Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rice in European food

Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered

Here in Portugal, rice is a very important suplement, seen that we have it almost every meal. Whether it is with meat, fish, or just vegetables. We eat it in a lot of different ways and many times we eat rice and potatoes together with something else (which I consider a mistake).

3 months registered

Rice pudding is a dish made from rice mixed with water or milk and sometimes other ingredients. Different variants are used for either desserts or dinners. When used as a dessert, it is commonly combined with a sweetener.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Rice is my favorite dish so I like this recipe!
    I want to make such a dish with a rice!

Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 52.0%

Ethnic group
    España

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Rice with milk we usually eat at home sometimes. The paella that is a Valencian dish but that has long been adopted by all Spaniards in their diet. Rice with asparagus. Non dry dried rice with peeled prawns, squid is like a paella but more simplified.

Potatoes I would eat every day. We have the salmorejo that in Cordoba as a gazpacho base but in the province of Cádiz with that term we have a dish based on cooked potato, with boiled egg, spring onion, parsley and seasoned with olive oil and vinegar, a kind of salad of potato

We also have a dish called arroz a la cubana, which is boiled rice passed through the pan to make it more tasty, tomato sauce and on top of the mountain a fried egg and two salsichas.
    In the traditional stew in the broth you can put noodles or very little rice so that the broth does not thicken.

Sticky rice with monkfish and shrimp. It can be done in a thousand ways, prawns and squid, prawns and peas, e.t.c.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Rice with milk we usually eat at home sometimes. The paella that is a Valencian dish but that has long been adopted by all Spaniards in their diet. Rice with asparagus. Non dry dried rice with peeled prawns, squid is like a paella but more simplified.

Potatoes I would eat every day. We have the salmorejo that in Cordoba as a gazpacho base but in the province of Cádiz with that term we have a dish based on cooked potato, with boiled egg, spring onion, parsley and seasoned with olive oil and vinegar, a kind of salad of potato

We also have a dish called arroz a la cubana, which is boiled rice passed through the pan to make it more tasty, tomato sauce and on top of the mountain a fried egg and two salsichas.
    In the traditional stew in the broth you can put noodles or very little rice so that the broth does not thicken.

Sticky rice with monkfish and shrimp. It can be done in a thousand ways, prawns and squid, prawns and peas, e.t.c.
    It all looks and sounds delicious. I love rice, and potatoes. Really like Spanish and Portuguese food in general. The only thing I quibble with is how in some areas and restaurants the beef and lamb are too well done. I'm with the French: unless you're stewing it, it should be no more than medium rare. Italians are sometimes guilty of overcooking these meats too.

My mother often made me a "soup" of hot milk and rice with butter and sugar and sometimes a bit of cinnamon when I came in from the cold, sort of a very milky rice pudding :)

Minestra di riso al latte: a little misjudgment there as it needs more milk.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

I have no idea why people enjoy eating rice. White rice doesn't have taste, just full of carbohydrates.
    I really enjoy much more traditional European food, with history of 5 thousand years at least. Long live BUCKWHEAT!!!
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Can't talk to a man who would prefer buckwheat (yuck) to risotto and paella. :)

Your WHG and EHG ancestors ate a ton of seafood and fish. This should be right up your alley.

Don't yell at me if it's not authentic enough, Carlo. :)

I guess you turn up your nose to Amerindian potatoes too? Not me. I bless them every time I eat them. :)

Seriously, I don't know much about buckwheat, but rice has the ability to absorb incredible amounts of flavor from the foods with which it is mixed. As for "Chinese" white rice, I would have to agree with you. I don't see the point of it. To me, it's dry as dust. I only eat roast pork fried rice, which is, of course, much more fattening. :) Thank God for a good metabolism.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 48.0%

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

I'm not lying when I say this but I tend to buy an extra container of white rice when I buy Chinese to have as a snack later on when I feel hungry at night. I don't know why I like it but I just do, maybe it's the texture
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

^^To each their own. I use it to make the rice, milk, sugar soup I pictured above, or Sicilian fried rice balls.

Technically, they should be made with arborio rice, but waste not want not, as they say.

Taste in food is as different as attraction in mates.

Whatever makes you happy is my motto.

Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I'm not lying when I say this but I tend to buy an extra container of white rice when I buy Chinese to have as a snack later on when I feel hungry at night. I don't know why I like it but I just do, maybe it's the texture
    I've never eaten a bowl of white rice. Pork fried rice only. (Rarely)
    Chinese Chihuahua Isotope. LOL

Level

Ethnic group
    España

Cuban rice is a dish that children like very much, also to the elderly. It is a dish of Cuban cuisine of Spanish origin. I do not remember it in my children's diet, but in the 80's It came back from nothing and became very popular. At the beginning it was made with banana but then the bananas were replaced by sausages, in other latitudes I would like with bacon strips. Children love rice simply boiled and mix everything, but if you pass the rice a little in the pan better, at least for an adult.

1 year registeredThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 63

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

Ethnic group
    Italian

Some brilliant mind has converted the "pasta alla gricia" (a Lazio and center-italian typical recipe) in a risotto.
    I haven't experienced it yet, but the temptation is strong.

Here it is.

Ingredients for 2 people

Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy
    • Pork cheek (“Guanciale di maiale”), 120 g;
    • Carnaroli rice, 120 g;
    • Pecorino Romano cheese, 50 g;
    • Black pepper, abundant;
    • Salt to taste.
    • Chicken broth 350 ml.

Preparation

Slice the pork cheek into strips. In a saucepan, brown it with soft flame so that it loses a large part of its fat and become crispy. Then remove it from the pan, keeping aside all the fat filtering it with a strainer: it will serve to stir in the risotto.

Toast the rice in the same saucepan without adding fat until it becomes translucent. Sprinkle it with a glass of wine and add a ladle of the chicken stock at a time and cook (about 16 minutes).

Whip the risotto with the pecorino cheese, the butter and the cheek fat, adjusting it with the stock in order to obtain a perfect consistency. Serve the rice in a plate and sprinkle it with plenty of minced black pepper.

Complete the plate with the strip cheek in the center.

This is the original link for the recipe
    https://chefincamicia.com/ricette/pr...o-alla-gricia/

Enjoy your meal! ;)

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Stuvanè View Post
    Some brilliant mind has converted the "pasta alla gricia" (a Lazio and center-italian typical recipe) in a risotto.
    I haven't experienced it yet, but the temptation is strong.

Here it is.

Ingredients for 2 people

Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy
    • Pork cheek (“Guanciale di maiale”), 120 g;
    • Carnaroli rice, 120 g;
    • Pecorino Romano cheese, 50 g;
    • Black pepper, abundant;
    • Salt to taste.
    • Chicken broth 350 ml.

Preparation

Slice the pork cheek into strips. In a saucepan, brown it with soft flame so that it loses a large part of its fat and become crispy. Then remove it from the pan, keeping aside all the fat filtering it with a strainer: it will serve to stir in the risotto.

Toast the rice in the same saucepan without adding fat until it becomes translucent. Sprinkle it with a glass of wine and add a ladle of the chicken stock at a time and cook (about 16 minutes).

Whip the risotto with the pecorino cheese, the butter and the cheek fat, adjusting it with the stock in order to obtain a perfect consistency. Serve the rice in a plate and sprinkle it with plenty of minced black pepper.

Complete the plate with the strip cheek in the center.

This is the original link for the recipe
    https://chefincamicia.com/ricette/pr...o-alla-gricia/

Enjoy your meal! ;)
    Brilliant indeed. :) I'm making it tomorrow. Well, I'll make it if I can find guanciale.

Oh, the hell with it, I'll use pancetta if I have to...

1 year registeredThree Friends5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 63

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Brilliant indeed. :) I'm making it tomorrow. Well, I'll make it if I can find guanciale.

Oh, the hell with it, I'll use pancetta if I have to...
    Eheh... good job: guanciale is a product not always on hand.
    In this case it's better not to be too purist: a smoked pancetta of good quality can be a valid substitute

King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Junior Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 19

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Timothybrate
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Timothybrate

Ethnic group

Rice in European food

Since May ,I was feeding my Chow with 2 bowls of Rice 1 spoonful ground beef 2 spoons dry dog food ,2 times a day,my Chow is 5 months old,weight 52 Lbssome body told me dont feed my Chow with too much Rice,because High Sugar from Rice will caused Diabetes to the dog ??Is this true ??any comments / advice.........thanks

Level

Ethnic group
    España

[CITA = Timothybrate; 566575] Desde mayo, estaba alimentando a mi Chow con 2 tazones de arroz 1 cucharada de carne molida 2 cucharadas de comida seca para perros, 2 veces al día, mi Chow tiene 5 meses, pesa 52 libras El cuerpo me dijo que no comiera mi Chow con demasiado arroz, porque el alto contenido de azúcar del arroz causó la diabetes al perro? ¿Es cierto? ¿Algún comentario / consejo ......... gracias [/ QUOTE]

The best option is a high-end industrial feed if you can not or do not want to spend so much money a mid-range feed. Fresh meat has very little protein for a dog and compound feed already has rice, so you are giving your dog a minimum of feed by adding natural meat and rice to increase the amount so your dog will have a bad growth generating in the future health problems that will force him to have an expense in veterinarians and treatments spending ten times more than what is now being saved by cheating himself. Boiled rice mixed with bread crumbs goes well a day or two when the dog has diarrhea from having eaten something in the street or at home that should not.

Choose a brand and do not change. Dogs have very few taste receptors on the tongue compared to humans, they split the food and swallow, they do not turn the food around in their mouth, they are guided by the smell. To be changing the brand dog with the argument that it must be boring to always eat the same thing is a human projection. Brand changes are not good because they control the intestinal flora of the dog. With 5 months has to eat three times a day. I am not in favor of measuring the quantities, at first it will seem that he eats more than the bill and it is a ruin but he ends up regulating himself and will eat what he needs. From 7 months, two servings a day and a year, 1 serving a day. If he is of big race and male as I understood, I would give him puppy fodder until he was two years old, if he is a female until one and a half years old, then he goes to one for an adult dog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12