Rice in European food

Since May ,I was feeding my Chow with 2 bowls of Rice 1 spoonful ground beef 2 spoons dry dog food ,2 times a day,my Chow is 5 months old,weight 52 Lbssome body told me dont feed my Chow with too much Rice,because High Sugar from Rice will caused Diabetes to the dog ??Is this true ??any comments / advice.........thanks

[CITA = Timothybrate; 566575] Desde mayo, estaba alimentando a mi Chow con 2 tazones de arroz 1 cucharada de carne molida 2 cucharadas de comida seca para perros, 2 veces al día, mi Chow tiene 5 meses, pesa 52 libras El cuerpo me dijo que no comiera mi Chow con demasiado arroz, porque el alto contenido de azúcar del arroz causó la diabetes al perro? ¿Es cierto? ¿Algún comentario / consejo ......... gracias [/ QUOTE]

The best option is a high-end industrial feed if you can not or do not want to spend so much money a mid-range feed. Fresh meat has very little protein for a dog and compound feed already has rice, so you are giving your dog a minimum of feed by adding natural meat and rice to increase the amount so your dog will have a bad growth generating in the future health problems that will force him to have an expense in veterinarians and treatments spending ten times more than what is now being saved by cheating himself. Boiled rice mixed with bread crumbs goes well a day or two when the dog has diarrhea from having eaten something in the street or at home that should not.

Choose a brand and do not change. Dogs have very few taste receptors on the tongue compared to humans, they split the food and swallow, they do not turn the food around in their mouth, they are guided by the smell. To be changing the brand dog with the argument that it must be boring to always eat the same thing is a human projection. Brand changes are not good because they control the intestinal flora of the dog. With 5 months has to eat three times a day. I am not in favor of measuring the quantities, at first it will seem that he eats more than the bill and it is a ruin but he ends up regulating himself and will eat what he needs. From 7 months, two servings a day and a year, 1 serving a day. If he is of big race and male as I understood, I would give him puppy fodder until he was two years old, if he is a female until one and a half years old, then he goes to one for an adult dog.

Is European rice of the japonica or indica variety?

I don't know about other countries, but Italian rice varieties like Carnaroli and Arborio are japonica strains.

I think the American brands like Carolina and Uncle Ben's are indica. The Uncle Ben's is also parboiled, which I don't like, so when using American brands I use Caroline rice.

I don't know about other countries, but Italian rice varieties like Carnaroli and Arborio are japonica strains.

I think the American brands like Carolina and Uncle Ben's are indica. The Uncle Ben's is also parboiled, which I don't like, so when using American brands I use Caroline rice.

Interesting. Thanks. I'm curious how japonica rice strains got so far west. If they were indica I guess the vector would have been the southern silk road from India to Iran to Anatolia to Southern Europe.

I'm not a fan of American rice brands. They may be indica but nothing compared to what you can find in Iranian or Indian markets.

Interesting. Thanks. I'm curious how japonica rice strains got so far west. If they were indica I guess the vector would have been the southern silk road from India to Iran to Anatolia to Southern Europe.

I'm not a fan of American rice brands. They may be indica but nothing compared to what you can find in Iranian or Indian markets.

I've always assumed the American rice was introduced via English planters, in the Carolinas, for example. Why it's different from actual Indian rice I don't know.

Italians use the short grain rice because we cook it slowly with occasional ladle fulls of a hot liquid, either a vegetable or chicken or fish broth, and as a result the "dish" becomes very creamy, almost soupy. However, if you don't eat it right away it can get sticky, like sushi rice.

I had a great deal of trouble with "American" rice when I first came here because I found it so dry as to be almost inedible until I got used to it.

Risotto from our Italian rice:
2017-04-14-ViaVerdi-1024x683.jpg

With porcini mushrooms
maxresdefault.jpg

Milanese style with saffron and stewed veal shank
4Yoopsr.jpg

I've always assumed the American rice was introduced via English planters, in the Carolinas, for example. Why it's different from actual Indian rice I don't know.

Italians use the short grain rice because we cook it slowly with occasional ladle fulls of a hot liquid, either a vegetable or chicken or fish broth, and as a result the "dish" becomes very creamy, almost soupy. However, if you don't eat it right away it can get sticky, like sushi rice.

I had a great deal of trouble with "American" rice when I first came here because I found it so dry as to be almost inedible until I got used to it.

Risotto from our Italian rice:
2017-04-14-ViaVerdi-1024x683.jpg

With porcini mushrooms
maxresdefault.jpg

Milanese style with saffron and stewed veal shank
4Yoopsr.jpg

Looks delicious. Mushroom risotto is one of my favorite dishes.

I'm guessing rice spread along the Northern Silk Road from China to Italy?

Looks delicious. Mushroom risotto is one of my favorite dishes.

I'm guessing rice spread along the Northern Silk Road from China to Italy?

Actually, it's much more recent. There was a local rice in Lombardia starting maybe 15th century which they got from the Spaniards ruling Southern Italy. I have no idea where the Spaniards got it. However, it was destroyed by some fungus in the late 1700s, so in the 1800s rice was imported from China and Japan because their varieties were resistant to this blight. It may be the climate in those areas was good for it too. It's a continental climate in Lombardia, Piemonte where it's grown.

Then they had to figure out how to make it creamy. :)

They def did a good job out of making it creamy. I never understood the appeal of dry, sticky rice. Italians do rice the best. Only Persians can compete imo.

Either way its crazy how rich and diverse European food is. I don't understand the dumb people who claim "white food" is boring.

This thread has been viewed 60283 times.

Back