What's your opinion on spanking children?

I don't agree to spanking the children, when they do something wrong, it may be the parents' less care, anyhow, we should communion with them gently.

To be honest, that's the way my parents used to educate us (my mum more than my dad).

When I was a child I didn't understand that. I feared my mum. When I grew older I understood that it was my mum who had a problem (which she has solves already). But all the same: we will never be close with each other anymore (although the horror ended already when I was about 15). She has hurt me too deep. Our relationship is destroyd and there's nothing we could do about that.

Anyone who thinks it's okay to spank children can't have had to go through that himself. If he/she had had to go through that he/she would KNOW, how abasing it is, and how absing it is (even after so many years!) to merely speak about it.

So: No. I'm not going to spank my children. I know too well how much it can destroy a human-being... :sad2:
I know too many people who had to go through the same and who could never forget their parents.

I don't want my child do be "well-behaved" just because it fears me.

And just think of what would be the consequence: your child would never be honest to you, it would never trust you. Whenever there's a problem you will be the last one to kow... that can't be what education is all about?...

Poke 'em in the eye. Shoot them in the foot with paintballs or pepper spray them.

My mother never hit me... although she did spank my brothers... Her greatest weapons were "the look" saying "I'm very disappointed in you" or if she was really angry "I've got seven kids. If I kill one, no one would ever notice." or "You don't have to listen to me, but then again I don't have to feed you."

OH YEAH! Noone's as good as mothers when it comes to reasoning someone into a guilt trip :startled: :grin:

Child buttock-battering vs DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason why television shows like "Supernanny" and "Dr. Phil" are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE, So They Say
by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research with the recommended reads-visit the website of Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education.

Just a handful of those helping to raise awareness of why child bottom-slapping isn't a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,
American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
Center For Effective Discipline,
PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,
Churches' Network For Non-Violence,
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,
Parenting In Jesus' Footsteps,
Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,
United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries, child corporal punishment is prohibited by law (with more in process). In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

I don't think that light spanking qualifies as corporal punishment. It was common when I was a child, and I don't have any particularly traumatic memories about it. On the other hand, kids' fights on the playing ground were often brutal and frequently required medical attention. Cuts, scratches, bruises, bleeding, sprained limbs, concussions, and occasionally even broken arms, legs or noses happened to every single boy in my primary school at least once year. I am only talking about those inflicted by other children, not accidents. I think that teachers or school staff allowing such brutal behaviour to happen (and often turning a blind eye, if not enjoying the fights) are far worse than parents or teachers who just spank or slap children. How about Phys. Ed. teachers who encourage violent behaviour in football or other sports ? That was also the case in my school, so that half of the children were afraid of taking part at all.

Paddling and The belt

Last year I moved from the UK to America with my wife and two sons Ryan (11) and Adam (14). Whilst visiting a school, which I hoped my boys would enroll, I got a huge shock - corporal punishment in the form of paddling was legal. I couldn't beleive it when I witnessed a student being paddled by his teacher. When I returned home that day I had a long chat with my wife regarding corporal punishment and the possibility of reintroducing it, both in the home and the school. To my surprise she agreed.

Last year I moved from the UK to America with my wife and two sons Ryan (11) and Adam (14). Whilst visiting a school, which I hoped my boys would enroll, I got a huge shock - corporal punishment in the form of paddling was legal. I couldn't beleive it when I witnessed a student being paddled by his teacher. When I returned home that day I had a long chat with my wife regarding corporal punishment and the possibility of reintroducing it, both in the home and the school. To my surprise she agreed.

The South, I presume. The legality of corporal punishment in school is done on a state-by-state basis in the US, and it's mostly just states in the South (and some other states like Idaho and Indiana) that haven't banned it. It is banned in California.

I believe in disciplining children if needed but I personally don`t believe in smacking them.
We need to teach children what is acceptable behaviour, right from wrong certainly. However I don`t think we should discipline them for small incursions (we`d be at it all day!) Sometimes a stern word or the "look" may often be enough.
For other offences each parent knows what works best with their own child, whether it`s five minutes on the stair seperated from the family or a mild threat that they won`t have a treat etc.
A child first learns the nature of wrong and right, good and bad behaviour firstly at home and sometimes a little discipline is required. Boundaries should be set , it`s just I personally don`t believe smacking a child is a good way to do it.

When I was a young lad I got paddled by my parents when I deserved it . . . and even at the time I knew that I had deserved it. Despite this, or because of it, I like to think that I grew up to be a rational, orderly member of society.

However, as a parent I felt that other means were probably more effective, and they were. Having my boys stand in a corner to 'think' about their transgressions turned out to be so effective that we had to be certain to limit the time they were so 'excluded'.

Ehhhh...it's not that bad. Many kids my generation got spanked and we turned out OK. My mother did the disciplining. She used the rod sparingly and only for the most serious offenses. It cured certain tendencies I had as a child (stealing).

This thread has been viewed 41167 times.

Back