Religion What is faith?

You can do both. Trust logic and science for the answers they can give you and faith for the answers only it can give. They need not be at odds. Although some reject one entirely in favor of the others, I think our task is like Gallileo's tactic at his trial-- to reconcile the two.

(However don't defend your faith on a JREF thread...you will be banned.)

The question still remains: is the trust I place in logic and science a variety of faith? (probably in the sense of definition 1)
i think they are alike. Let`s look at some examples.
1. Person. We usually confident in people we know well, we trust them
basing it on quite simple reasoning: "if he/she was "good" before ths person
unlikely to fail us now(in a future)". With people we don`t know, or know slightly it can be transformed into: "he/she is a decent citizen, therefore it is unlikely for him/her to fail us"
But, frankly speaking, it is more rare to have trust in complete strangers when it come to some seriuos issues (seriousness everyone defines for oneself)

2. idea. "This idea proved to be right before (in various cases), therefore
we extrapolate that it will work well in any other occurences never encountered before" (the degree of positive outcome often defined in terms of probabilities, those probabilities tend to bear tint of individuality - simply some trust more, some less)

Very similar with science. We trust the theory (though, usually limits of its
application well defined) to work well and not to fail us in a future. But since every theory has its boundaries, when we encounter the evidence which
doesn`t fit current theory (-ies), we trust that our logic (or we trust scientists if you like it this way) will find the explanation(s) and will build another theory(-ies) encompassing or complementing the previous one.
It reminds me forecasting the values of a trend, when the equation is built
on previously collected data.
Therefore i can`t get rid of a feeling that there is some hew of irrationality
in this trust, but it doesn`t derogate science at all.
As i said above it can be considered as some instrument of stabilizing.
`Cause if we shall stop trusting our mind we shall admit then that all theories we`ve created in science have nothing to do with nature, but just a product of our mind.
We trust facts, cause and effect relations and logical constructions
(disregarding the logic`s types) our intellect makes.

=======================================

Unfortunatly, i can`t say much about religious faith (especially, the frentic forms of it) from my own experience , because i can put up with idea of God or Demiurge (though, not the one(s) described in various scriptures or myths) and i can live well without existance of such idea or entity (i don`t have to tell you thet the idea can well exist without the object representing it)
But let me elaborate a little bit on this subject. As i mentioned, i leave aside fanatics, especialy those ones who even deny the achievements of modern
science. Let`s take a look at ....mmmm... let`s call them "reasonable believers" (doesn`t matter deists, agnostics or whatever else, but since these forum is more overanxious about people of the Book, i guess i`ll emphasize on them mostly)

First. Maybe, what is called supernatural explanation (or mysterious) was born before the scientific explanation. But with ages natural science developed and with every step could substitute some supernatural explanations with theories and logical constructions. But the question of primary cause is still unanswered what leaves room for a god as creator. Disregarding the stage (varied in different belief systems)
at which creator stoped influencing this world, believers feel greatfull for the possibility to live here an witness its beauty. They do not reject science,
many of then even accept that in future it will explain more, but they still
have reasons to believe in god.

Second. There is always a ... sort of arguement between "physics" and "lyrics" (as we say here in RF). Because in spite of existance of physiology, psychology, psychiatry and such inner world of a human being often exceeds all the logics (it is well seen on a personal level and less on a bigger scale of a society).
Emotional, sentient (i am not about sensuous), aesthetic often irrational.
And it also leaves a room for supernatural or divine.
Every sapient creature (and not only sapient) strives for better, for comfort
(physical and emotional), for balance. If someone finds out that idea of god
(any of its development in religion, laws, rituals and such) brings him peace,
warmth and comfort, and this discovery is proved repeatedly, it becomes a fact.
We tend to trust facts. It doesn`t matter that this is very individual fact,
since we speak about inner world. And even more, communicating with others
person might find out that such facts also work for them, and they even might verbalize their experience if not in same then in similar words.
Take love, for example, with due efforts and explanations it can be reduced
to the chains of chemical reactions and needs of species in survival. It can be
very logical. But at the same time such explanation shall bring to ground
and simplify our attitude toward this feeleing called "love". What is so
exciting and "miraculous" about set of chemichal reactions and ultimate need to reproduce? Frankly speaking, i wouldn`t feel comfortable in a world where the attitude will change. Will you?
The "relation with god" for believers is no different from this "love" thing.
Should they deny all the greate feelings they experience and reduce all to
chemical bouds and electric signals?
Who cares about what inspires my inner world, especially if it leads to honorable ddeds? And why should they nowdays, when religion doesn`t govern anymore? Anyone obsessed with preachers? I am not, i always have polite words to tell them mind their own lives but not mine (if polite speech don`t work, i wouldn`t disdain abusive language then :D). If they will not stop bothering me, i can go to police station and claim that this preachers invade my privacy. I even can just pass by or close my door right in front of their noses, pretending that i don`t notice them. Just that simple.

---- offtop ----
yeah, i know one counterargument to follow. It probably will be that we should care about what inspires the inner world of muslims, because Islam is aggresive and dangerous. Ought to tell, that i am not even going to bother and answer such comments, due to their pure emotionality and dragged in logic (i guess, logic screamed and objected such abuse, but who listened? :D).
-----------------

Third. Once i`ve heard that lot of religion is sphere of spirituality. Maybe. If religious practice works for someone better than moral philosophy, let it be so. The richness of this world is in its varieties not in uniformity

Faith is just confidently believing in something/someone. You can interpret faith in many different ways. Like Tsu-san interpretted as it being religion-based. I guess it could also be a set of principles/beliefs.

Faith is the acceptance of the unknowable and unknown, it is a surrender to the mystery of life and a refusal of the cult of death that claims that all can be explained, that we are the chaotic aggregate of a random event that just happened to create our reality, and that when we die aware snuffs out like a smokeless candle that doesn't even leave a lingering trace in the air to mark its passing.

Nice to see that you have finally jumped in, rhixs san ! I can definitely hear the philosopher in the waves of dancing particles that enjoin in sounding out the rings in your choice of words.

I would take it that the above statement's entering phrase would not have been meant to have been absolute in that there can well be said to be a 'faith' that is based on a fair accumulation of previous empirical knowledge.

Hope to hear more from you. !!

Take your choice:

"Faith" is a fine invention
When Gentlemen can see—
But Microscopes are prudent
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.
H. L. Mencken

In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
Blaise Pascal

OR
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Not only is faith confidently believing in something or someone. But it is something that is cherished. Once someone loses faith, it seems they lose faith in themselves.

The most important faith, it the faith in ones self.

sabro (on Christianity: C & M) said:
That would be essentially correct- if the "Truth" is absolute and exclusive, then any other version by definition is not the truth. So simply because they exclude each other doesn't mean that both are false, it only means that in the world of absolutes, only one is true and the other has to be false...
Thanks Sabro - this statement has just led me to an epiphany that I have been grasping at for months - i.e. why I think that logical reasoning and the scientific method are better ways to understand the world than faith. If two people believe mutually exclusive things, one of them has to be wrong. The only way to resolve this is to find the evidence to prove which is right. If that evidence isn't immediately available, then no claim can be made as to truth. The belief is a hypothesis only. When something is proven by logic or science though, the truth of it is known absolutely, and no belief is necessary. What other criteria are necessary to claim the superiority of these methods?

That would be essentially correct and you could plug that reasoning into that part of the human psyche that seems to drive us toward faith and reverence and worship... you could for a functions pseudo-religion out of science as some have done... but religion makes for bad science and science makes for a bad religion.

This thread has been viewed 14364 times.

Back