Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your opinion on spanking children?

Paddling and The belt

Last year I moved from the UK to America with my wife and two sons Ryan (11) and Adam (14). Whilst visiting a school, which I hoped my boys would enroll, I got a huge shock - corporal punishment in the form of paddling was legal. I couldn't beleive it when I witnessed a student being paddled by his teacher. When I returned home that day I had a long chat with my wife regarding corporal punishment and the possibility of reintroducing it, both in the home and the school. To my surprise she agreed.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by davidanstey View Post
    Last year I moved from the UK to America with my wife and two sons Ryan (11) and Adam (14). Whilst visiting a school, which I hoped my boys would enroll, I got a huge shock - corporal punishment in the form of paddling was legal. I couldn't beleive it when I witnessed a student being paddled by his teacher. When I returned home that day I had a long chat with my wife regarding corporal punishment and the possibility of reintroducing it, both in the home and the school. To my surprise she agreed.
    The South, I presume. The legality of corporal punishment in school is done on a state-by-state basis in the US, and it's mostly just states in the South (and some other states like Idaho and Indiana) that haven't banned it. It is banned in California.

I believe in disciplining children if needed but I personally don`t believe in smacking them.
    We need to teach children what is acceptable behaviour, right from wrong certainly. However I don`t think we should discipline them for small incursions (we`d be at it all day!) Sometimes a stern word or the "look" may often be enough.
    For other offences each parent knows what works best with their own child, whether it`s five minutes on the stair seperated from the family or a mild threat that they won`t have a treat etc.
    A child first learns the nature of wrong and right, good and bad behaviour firstly at home and sometimes a little discipline is required. Boundaries should be set , it`s just I personally don`t believe smacking a child is a good way to do it.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by aliceforde View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    Of course. Hence the coughing smiley.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Regular Member shissem@san.rr.com's Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a-Z726
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a4a1h

Ethnic group
    English/German

When I was a young lad I got paddled by my parents when I deserved it . . . and even at the time I knew that I had deserved it. Despite this, or because of it, I like to think that I grew up to be a rational, orderly member of society.

However, as a parent I felt that other means were probably more effective, and they were. Having my boys stand in a corner to 'think' about their transgressions turned out to be so effective that we had to be certain to limit the time they were so 'excluded'.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-M269 (LDNA)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

Ethnic group
    Thracian

Ehhhh...it's not that bad. Many kids my generation got spanked and we turned out OK. My mother did the disciplining. She used the rod sparingly and only for the most serious offenses. It cured certain tendencies I had as a child (stealing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12