Debates and arguements, your opinion?

Debate or arguement, negative/postive things or the same?

• An arguement is a more negative form of conversation than a debate

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • A debate and an arguement are essentially the same thing

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • An arguement is more positive from of conversation than a debate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other...

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
I think......

I'd get more joy out of banging my face into a wall then arguing or debating; hate any type of confrontation.

Uncle Frank

:eek:kashii:

Well, it is true that in a debate, you can take the opposite side to your real view, to discuss an issue as an intellectual exercise, but in an argument you tend to go with your real feelings on the matter...

... although 'an argument' is part of a debate in that you present an argument to support your case. :mad:

What can I say?

English sucks as a form of communication.

PRIZMATIC said:
:blush: Question - and who has entitled to achieve my change (or someone's) opinion?... Especially - using those or other arguments?... The God has made me free to choose, but He did not allow anybody the right to force me those or different ways... Only the God can open in me - what is necessary for me...
It is not necessary to substitute the right of the God the right, using rendering of this or that influence on mine (or whose) opinion...
P.S. Sometimes, reading many statements at a forum, I involuntarily look at " badges of the countries " - at me such sensation, that I read " textbooks of methodics from Lubianka"...:hey:

Now there's a misake I see a lot of people making.

It seems like everyone veiws disagreement as an attack on their belieifs--as though you are trying to "force" someone to accept your opinion.

But unless you're a mind control expert, you can't change anyone's opinons--only provide them with your opinion and let them choose for themselves which they prefer.

It's not attacking what someone beleives--it's giving them more options.

Sadly, most people get defensive and never even listen to what you have to say.

What happens when you come to an end or an impasse? Can you agree to disagree? Do you have to have the last word?....hmmmm...

First and foremost, it's 'argument'.

It depends on what type of argument you're talking about. There really isn't a black and white view to whether it's equivalent to debate or more or less positive than conversation.

In its simplest terms, argument is just stating reasons for your beliefs. Whether you realize it or not, everyone uses it often in everyday life. For instance, "I think Japanese is a cool language, as..." would be an argument.

So basically, it can be equally or more positive than conversation, because you might be more interested and involved with something rather than just everyday talk.

But, sometimes two people can have a large disagreement over something. Then it can get negative when they use an aggressive tone, e.g. "That's ridiculous! What on Earth are you talking about? This clearly supports what I think..." There's a solution to this though - reaching a middle ground, where both sides are happy.

And about whether it's equivalent to debate, once again, it depends. Often 'debate' is reserved for controversial and heated topics whereas trivial matters like "Why is sushi so tasty?" would not be a debate. But then again, it's all subjective and people can use 'debate' for everything involving discussion.

So there you go. And for the record, I voted 'Other'.

Even when the person faces to "impasse" the God gives him "revelation"... It is necessary only to learn to live " outside of streams of causeless ideas and the thoughts "... And the God - unique "expert" of me and for me... It is necessary only to learn to follow those "revelations" which He gives me...
The person always is between "Chaos" and "Light" and only the will he chooses the way...
Any "expert" will not replace it...:angel:

Another thought occurred too me, and it seems relevant here. Since it can be assumed that most of us here enjoy debate or argument, what do we enjoy about it, and why do we do it? For myself, I am very committed to learning new things, and improving my self-knowledge. I get involved in debates to this end - to understand things from various points of view and to learn more about what I believe - and it's crucially important to me that I can change my mind.

Tsuyoiko said:
... what do we enjoy about [argument and debate], and why do we do it? ... to understand things from various points of view and to learn more about what I believe - and it's crucially important to me that I can change my mind.
Yeah, basically these things allow people to grow in their beliefs, rather than just accept them as stone (or take them for granted) without challenging them ever. Without venturing into other views, we're bound by the ones that we're fed with, no matter if they're correct or incorrect.

P.S.Dialogue - an exchange of opinions (monologue) - also to everyone in it the God helps to open that other "party"...
But frequently "dialogue" - " is war of the points of view "...:angel:

Debating is something that you can gain from. Arguing is just a big waste of time. Arguing makes you even more mad and you really don't want to hear the other side, and usually you don't because the people who are arguing are trying to think of what they are going to say next instead of listening to the other person.

Debates are also more organized and have rules. Occams Razor. Or if you're making extraordinary claims then the burden of proof is on you. So that means no one has to prove that something does not exist.

P.S."Freedom" - is taken away in discussions as the person should follow this or that theme... In a monologue - the person is free...
Arguments and the facts at times only withdraw from True of conversation...
" Freedom of the Choice " - follows a monologue...
And the person does this "Choice" itself... Instead of under "influence"...
In a reality that we " stand up for discussions " is only an attribute of absence in us abilities to define a train of thought...
We already for a long time all " sit on information dopes " - ability to create revelations - is lost...

I've always veiwed as having a debate with somone, a civilised exchanging of opinions and viewpoints on a particular subject or subjects. An arguement to me is more a strong held matter of a disagreement of opinions and similar things, in an arguement you argue your beliefs or opinions strongly, while in a debate you can discuss opinions or sides that aern't even yours to gain a better viewpoint of the other persons opinions or beliefs- somtimes i enjoy discussing opinions that aern't even mine or ones i support, but rather just to gain a better understanding of where the other person came to theirs :) .

This thread has been viewed 28636 times.

Back