on you and reject your reasons for your continuance.

But, at least your end will come through tighter and tighter legislation and outright rejection -- not from the end of a barrel which you were so unkind to visit upon other lives. You can take some smug comfort in that.

Banned

What was that?

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

I have just one question after observing this thread since its start.

For strongvoicesforward:

What exactly brought you to a Japan-based forum? I mean, most people who come here, and spend this much time here, have some interest in Japan, which they usually make known. Since hunting is definitely not limited to Japan, I just wonder. Sure, this forum has lots of non-Japanese discussions, but usually members of this Japan-based community partake in some Japan-based discussion as well.

Even though I am definitely NOT a supporter of hunting(despite being around it all my life), this thread almost seems spam-ish, in a way.

It just makes me wonder, is all...
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Hi Kirei_na_me,

I also enjoy martial arts and study Japanese as well.

Animal rights are a big interest of mine and since I found this forum and saw all the wide variety of topics, not just Japan, I saw it as a great place for expressing opinions and discussing.

I also have a strong interest in religion (de-bunking Xtianity) but just haven`t gotten around to posting on that yet. I would have probably posted in other topics by now had not the hunting thread been so active. I have some things to say about Japan, too. But, animal rights are my main passion. Have no interest in posting on Animal Rights forums because that is no fun when everyone sits around and just agrees with each other. Here everyone has a variety of opinions on animals and it isn`t being very pro-active in outreaching to others if we just talk to everyone who agrees like we do.

I think if I were spamming, I would be making numerous posts all over the place and hijacking threads. Please note that that is not my mode of operati. I respect the rules of the forum/internet ettiquette and post appropriately in the right sections.

I am glad to see you have been following the thread since its beginning. Please don`t misunderstand honest passion for spamming.

Have I satisfied your curiosity?

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

Yes, you have. I thank you very much for sharing

I hope to see you in other threads in the future, I really do.

Banned

Thank kirei_na_me, It is good to hear from you.

Banned

Strongvoiceforward has notified my by private message that he is no longer going to respond to me because I failed to take Reiku to task for calling him an ignorant Hitler wannabe. I guess that showed me. He says now that he is going to try to debunk Christianity. First attack hunting, meat eating, animal testing, and other large elements of culture in the name of Animal Rights, then defend eco-terrorist and their tactics. Now attack an ancient faith. I personnaly would prefer an old bible thumping street preacher on my corner than this person telling me self-rightously how to live, what I can eat and what I should believe based on strange analogies. I'm off to walk my Zombie Bunny in the rain. Fair well strongvoiceforward. I hope you can respond to other carniverous people of faith for a more extended period in the future.

Ethnic group
    The primordial soup

Years ago, before those concerned with animals began growing in numbers and organizations, on NBC there was a show titled, gSay Good-bye,h which showed a lot of animal killing scenes by hunters. When this show aired the feedback was immediate and thousands of letters poured into sponsors of the show thanking them for highlighting the cruelties in which animals are targeted for.

The hunters and their orgs were embarrassed and outraged that they should have been so exposed on national tv for their savagry. What is funny, they began sending out en-mass to their fraternity of blood junkies, requests for them to write local TV stations encouraging producers to censor the film if it were to be shown in their market. They wrote to their followers:

gSportsmen (
    snicker snicker) should contact local TV stations, libraries, and schools in their areas and urge (a) that these organizations not obtain copies of the film if they have not already done so and (b) if they already have the film suggest the following segments be edited out:

I. the last 50 or so seconds of the first segment in which hunters are shown clubbing baby fur seals to death.

II. the last 50 seconds of the second segment showing the shooting of prarie dogs.

III. a segment where a polar bear is tranquilized with a dart in front of her cubs.

IV. a close up of people skinning a girraffe they had just killed and were preparing to eat.h

Sure they want all that to not get on the airways to the masses who are not hunters. It exposes their cult for their sport (snicker snicker) for what it is and they know people will immediately identify it for what it is -- cruel and unnecessary, if not out right revolting. It could only damage future membership in their fraternity of pain and suffering.

To them hunting is part of the gAmericanh way and America`s heritage. Likewise, they feel trying to exert a little censorship in suppressing the truth is also part of the American way.

Yeah, I can see why legitimate hunters wouldn't want to be misrepresented like that. A tv show that uses graphic violence, sensationalism, and portrays an isolated exaple of animal cruelty as the norm of hunting?

Gee, why would hunters feel alarmed at that?

Put it this way--why would it be bad to portray Jeffry Damer as the "norm" of humanity?

Clubbing baby seals indeed.

Better yet--lets find footage of a sociopath setting his cat on fire and use that as evidence against pet ownership.

By the way, kirei_na_me: Your suspicions were correct. I checked all of SVF's posts, and these are the only two that weren't either about animal rights or from his new anti-christianity thread were these:

Quote Originally Posted by strongvoicesforward
    I would like to see the font style changed to a "Times New Roman" font at a 3 or 4 point size. A "Times" font is much easier on the eyes and the motion of the eye from left to right goes much more smoothly. There is a reason why all major newspapers choose the "Times New Roman" font, and that is what I just explained.

Doesn`t the following look better than the above?:

I would like to see the font style changed to a "Times New Roman" font at a 3 or 4 point size. A "Times" font is much easier on the eyes and the motion of the eye from left to right goes much more smoothly. There is a reason why all major newspapers choose the "Times New Roman" font, and that is what I just explained.
    -------------------------------------------

One more thing I would like to see is:

At the top of the main forum page menu on the right, have a list of the most recent 10 posts. That way people wouldn`t have to search for recent posts and people will click into categories that they may not be inclined to visit. This would increase discussion and broaden peoples' perspectives and interests as they visit other threads. The recent postings would always be changing so it would really give the board that "hopping and happening" image.
    Quote Originally Posted by strongvoicesforward
    Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say "hi" to everyone before I started posting on topics that interest me. Looks like a lot of discussion going on here and am looking forward to jumping in.

I will mainly discuss vegetarianism and animal rights/welfare issues. I also enjoy religious discussion as well. That's it for now.

strongvoicesforward
    He claims to be intersted in Nihingo and martial arts, but after more than 150 posts, averaging 17.53 posts a day--not one of them has been on these subjects.

I never had any doubts, but in case anyone else did:

strongvoicesforward is only here to promote his political views, not become a meaningful participant in this community

That's not spamming...

...it's trolling.
    Baka ningen.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

I think this thread has gone a little too far. I will therefore close it.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910