Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Should Turkey Join The EU?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 23.81%
  • No

69 65.71%
  • Not Sure

11 10.48%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Turkey Join The EU?

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224
    Overall activity: 0%

Ethnic group
    Humanoid

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    ..... The size is an issue, but you can't compare the two models, given the EU's massive disparity in cultural, linguistic, religious, economic, historic and legal frameworks, education systems, etc. It's like comparing apples with pears.
    Precisely.
    Put everything back where you found it!

Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 542

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

The E.U. has expanded much too fast. Some countries should never have been admitted...

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 224

Ethnic group
    Humanoid

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    The E.U. has expanded much too fast. Some countries should never have been admitted...
    Yes. There are 2 countries in particular ..... I cannot for the life of me understand why they´ve been admitted. Who in hell makes these decisions?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You're right about their disparities. But I lived in the States for over ten years. In my day, someone from Georgia was seen a a real novelty to those of us in California. But - same language; national government; customs; cultural identity; education structure/curriculum, entertainment values; legal framework etc.
    The EU has a government with laws applying in all member states and a European court of justice with power to overrule member-state courts. The EU has harmonised the education system is all member states, so that diploma and degrees are valid everywhere. Exchange programmes (like Erasmus) exist between all EU universities and funded by the EU. There really isn't much difference between the USA and the EU, except than US states are less autonomous.

The size is an issue, but you can't compare the two models, given the EU's massive disparity in cultural, linguistic, religious, economic, historic and legal frameworks, education systems, etc. It's like comparing apples with pears.
    Religious disparity ? The US has much more religious disparity. The Bible Belt is strongly (some might say fundamentalist) Christian but mostly Protestant, New Mexico is mostly Catholic, and places like New York and California are a melting pot of every world religion, but are not very religious overall.

Economic disparities are bigger within the USA than the EU, although the gap is mostly social rather than geographic.

Europe has one common history, just like the USA. British history differs from Italian history just like Texan history differs from Massachusetts history.

I agree that European education systems were quite different 20 years ago. But that's not the case anymore since the EU introduced a common minimum curriculum (example). For universities this was achieved through the Bologna process.

Ask the average guy in the street - are you European first and foremost? I guarantee most would say "no". It's a political and economic construct, not social. Without the social element, it's like building a castle on sand.
    That may be true in the UK, but not everywhere. Let's not forget that the UK is by far the most eurosceptic country. Ask Belgians whether they feel themselves as European as Belgian, and most would say yes (there has been polls).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Greeks strongly identify as Europeans.

I keep reading the news about the polls in UK and I see that many people there want their country to leave the EU.

Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 553
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L48+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    English

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Let's not forget that the UK is by far the most eurosceptic country. Ask Belgians whether they feel themselves as European as Belgian, and most would say yes (there has been polls).
    That's for sure, but Norway (albeit a non-member) is even more Euro-sceptic! I think in principle, the EU is a great concept. I am 100% certain (having spent my whole career in management and business) that in an organisational sense, it is unaccountable, bloated and massively bureaucratic. That's probably a sound reason to engage with the process and help get it changed, rather than turning away from it!!

I find it odd for example, how I have a number of Euro MEPs in my constituency. Who can I nail down as accountable? Which one? All?

In a global economy, I think the EU is our best refuge against the mega economies (e.g. USA, China).

I honestly think though, there is much scope for reform. Or am I being a typical Anglo Saxon?!

Euroasian Achievements:
    3 months registered

Ethnic group
    Turkic Caucausian

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman View Post
    In my opinion it shouldn't. In fact I think it should give up some of its European, such as Istanbul and the lands West of it. Most of its land is in the Middle East and it would be better if they were to join the Middle Eastern or West Asian Union if such a union takes place. I don't even think it should be a candidate.

What do you think?
    Well your argument suggests that the EU is a geographical entity, which is paradoxical as it is. First of all EU is not just a land mass but a union formed by "ideas" like equality, freedom, human rights and many others as stated in the EU constitution.

But let us assume that EU is a geographical union:

1.Where does it start and where does it end? If it ends in Thrace and Istanbul, why Cyprus is in the EU? Cyprus is located in the easten meditterranean region. It's a couple hundred miles away from Syria, Israel, Lebanon and Egypt. So what makes Cyprus in Europe? And what doesn't make Turquie in Europe while 70% of her land mass is more westward than Cyprus is?

2.Again according to your suggestion, UK, Ireland and Iceland are not in the European continent.

3.The idea of a unified Europe has its basis in Ancient Greek and Roman Empire which includes Anatolia, Middle-East and North Africa. Isn't Roman Empire european enough?

4.Another attempt to unify Europe was Ottoman Empire (Which is the descendant of Roman and Byzantine Empires) Her 2 capitals (Adrianopolis and Constantinopolis) were in Europe and her borders started from Wien and included today's Hungary, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia, Romania,Ukraine, Bulgaria, Kosovo, Poland (as an ally), Greece, Makedonia and Albania most of which are EU countries.

5.You stated that the majority of Turquie's lands are in Asia. That's not entirely true. Because Anatolia is a peninsula and it forms a bridge that connects Europe to Asia.

6.Turquie's lands in Europe is much larger than many countries in Europe.

Blah blah blah...

But of course we all know that geographical location has nothing to do with the common tendency of rejecting Turquie's admission to EU.
    For all I know, if Turquie was located in Switzerland it would still be rejected by the average people in the EU.

Because the real cause of rejection lies beneath the misbelief that "Turks are the others" This idea was planted by the Roman Church after the collapse of the Roman Empire, to unify the european kingdoms under the Church's rule. Infact, Turks were not the enemy of Christianity. Even the Mehmet the conqueror of Istanbul was a son of an Orthodox Queen of ours as well as almost all other Ottoman sultans. And yes Turks commited acts of violence not only against christians but also muslims. Yet it was nothing when compared to secterian violence commited by european christians to other christians. This is basic European History 101.

The church used this propaganda to recruit ordinary farmers as soldiers to fight against "the enemies of God". So it was all political. Typical use of religion to decieve people.

But today that status quo has changed. Today's Turquie is the ally of EU and, her soldiers fighted side by side with Western soldiers in Korea, Balkans, Afghanistan, Somalia etc. Also Turquie fights Islamic fundamentalists everywhere in the globe efficiently. And she is doing that not because of political engagements (like Pakistan) but because she is a secular, constitutional, democratic republic.

Also, unlike Germany, japan and Iraq, Turquie has chosen the path of democracy by herself with a revolution and not pressed or forced to do so. Women rights were given in 1920's, long before the U.S. and many european countries.

Also I'm not naive and I know that my country has a lot of democratic issues to be resolved such as the Kurdish identity and reinforcing civil society. Call me an optimist, but I believe that such issues will be resolved in a couple of years. Never forget: This nation has changed its alphabet, revolutionized the society, wiped out the Sharia, found the democratic republic in less than 10 years at the begining of the last century. And I myself am the product of that revolution. I studied in Turkish state schools where I learned ancient Greek philosophy, Magna Carta, tunes of Bach, English, Spanish and other languages and I grew up in the streets of Istanbul. I represent the average Turkish citizen (with a little more effort:)

And I'm asking to my fellow european friends: Do you prefer to sustain the hostility of the medieval times, pushing Turquie away from Europe to Islam world and create an anthagonist and a powerful, potential threat? or Do you prefer to encourage a more democratic country which will strenghten the EU and show the world that EU is not a christian club or a bunch of pious nationalists?

Please answer..

Kivanch K

Musician

Istanbul, TR

No Beer No Point Achievements:
    1 year registered

Ethnic group
    Irish

I would in general be in favour of Turkey joining the EU I think the advantages out weigh any disadvantages, the EU has been a stabilising force encouraging prosperity, democracy and the rights of individuals and bringing a large Muslim country into the fold could act as a be-con to Muslims in other countries who might be tired of the status quo in their own homelands.
    As an Irish man I could never make the argument that Turkey is to poor to be considered for membership but my one main concern is the relative instability between the secular and religious forces at play. Maybe its just the western media slant but it does appear to be a rolling back of secular independence in government and a indirect treat to Turkeys continued democracy.

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered

i believe europe dont want turkey because europe is not democratic enough..
    EU is just a new name of holy crusade in this years.

thats why if they accept turkey there will be no more holy crusade;
    it will became open for every religion every people, so the real democracy will come:)

i dont believe any other needles reasons that eu tells turkey.
    turkey is 10times better then so many countrys in EU.

EU can accept turkey or not;
    its realy not important for me,because i know we are in europe since 1453,and no one can chance this...

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by sfanky View Post
    This is because you think of Europe as Christian. Only lower class, low intelligence, elderly or seriously indoctrinated people are Christian nowadays.

it will became open for every religion every people, so the real democracy will come:)
    You imagine the future as a world of religions. I hope it will be a world of reason instead. Religion is always worse than reason. It leads to wars, it keeps people ignorant, it impedes scientific an social progress, and it make people live with very outdated moral and lifestyle principles.

The future of Europe is not freedom of religion but freedom from religion !

The only reason I think Turkey could possibly join the EU is because it is a secular state and many Western Turks aren't very religious. But it is people like you who make me hesitant about letting Turkey entering the EU.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

This is because you think of Europe as Christian. Only lower class, low intelligence, elderly or seriously indoctrinated people are Christian nowadays.

You imagine the future as a world of religions. I hope it will be a world of reason instead. Religion is always worse than reason. It leads to wars, it keeps people ignorant, it impedes scientific an social progress, and it make people live with very outdated moral and lifestyle principles.

The only reason I think Turkey could possibly join the EU is because it is a secular state and many Western Turks aren't very religious. But it is people like you who make me hesitant about letting Turkey entering the EU.

Too right, Maciamo ...

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

i dont believe any other needles reasons that eu tells turkey.
    turkey is 10times better then so many countrys in EU.

EU can accept turkey or not;
    its realy not important for me,because i know we are in europe since 1453,and no one can chance this...
    Your perspective is all wrong on this... Turkey has a VERY long way to go on many fronts.

Only a small sliver of Turkey can be considered as forming part of Europe.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L48+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    English

Hear, hear. Zealous Christians are as worrying as zealous Muslims. Religion divides. Always has and always will. Since the Bush era, we have been sliding backwards towards a Crusades mentality in the polarisation of politics/religion. Both sides are barking mad.

Instead of asking why Turkey should be admitted to the European Union, I would ask why it should? Where is the compelling social or economic reason?

As posted earlier, I feel strongly that although the EU has much in its favour logically and rationally, there is much work to be done to make the existing membership/structures more accountable to the people and effective, organisationally. No more expansion before that happens, is my vote.

3 months registered

at first i am a turk who is living intanbul(west enough:P) and i am Muslim ..

the thing is i am trying to tell. eu peoples always saying that muslim turkey,turkey is muslim ,religious.... ,

everyone can believe to anything its not my problem i have respect for all of them.

and after hearing from most of eu people that kind a we dont want turkey because most of is muslim.

because many people know muslims wrong and it makes them to think wrong.
    they are not even thinking how it can be good or bad.
    most of people thing just says things like we dont want muslims in europe.
    they know wrong and they fear.. what they dont know

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L48+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    English

at first i am a turk who is living intanbul(west enough:P) and i am Muslim ..

the thing is i am trying to tell. eu peoples always saying that muslim turkey,turkey is muslim ,religious.... ,

everyone can believe to anything its not my problem i have respect for all of them.

and after hearing from most of eu people that kind a we dont want turkey because most of is muslim.

because many people know muslims wrong and it makes them to think wrong.
    they are not even thinking how it can be good or bad.
    most of people thing just says things like we dont want muslims in europe.
    they know wrong and they fear.. what they dont know

There are a few aspects to that. Firstly, that people object because Turkey is Muslim. That is probably true for many, but what people see of Islam in world affairs cannot be considered acceptable, especially to those who hold European values. See the contradiction in values? We do.

Secondly, most Europeans do not value Turkey's approach to democracy and civil rights. I read a poll recently about Turkish attitudes to everyday issues, and it was very concerning - not to the Turks obviously, but to those of us who hold European values dear. (Perhaps someone can assist in finding the survey on the web? It illustrates my point in this paragraph clearly.)

I am not a Christian. My objections are based on the differences in values. Turks are welcome to their views. So are Europeans.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

The overwhelming majority of Turks are not European; in social values, mores or ethnicity. Including Turkey in the E.U. is akin to putting a round peg in a square hole. Membership in the E.U. will never happen for Turkey.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

I have come across an article that could change my opinion on Turkey's admission to the EU if it is confirmed to be true.

The most secular Islamic country is Creationist

It explains that Turkey is more friendly to Creationism and more religious than the United States.

Historically and genetically there is every reason to see Turkish people as Europeans. In fact, Y-DNA studies have shown that a big part of the European population descend from ancient Anatolian (most of haplogroups G2a, J2 and R1b - and some E1b1b).

The geographic issue (saying that Turkey is not physically part of Europe) is just nonsense as it is just a matter of definition. Why should Cyprus or Georgia be seen as part of Europe if Turkey isn't ?

The human rights issue is hypocritical because many EU countries also violate them frequently (notably by having compulsory religion classes at school effectively proselytising one particular form of Christianity).

I thought that the Turkish government's general secularism was good enough to assure it a place in the EU. But if Creationism is the official view of the Turkish government, then this should disqualify them from any EU admission talk. This is just too backward an opinion to be acceptable. A belief in Creationism automatically rule out the theory of evolution and places Earth at the centre of the Universe (usually as a flat entity, not a round planet). Creationists therefore have no understanding of genetics, astronomy and physics. As all sciences are linked, a Creationist government would be unable to provide a proper scientific education to its population, unable to fairly support scientific research, and fail to have a compatible world view with non-Creationist nations.

^ lynx ^

The Turkey into EU debate is rubbish, they aren't an european country. Period.

He has to be a solid ally but not a member of the EU.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 62

No

Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 369

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-S26
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1

Ethnic group
    Celtiberians

They are not european culturally, geographically, ethnically, religiosly and a large etc.
    They are not European, and there should be no debate. But, as we all know, the EU is just a business, nothing more nothing less.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

I have come across an article that could change my opinion on Turkey's admission to the EU if it is confirmed to be true.
    The most secular Islamic country is Creationist
    It explains that Turkey is more friendly to Creationism and more religious than the United States.
    Historically and genetically there is every reason to see Turkish people as Europeans. In fact, Y-DNA studies have shown that a big part of the European population descend from ancient Anatolian (most of haplogroups G2a, J2 and R1b - and some E1b1b).
    The geographic issue (saying that Turkey is not physically part of Europe) is just nonsense as it is just a matter of definition. Why should Cyprus or Georgia be seen as part of Europe if Turkey isn't ?
    The human rights issue is hypocritical because many EU countries also violate them frequently (notably by having compulsory religion classes at school effectively proselytising one particular form of Christianity).
    I thought that the Turkish government's general secularism was good enough to assure it a place in the EU. But if Creationism is the official view of the Turkish government, then this should disqualify them from any EU admission talk. This is just too backward an opinion to be acceptable. A belief in Creationism automatically rule out the theory of evolution and places Earth at the centre of the Universe (usually as a flat entity, not a round planet). Creationists therefore have no understanding of genetics, astronomy and physics. As all sciences are linked, a Creationist government would be unable to provide a proper scientific education to its population, unable to fairly support scientific research, and fail to have a compatible world view with non-Creationist nations.
    I don't view Cyprus or Georgia as European either.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Cambria Red View Post
    I don't view Cyprus or Georgia as European either.
    True that Cyprus and Georgia do not have a typically European genetic make-up, but more of a Middle-Eastern one. But be careful that with that kind of reasoning, you could say that if Cyprus isn't European, then Greece isn't either, and if Greece isn't well South Italy isn't, and if it isn't then southern France isn't that European either, and so on... Until you realise that our ancestors all came from the Middle East after all.

Now if you just mean purely geographically, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana, New Caledonia and French Polynesia are all part of the EU and use the euro (except the two latter). Their populations are overwhelmingly non-European too. The Canary Islands are part of Spain and the EU although they are geographically in Africa.

The EU is first and foremost an economic and political union, not a genetic or cultural one. Cultural diversity and expressed in the regions of Europe, not even at the member-state level.

It may not be entirely consistent that French overseas possessions are in the EU, while Dutch and British ones aren't (not even those that are in Europe, like Jersey & Guernsey or Gibraltar !). But that's politics !

Consequently, the decision of Turkey joining the EU will be, after all, a political one, not one based on geography, language, genetics or history. Needless to say that religion has a big impact on politics, though.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b (RL-21*)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3

Ethnic group
    Gallaecian Celtic

True that Cyprus and Georgia do not have a typically European genetic make-up, but more of a Middle-Eastern one. But be careful that with that kind of reasoning, you could say that if Cyprus isn't European, then Greece isn't either, and if Greece isn't well South Italy isn't, and if it isn't then southern France isn't that European either, and so on... Until you realise that our ancestors all came from the Middle East after all.
    Now if you just mean purely geographically, Martinique, Guadeloupe, French Guyana, New Caledonia and French Polynesia are all part of the EU and use the euro (except the two latter). Their populations are overwhelmingly non-European too. The Canary Islands are part of Spain and the EU although they are geographically in Africa.
    The EU is first and foremost an economic and political union, not a genetic or cultural one. Cultural diversity and expressed in the regions of Europe, not even at the member-state level.
    It may not be entirely consistent that French overseas possessions are in the EU, while Dutch and British ones aren't (not even those that are in Europe, like Jersey & Guernsey or Gibraltar !). But that's politics !
    Consequently, the decision of Turkey joining the EU will be, after all, a political one, not one based on geography, language, genetics or history. Needless to say that religion has a big impact on politics, though.
    I understand what you are saying, but we need to draw a LOGICAL line somewhere that accounts for both culture and geography, at the very least.

^ lynx ^

You can't compare the Canary Islands or Martinique with Cyprus or Georgia. Cyprus and Georgia are sovereign states while the Canary Islands and Martinique are just a former part of two european states (Spain and France respectively).

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Hmmm, there is a way for them to join if they really want to.

They have to attack Greece or Bulgaria, when they fight back Turkey surrenders and becomes a province of Greece or Bulgaria. Therefore they'll be eligible to join EU as such. It's like a back door way in.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast