Votes: 1 3.3%
  • amblyopia

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I should wear glasses/contact lenses but I don't know what I have

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I wear glasses/contact lenses but I don't know what I have

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
I am longsighted, badly in my right eye. I also have a slight astigmatism in my left. I started wearing contacts about 18 months ago, but I still wear my specs for work and for my archery. I probably get it from my father, as he is also long sighted. My mother is shortsighted, but she blames having me for her bad eyesight. The real pig is my brother has perfect eyesight:eek:kashii:

I've been using computers for 15 years and the only eye issue I have is Mild Deuteranopia.
Yeah tongue twister eh. It's basically slight colour-blindness. All it means is that I can't do those funky coloured dot (Ishihara) tests. http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

Apart from that it's not a problemo. The grass isn't red, and jellybeans aren't all grey.

I wear glasses since I was 8 y.o. thanks to that stupid box called television...

I have mid myopia. Right eye slightly more than left eye. Started way back in junior high. Wear contacts most of the time now.

I have Myopia, and recently I seem to have problems to see red so I've been wondering if I might be daltonic also. [Sighs]

What no member in here has perfect vision?:souka:

Oh well I do and so do the rest of my siblings and my parents. Actually my parents wear glasses due to aging reasons, but that's not counted.

My husband wears glasses but he won't tell me whether he is near or far sighted.

I have slight astigmatism, and Myopia.

I am fine without glasses, walking around, driving (even though I am required to wear them while driving). However, I need to put my glasses on when I'm in class.

It's neat. Their are going to be a lot of changes within eye treatment soon.

My husband wears glasses but he won't tell me whether he is near or far sighted.

:? like there is no way you can find out... well, just joking, it is not really important to know, but it's quite funny that he won't tell you

Minty, you should hide his glasses and see what he attempts to look at. If he starts squinting to see far away, then you'll know he has Myopia and Vice versa.

I actually had cataracts aged 24. My brother had them aged 19.
There is no family history of it on either side. I now have two false lens in my eyes and have no need for glasse except for when reading up close.
Technically I think I'm a cyborg.:LOL:
Aparently cataract operations have been going on since before the Romans.
Doctors had no answers. Im not colour blind although both my brother are.

So far my eyes are fine almost same as at birth. Though with years (45 now) I had to move my books about 4" farther than before. My eyes were never too good to see green. I see grass is green and obvious greens, but if there is a tint of green in some colours I won't see it.

I have a perfect vision.

I am extremely myopic and have been sense I was 8 years old. Glasses were part of my life until I finally found that soft contacts worked great for me. When I turned 50 I developed extremely dry eyes and had to stop wearing contacts. The dry eyes were an early symptom of rheumatoid arthritis.

I have slight myopia (around 2 degrees in each eye) and I wear contact lenses. I plan on having lasik surgery as soon as my myopia becomes stable (I'm still young :D ).

My dad and my brother have perfect eyesight (ok my dad started developing presbyopia at the age of 47) and my mom has 1.5 degrees of myopia, so I know who to blame!

Last edited:
Interesting. I cannot find anything reliable in terms of color blindness by region, but northwestern Europe has been indicated as being very high in terms of frequency. Do you have any more specific information how frequent it is in different parts of the British isles?
View attachment 8735
(Why are some people color blind?)
I actually had cataracts aged 24. My brother had them aged 19. There is no family history of it on either side. I now have two false lens in my eyes and have no need for glasse except for when reading up close. Technically I think I'm a cyborg.:LOL: Aparently cataract operations have been going on since before the Romans. Doctors had no answers. Im not colour blind although both my brother are.

There isn't a single person in my extended family who wears glasses, but you can develop a need for glasses through straining your eyes, as I did through lots of hours spent reading in very poor light. I even used to do the old flashlight under the covers thing so my mother wouldn't come in and yell at 4 am in the morning because I was still up reading:)

Those kind of eye problems don't usually get very bad, though, thank-goodness. My prescription has changed very little over the years, and I only wear them for real distance. If your eyesight isn't that bad, as you age the shape of the eyeball changes, making you more far-sighted, and the near-sightedness gets better.

The problem with contacts for some people, including me, is that they pop out constantly if you have rather dry eyes. Then you're told to put liquid tears in your eyes all the time. It was too much of a hassle so I just wear glasses for when I really need them, i.e. driving and watching tv from across a room or watching a film at the cinema.

Maybe I'm strange, but I like the way people look in the right glasses, including me. :)

I'm rather intrigued by the whole color blindness thing, particularly the fact that people often don't know they have it. For years my father would make what seemed like strange comments about the color of things, or when asked to go get something of a certain color, wouldn't be able to choose. When he was in his sixties he went in for an eye test because he was getting so far-sighted and they told him. From what I remember it's mostly a male thing, isn't it?

I wear glasses, because I'm as blind as a bat. I have a big-time phobia about anything touching my eyes; so I have never tried contacts.

I was considering LASIK surgery, though.

I cannot for the life of me put contacts in!!! You'd have to render me unconscious before attempting :). I tried numerous times but my eyes hate it when something comes too close to them. And I have macular degeneration and the world is a blurry mess without my specs.

I suffer from, Dry eye's, and have to use eye drops daily, as I cannot now produce tears naturally, this began many years ago, but I still do not know the reason.

This thread has been viewed 40468 times.

Back