Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Please answer/select the poll options honestly.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The paedophile should get the death sentence.

    3 15.79%
  • The paedophile should get life or more than 50yrs+ in prison.

    4 21.05%
  • The paedophile should get 40yrs+ in prison.

    1 5.26%
  • The paedophile should get 20-30yrs+ in prison.

    1 5.26%
  • The paedophile should get 10yrs+ in prison.

    3 15.79%
  • The paedophile should get 5-10yrs in prison or less.

    1 5.26%
  • The paedophile should be castrated/have his testicles removed.

    5 26.32%
  • The paedophile should get the smallest prison cell available.

    2 10.53%
  • The paedophile should get a medium sized prison cell.

    1 5.26%
  • The paedophile should be allowed a large prison cell since he is going to prison for many years.

    0 0%
  • The paedophile should get lots of protection from other prisoners.

    0 0%
  • The paedophile should be treated the same as any other prisoner.

    6 31.58%
  • The paedophile should be treated badly because of his crime in comparison to other prisoners.

    0 0%
  • I donft think people are punished enough in general for their crimes in my country.

    5 26.32%
  • I think the justice system is fine/adequate for criminals in my country in general.

    0 0%
  • I think the justice system is maybe a bit to harsh in my country for criminals in general.

    0 0%
  • I think the justice system in my country is ok, but could be done better in general.

    4 21.05%
  • I think the justice system in my country is not good, and could be done better IMO.

    6 31.58%
  • I think the justice system in my country is often too harsh in general.

    2 10.53%
  • Otherc

    4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 104

Thread: Paedophiles, Justice and prison sentences...

  1. #76
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom





    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    This thread is officially dead do to participant ignorance...
    ...I had a long, polite explanation of the many mistakes and misconceptions being made here--but my computer reset and I don't feel like typing it again.
    Suffice to say that if you do not understand what the terms "pedophile" or "rape" actually mean, you should not be participating in a discussion about pedophiles and rape.
    The uninformed comments filling this thread remind me of another gem of sex-related internet ignorance:
    Some may find the comparison offensive...
    ...but then there's this:
    First off, all the things you refer to as "sexually interefering" are actually rape, rape is engaging in any sexual activity without the other person's consent--children are unable to give consent, so any sexual act involving a child is an act of rape.

    These are the definitions of "rape" and "paedophile" that i know of;

    "rape 1 Pronunciation (rp)
    n.
    1. The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
    2. The act of seizing and carrying off by force; abduction.
    3. Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.
    tr.v. raped, rap·ing, rapes
    1. To force (another person) to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse; commit rape on.
    2. To seize and carry off by force.
    3. To plunder or pillage."

    "Noun 1. paedophile - an adult who is sexually attracted to children"

    "Noun 1. paedophilia - sexual activity of an adult with a child"

    Alot of people consider rape as to having forceful sexual intercourse or sexual intercourse with somone without their consent only though, and not all the other acts that go with it, which is why i asked how KrazyKat personally defined rape.

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    In answer to you question, Tokis-Phoenix:
    I think we should feel sorry for them.
    I have a chance of having a loving, sexual relationship with my prefered type of partner--a pedophile can never have that, because the object of their desires is incapable of it.
    Their only choices are abstinance or rape, while we at least have hope of finding a willing parter. If they do give in to their desires and commit rape, then they are a rapist, and should be treated as such--but until they do they should have our profound sympathy.
    As for what should be done with a rapist, I really don't know. Prison is not a deterrant for emotion-driven crimes--nothing is. For a deterrant to work you have to logically consider the consequences just before going through with your crime, and someone who loses control of their emotions is not in a logical state.
    Be it murder, rape, or some other kind of assault, these crimes are not usually committed from a logical, sane frame of mind.
    Psychiatric care would seem to be the best option currently available, but I have doubts as to it's effectiveness. If this was pursued, however, it would be important to distingush between correcting a rapists lack of self control and "correcting" their sexual preferences.
    I agree its wrong to "change" people, but raping children is none the less very wrong too, and thus i think people should do everything they can to supress such urges- you cannot change somones sexuality, you can though help them deal with it. In any society you go to, there will always be laws or negative feelings towards the subject of raping/having sex with children on the whole.

    I feel sorry for somone who feels sexually attracted to children and cannot help it, but i would never feel sorry for somone who acts on those feelings- such actions not only often physically injure the victum but also seriously mentally scars the victum for their entire life. Sympathising for paedophiles who have committed crimes(as this is what this thread originally started out as with a specific example at the start), i think is completely out of the question.
    Do i sympathise for the man who rapes a woman because he cannot get laid? No.
    Do i sympathise for the cannibal who murders and eats somone because they cannot get human meat legally and freely? no.
    Do i sympathise for the paedophile who rapes a 6 yr old child because no 6 yr old child in their right mind would consent to somthing like that? No.
    I sympathise for these people that they have such conditions, but i do not symthasie for them when they cross the line i.e. do somthing so horrific and illegal.

    I do believe prison is a deterrant for "emotion-driven crimes" as you put it, as if prison did not exist most people would cross those lines in an instant that they had so struggled not to cross before because of the consequences. Do you honestly believe that if we didn't have prison, that crime rates would be pretty much the same?


    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    As for the child pornography argument...
    1) It's not that easy to get. Believe me, I've tried. When I first began puberty I became very interested in sex but did not want to see pornography of people almost a decade older than me, so I tried very hard to find materials involving people of my own age group.
    I honestly wouldn't know how difficult it is to get hold of child porn, but if you look at glitters case you will note he managed to find thousands of it;

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/517604.stm

  2. #77
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    ...eh, nevermind--this topic's a loss...
    No need to edit all that post, i found it very interesting.I will take your tiredness into account though if you prefer.

  3. #78
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    KrazyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-01-06
    Location
    England
    Age
    33
    Posts
    47


    Country: United Kingdom



    Yay, this is actually what I wanted to discuss. And it seems someone can do it in a civilised manner too.

    I was including all sexual acts when I said rape. I belive this is the definition of rape. dictionary.com
    "The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse."

    I haven't really covered child porn, although I beleive that I breifly denounced it above. The child porn industry leaves a child victim behind and so is completely unjustified. However written stories and drawn pictures are a different story. I would consider these to be acceptable as long as they do more to satisfy the paedophiles sex drive, than encourage them to rape children. Although I don't know which way it is in reality.

    I feel I need to bring up two more points.
    1)We don't know if someone is a paedophile before they commit a crime anyway, so we can't lock them up beforehand.
    2)If people could come out, at least to medical proffesionals, as being a paedophile, without being locked away, they may be able to get help and more child rape cases could be avoided.

  4. #79
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Hopefully this thread is getting back on track now. To avoid further confusion, let's assume these definitions from now on:

    Paedophile An adult who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children, although s/he may not have acted on those feelings and has therefore committed no crime

    Paedophile rapist An adult who has had sexual relations with a pre-pubescent child and is therefore guilty of sexual abuse of a minor
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat
    1)We don't know if someone is a paedophile before they commit a crime anyway, so we can't lock them up beforehand.
    2)If people could come out, at least to medical proffesionals, as being a paedophile, without being locked away, they may be able to get help and more child rape cases could be avoided.
    I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, I think that the outrage that people feel against paedophiles makes it unlikely that many would seek help.

  5. #80
    Hachiro
    Guest


    I feel I need to bring up two more points.
    1)We don't know if someone is a paedophile before they commit a crime anyway, so we can't lock them up beforehand.
    2)If people could come out, at least to medical proffesionals, as being a paedophile, without being locked away, they may be able to get help and more child rape cases could be avoided.
    If wishes were horses and grass were free......

    To make myself very clear here, I understand the reasoning and thought pattern behind these statements. I also agree that it would be nice if we lived in a Utopian world where this could happen, yet for arguments purposes
    I submit the following statements and questions in reply to this....


    This question is to the first sentence, So the supposition that could be made is that you are saying that if you knew about the crime going to be committed ahead of time you would lock up the pedophile, right? Would you make the same supposition about people who commit other similar crimes?

    Now this discussion goes into the twilight zone,
    This is to the (2nd) statement; They are facts that's true, and I am willing to suppose that the majority of the population would agree with you as well. Why do you believe that a pedophile would "come out" on their own?

    Why do you or why would anyone presume to assume that pedophiles view themselves as being "sick" and therefore neccessary for them to seek treatment. Many people that are institutionalized see no reason for their being there. They don't consider themselves to be sick.

    I useThe following analogies for comparison purposes only, not to inflame To equate them with having a mental illness would be like saying that gay and lesbians need to seek professional help as well because it is not a normal behaviour. There are many in society that view these to be "behaviours" and not lifestyle choices. Or for that matter like here in Japan, many men thinking that a unmarried woman is not "natural" or "normal", that women should be married and having children, not working and being a viable part of society. Some would argue that this too is a type of "mental illness", that by choice of lifestyle there is something wrong with them.

    Hopefully this thread is getting back on track now. To avoid further confusion, let's assume these definitions from now on:
    First if KrazyKat had not made ambigious posts there would have been no problem in the first place, I believe, IMO that some of her comments come from her youth, which is not a bad thing, dont go and misunderstand that as well.
    Last edited by Hachiro; 14-03-06 at 01:51.

  6. #81
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    KrazyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-01-06
    Location
    England
    Age
    33
    Posts
    47


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    Unfortunately, I think that the outrage that people feel against paedophiles makes it unlikely that many would seek help.
    I agree. Thats why I feel that paedophiles should be able to recieve support, so that they don't act on thier attraction to children, knowing that they wouldn't be hated or seen as sick for it. However this would require people to become less prejudiced, which is never an easy thing for them to do.

  7. #82
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat
    . Thats why I feel that paedophiles should be able to recieve support, so that they don't act on thier attraction to children, knowing that they wouldn't be hated or seen as sick for it. However this would require people to become less prejudiced, which is never an easy thing for them to do..
    Firstly who is the "them"? People in general like you and me? You are of course entitled to your opinion and I respect that, yet society is not that forgiving and imo shouldn't need to be either.

    If you are saying that society needs to be less prejudiced against pedophiles than I heartly disagree with you on that. IMO society should laws that make the death penalty mandatory for ANY convicted pedophile, that would be a great deterrent.

    Pedophilia is a crime. Just as rape is a crime. Pedophiles should be treated in the same manner as any other criminal. Would you want society to be less prejudiced towards rapists as well seeing as how both pedophiles and rapists commit the same crimes, yet the pedophile's crime is even more henious because it is acted out upon the weakest members of society, children?

    Would you give special treatment to one class of rapist and not another?

    Just to let you know that since you bypassed answering my direct questions to a previous post of yours on this thread, if I disagree or agree with any of your posts or want to comment the gloves are going to come off now.

  8. #83
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    KrazyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-01-06
    Location
    England
    Age
    33
    Posts
    47


    Country: United Kingdom



    First of all I refer you to Tsuoiko's post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoiko
    Hopefully this thread is getting back on track now. To avoid further confusion, let's assume these definitions from now on:
    Paedophile An adult who is sexually attracted to pre-pubescent children, although s/he may not have acted on those feelings and has therefore committed no crime
    Paedophile rapist An adult who has had sexual relations with a pre-pubescent child and is therefore guilty of sexual abuse of a minor
    Note that I said paedohiple, not paedohile rapist or anything to imply that they may have comitted a crime. I even said 'so that they don't act on thier attraction to children' which, if anything, implies that they haven't yet comitted a crime.

    I have made a my position very clear on how I think people who who haven't comitted crimes should be treated. 'knowing the crime was going to be commited before hand' would mean being able to read the future. What is interesting however is at what point it would be appropriate to arrest someone before they commit the crime. To take the example of stealing that I have used before would it be when they begin to think it might be a good idea to steal? When they start acting plans to steal something, but don't commit any crimes in the process? Or when they actually try to steal it or break the law in any way?

    I'm not sure but personally I don't think someone should be guility until they actually break the law, not if they just intend to, and for this purpose making plans to break the law (conspiracy etc) should itself be illegal and I think it already is.

    I also never said that paedophiles have a mental ilness. I do however think that medical professionals are probably in the best position to help them. Someone doesn't have to actually be insane to see a counselor or a therapist, and I never implied that they do.

  9. #84
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    If you are saying that society needs to be less prejudiced against pedophiles than I heartly disagree with you on that. IMO society should laws that make the death penalty mandatory for ANY convicted pedophile, that would be a great deterrent.
    Pedophilia is a crime.
    Hachiro - I understand that you feel strongly about this issue. But I think you are using the word 'paedophile' to mean someone who has raped a child. That isn't necessarily the case. I think you and KrazyKat agree on almost everything - except that when she says 'paedophile' she means someone who is attracted to children. That is not a crime until it is acted upon - so a paedophile is not necessarily a criminal. KrazyKat certainly does not advocate tolerance of convicted paedophile rapists - she is only suggesting that we are unprejudiced enough to allow a paedophile to come forward and seek help before s/he commits a crime. I think we all agree that once a crime has been committed the consequences for the rapist must be severe.

    Edit: Sorry KK, I was posting at the same time as you.

  10. #85
    Hachiro
    Guest


    You know what, probably only this message board makes a distinction between the the one who has and the one who hasn't. Society makes NO distinction between them, none at all, they are one and the same.
    Tsuyoiko I'm sorry but I don't agree with your supposition that there is a difference, you are attempting to draw a line where noone will be able to see it. Until a pedophile is diagnosed as such by a mental health professional there is no way to know either way what they are or are not, unless of course they have commited a sex related crime.

    she is only suggesting that we are unprejudiced enough to allow a paedophile to come forward and seek help before s/he commits a crime. I think we all agree that once a crime has been committed the consequences for the rapist must be severe.
    I know what she is suggesting and here is a further reply to that,

    Many people have fantasies about raping people, or abusing them during sex, that could be considered criminal, I think you will agree with that.

    Are you suggesting as well that all these people should be called something like "Raper" because they haven't actually carried out the crime of rape but need mental health attention. Oh yes and if they commit the crime of rape then then are called rapists?

    To use KrazyKat's logic ithen in all actuality all "rapists" in the world were only guilty until they committed the crime of rape, but previous to that if society would have been less prejudiced towards them they should have been able to come forward and seek mental health assistance. I dont think so.

  11. #86
    Hachiro
    Guest


    I also never said that paedophiles have a mental ilness. I do however think that medical professionals are probably in the best position to help them. Someone doesn't have to actually be insane to see a counselor or a therapist, and I never implied that they do.
    Good lord, open your eyes, you dont have to say it, but a mental health professional is the only doctor that is going to be able diagnose a patient with a mental health disease.

    By saying this, you come across as if a pedophilac could go see the doctor like he would for a "tummy ache" and get some medicine to "cure' himself of the illness.

  12. #87
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Reiku's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-08-04
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    138


    Country: United_States



    Like I said, the topic's a loss...

    ...people don't listen when it comes to issues this emotionally charged, they don't hear what you say--just that you're disagreeing with them.

    All we're doing here is stating our personal opinions over and over again--and half the time we aren't even talking about the same thing.

    I'm sorry my post got quoted before I removed it. I realized as soon as I hit post that I was just speaking out of anger, and that it wasn't going to do any good...

    ...seems I was right considering my post about pedophiles who don't rape children was responded to with a litany of reasons why pedophiles who do should be locked up.

    For the record:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokis-Phoenix
    I do believe prison is a deterrant for "emotion-driven crimes" as you put it, as if prison did not exist most people would cross those lines in an instant that they had so struggled not to cross before because of the consequences. Do you honestly believe that if we didn't have prison, that crime rates would be pretty much the same?
    No, the crime rate would be much lower.

    First, even if we assume that prison is a deterrant for emotion-driven crimes, the lack of prisons woud provide an even stronger deterrant:

    Fear of being murdered by an angry lynchmob.

    While it's true that many child molesters are killed in prison, they'd be in far more danger if the kid's family didn't have to worry about going to prison for killing them.

    While certainly not a system I'd want to live in, you can't deny that fear of a lynchmob appeals to the self-preservation instinct far more than fear of having armed gaurds and fortified defenses between you and that mob.

    Secondly, prison is a punishment--not a means of behavioral correction.

    I know they call them "Correctional Facilities", but hey, I guess some people see George Orwell's "1984" as a strategy guide intead of a cautionary tale.

    I could write a book on the many reasons why locking a person up and forcing them to live with multitudes of people who weren't able to funcion in society is a bad idea--but I don't like dwelling on my past, so I won't bother outlining it here either.

    If you can't figure out why a prison environment makes people more prone to criminal behavior, then I doubt you've ever really thought about what being incarceated is like...

    ...and how can you advocate putting anyone in a stuation you don't clearly understand?
    Baka ningen.

  13. #88
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    KrazyKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    16-01-06
    Location
    England
    Age
    33
    Posts
    47


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    Like I said, the topic's a loss...
    ...people don't listen when it comes to issues this emotionally charged, they don't hear what you say--just that you're disagreeing with them.
    All we're doing here is stating our personal opinions over and over again--and half the time we aren't even talking about the same thing.
    I agree. I quit. Any reply I make now to the parts of Haciro's posts would just be repeating things that I have already said. Briefly though, fantasies are not a crime, rape is. People are only guilty after commiting a crime. Therapists are probably the only people that can help paedophiles live with and control themselves, if they want help they should be able to get it and we should encourage this. People with rape fantasies should also be able to get therapy.

  14. #89
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Reiku's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-08-04
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    138


    Country: United_States



    Or just watch a lot of hentai.

    God knows watching DBZ did wonders for my anger control issues...

  15. #90
    The Wise Idiot Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    06-02-05
    Location
    In the land of twilight under the moon.
    Posts
    78


    Ethnic group
    I have no idea.
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    God knows watching DBZ did wonders for my anger control issues...
    Amen to that.
    Please support the AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse

    "Don't just do something, sit there!"

    "Only a madman can handle the truth."

    Everybody Polka! http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=T...=anime%20polka

  16. #91
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Reiku's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-08-04
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    138


    Country: United_States



    Playing Bushido Blade 2 helped also...

  17. #92
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    Like I said, the topic's a loss...
    ...people don't listen when it comes to issues this emotionally charged, they don't hear what you say--just that you're disagreeing with them.
    All we're doing here is stating our personal opinions over and over again--and half the time we aren't even talking about the same thing.
    I'm sorry my post got quoted before I removed it. I realized as soon as I hit post that I was just speaking out of anger, and that it wasn't going to do any good...
    ...seems I was right considering my post about pedophiles who don't rape children was responded to with a litany of reasons why pedophiles who do should be locked up.
    For the record:
    No, the crime rate would be much lower.
    First, even if we assume that prison is a deterrant for emotion-driven crimes, the lack of prisons woud provide an even stronger deterrant:
    Fear of being murdered by an angry lynchmob.
    While it's true that many child molesters are killed in prison, they'd be in far more danger if the kid's family didn't have to worry about going to prison for killing them.
    While certainly not a system I'd want to live in, you can't deny that fear of a lynchmob appeals to the self-preservation instinct far more than fear of having armed gaurds and fortified defenses between you and that mob.
    Secondly, prison is a punishment--not a means of behavioral correction.
    I know they call them "Correctional Facilities", but hey, I guess some people see George Orwell's "1984" as a strategy guide intead of a cautionary tale.
    I could write a book on the many reasons why locking a person up and forcing them to live with multitudes of people who weren't able to funcion in society is a bad idea--but I don't like dwelling on my past, so I won't bother outlining it here either.
    If you can't figure out why a prison environment makes people more prone to criminal behavior, then I doubt you've ever really thought about what being incarceated is like...
    ...and how can you advocate putting anyone in a stuation you don't clearly understand?


    I'm sorry but can you describe your logic on how a lack of prisons would lower crime rates? On one hand you say people should be more open minded about paedophiles and on the other hand you say angry lynchmobs would be better at controlling crime?
    You may not have had a good prison experience but then again thats an off-topic matter for there are good prisons as well as bad ones and as far as i know your experience was not related to children and stuff. But i can say while we are on this subject that prison can work though, i had a friend once(well, the sort of person you just get along with for the sake of it at least), who was always going on about all the people he'd beaten up or the cars he'd stolen. He'd been banned from driving so many times due to drinking offences and not having a license etc- anyways, he got sent to prison for 3months eventually and when he came back he was much better- he'd grown up/matured a huge ammount, he told me that he really needed somone to just put their foot down on his behavior and overall he was glad that he got punished for it. So despite your one-off prison experience, i don't see it as a good reason to damn the whole system.

    And how exactly do you define "emotion-driven crime" since we are using this phrase a lot? Somone who murders somone in a fit of rage, a paedophile who cannot control his life long urges to have sex with a child, a women who becomes addicted to stealing because of her emotional insecurity etc? These are all very different things you see that could go under the catagory of emotion-driven crime.

    Prison is there for punishment. I don't imply it is there for other reasons. It is not there to cure people of their issues. Psychologists and docters are there for doing those things, but you cannot force everyone to abide by them and be cured- people have to ask for those things if they want it, as im sure if the government forced people to go to rehab there would be much disagreement and controversy from the general public even if it was in the peoples best interests.

    But are we talking about justice, cure or punishment here?
    What about the victums family of their 6yr child who was raped?

  18. #93
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKat
    I agree. I quit. Any reply I make now to the parts of Haciro's posts would just be repeating things that I have already said. Briefly though, fantasies are not a crime, rape is. People are only guilty after commiting a crime. Therapists are probably the only people that can help paedophiles live with and control themselves, if they want help they should be able to get it and we should encourage this. People with rape fantasies should also be able to get therapy.
    Just because you do not agree with Hachiro's point of view does not mean "the thread is a loss", this is a debate after all about sharing your viewpoints or opinions on the subject and not a war about trying to convert as many people as posible to your way of thinking- please be respectful of each others opinions or way of thinking/points of view.

  19. #94
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Prison is there for punishment. I don't imply it is there for other reasons. It is not there to cure people of their issues. Psychologists and docters are there for doing those things, but you cannot force everyone to abide by them and be cured- people have to ask for those things if they want it, as im sure if the government forced people to go to rehab there would be much disagreement and controversy from the general public even if it was in the peoples best interests.

    But are we talking about justice, cure or punishment here?
    What about the victums family of their 6yr child who was raped?
    I agree that prison is there for punishment, yet it is also there to protect society from criminal's

    There are different "levels" of prisons as well, some for more hardened criminals and some for those that committed "white" collar crimes.
    Maybe it is time that the system set up a prison system specifically for sex crime offenders to include pedophiles.

    I am not so naive to think that society will execute all pedophiles convicted of their crimes, so there does need to be a location that they can go to that the system will keep them all locked up for the time that the court has deemed appropriate for their sentence. Whilst there they should be forced to work for their keep and also forced to work to pay any compensation to the victim or their families. If they choose not to work then the system should not be forced to look after them either. Let them die of starvation if necessary. There is much to be said of the "chain-gangs" of yesteryear, at least at that time people "re-paid" their debt to society for crimes committed.
    That may be hard line to many people, yet it also acts as a deterrent to others that would follow in their footsteps.

    IMO, rehabilitation for serious criminals, such as pedophiles, is a fantasy and is the same as asking a zebra to change the color of their stripes. Ain't gonna happen.

    Oh yes, there is no compensation that anyone can give to the victim or family of a 6yr old child that has been raped or possibly murdered by a pedophile. If the child lives through the experience they will be scared for life, and I think the only thing that can give the family and or victim peace of mind is knowing that the perpetrator of the crime is locked away forever or had been sent to the gas chamber, (or other appropriate way of execution).
    There will always be the lingering fear that it could happen again, if the perp' was ever released.

    I choose not to feel any sympathy, for pedophiles, in any way shape or form. I have VERY strong reasons for feeling as I do, and they are justified as well.

  20. #95
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Quote Originally Posted by Tokis-Phoenix
    Just because you do not agree with Hachiro's point of view does not mean "the thread is a loss", this is a debate after all about sharing your viewpoints or opinions on the subject and not a war about trying to convert as many people as posible to your way of thinking- please be respectful of each others opinions or way of thinking/points of view.
    I agree with you here as well Tokis, I also stated in a previous post that I respect KrazyKat's opinions as well. I just don't agree with her ambiguity.

  21. #96
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tokis-Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-09-05
    Location
    England, Somerset
    Age
    34
    Posts
    290


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    I agree that prison is there for punishment, yet it is also there to protect society from criminal's
    There are different "levels" of prisons as well, some for more hardened criminals and some for those that committed "white" collar crimes.
    Maybe it is time that the system set up a prison system specifically for sex crime offenders to include pedophiles.
    I am not so naive to think that society will execute all pedophiles convicted of their crimes, so there does need to be a location that they can go to that the system will keep them all locked up for the time that the court has deemed appropriate for their sentence. Whilst there they should be forced to work for their keep and also forced to work to pay any compensation to the victim or their families. If they choose not to work then the system should not be forced to look after them either. Let them die of starvation if necessary. There is much to be said of the "chain-gangs" of yesteryear, at least at that time people "re-paid" their debt to society for crimes committed.
    That may be hard line to many people, yet it also acts as a deterrent to others that would follow in their footsteps.
    IMO, rehabilitation for serious criminals, such as pedophiles, is a fantasy and is the same as asking a zebra to change the color of their stripes. Ain't gonna happen.
    Oh yes, there is no compensation that anyone can give to the victim or family of a 6yr old child that has been raped or possibly murdered by a pedophile. If the child lives through the experience they will be scared for life, and I think the only thing that can give the family and or victim peace of mind is knowing that the perpetrator of the crime is locked away forever or had been sent to the gas chamber, (or other appropriate way of execution).
    There will always be the lingering fear that it could happen again, if the perp' was ever released.
    I choose not to feel any sympathy, for pedophiles, in any way shape or form. I have VERY strong reasons for feeling as I do, and they are justified as well.

    I agree prison also has its uses for keeping criminals off the streets like serial killers and rapists etc- after all, without prison these people would be walking freely in a neighborhood/town near you. This is where prison sentences come in though, as in how long you keep these people off the streets after they have been caught for their crimes.
    Here are some examples where i believe the sentence was not harsh enough;

    A paedophile who raped his niece when she was just nine years old is jailed for 12 years;

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4446680.stm

    A paedophile who abducted a 12-year-old boy from Staffordshire and subjected him to a sexual assault in his car has been jailed for seven years;

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/4632128.stm

    A 60-year-old paedophile drug addict who gave an eight-year-old girl crack cocaine in order to sexually abuse her is jailed for five years;

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4479404.stm

    A former headmaster of a Londonderry primary school who admitted a series of sex offences against three teenage boys has been sentenced to four years.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4495131.stm

    .... .... .....These people will be out given just some years.
    You cannot repair the damage done to the victums but i do believe the sentence given to the paedophile effects things greatly, these sentences though i would feel only add insult to injury. What do you think?

  22. #97
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Here is some information that I found, rather depressing if you ask me, and also makes me wonder what good counselling is going to do to improve the situation. The average number of molestations is particularly henious...

    ....to increase the mandatory minimum sentence from two years to four years for sexual assault on a victim under the age of 16 if the offender is three or more years older than the victim or if the offender inflicts bodily injury upon anyone in course of committing the sexual assault. The intent is to keep pedophiles off the streets, out of our homes, and away from our children. Sixty percent of child rapists are on parole.
    1. Almost 95 percent of victims know their perpetrators.
    2. The medium age of victims is 13 years.
    3. Half of the rape victims in the United States are under the age of 18.
    4. Girls are sexually abused three times more than boys.
    5. Approximately 13 percent of women in state prison say that they have been sexually abused as children.
    6. Ninety-five percent of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused prior to prostitution.
    7. The typical child-sex offender molests an average of 117 children and most of these instances are never reported to law enforcement.
    That information is from a "google" that I did and refers to a requested change in law for one state in the US. Going to have to do a bit more research now about sentences.

  23. #98
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Reiku's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-08-04
    Location
    Pismo Beach, CA
    Posts
    138


    Country: United_States



    What site did you get it from?

    I know you said you googled it, but that doesn't tell us much...

    One thing I'd like to point out though, is that some of those statistics seem too vauge too be believable.

    95% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused prior to prostitution?

    That sounds reasonable, but where did they get their information?

    Am I actually expected to believe that whoever compiled these statistics was able to identify 95% of all teenage prostitutes and get this information about them?

    For that matter, what do they mean by 95% of all teenage prostitutes?

    Worldwide?

    In the US?

    Just this one town in Iowa somewhere?

    It's misleading.

  24. #99
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Quote Originally Posted by Reiku
    What site did you get it from?

    I know you said you googled it, but that doesn't tell us much...

    One thing I'd like to point out though, is that some of those statistics seem too vauge too be believable.

    95% of teenage prostitutes have been sexually abused prior to prostitution?

    That sounds reasonable, but where did they get their information?

    Am I actually expected to believe that whoever compiled these statistics was able to identify 95% of all teenage prostitutes and get this information about them?

    For that matter, what do they mean by 95% of all teenage prostitutes?

    Worldwide?

    In the US?

    Just this one town in Iowa somewhere?

    It's misleading.
    Not Iowa but in Montana of all places, like I wrote it is for one state, the information comes from this site. Like I also wrote before I need to do more research to get better information. I also agree with you that it could be misleading....sorry about that.

    http://http://72.14.203.104/search?q...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

  25. #100
    Hachiro
    Guest


    Here is more that may be a bit more accurate for information from the USA.

    Convicted rape and sexual assault offenders serving time in State prisons report that two-thirds of their victims were under the age of 18, and 58% of those--or nearly 4 in 10 imprisoned violent sex offenders--said their victims were aged 12 or younger.

    In 90% of the rapes of children less than 12 years old, the child knew the offender, according to police-recorded incident data.
    from
    http://pedophilehunter.iblog.com/ind...articleId=5121

    http://www.glgarden.org/ppp/statistics.html

    Kevin Bishop, an admitted pederast (pedophile), is promoting the work of the North American /Man-Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) in South Africa. Bishop, who was molested at the age of six, is also an admitted homosexual who is blunt about the relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia. "Scratch the average homosexual and you will find a pedophile," said Bishop in an interview with the Electronic Mail & Guardian (June 30, 1997).1 (1. Angella Johnson, gThe man who loves to love boys,h Electronic Mail & Guardian, June 30, 1997, http://www.mg.co.za/mg.)
    153 pederasts had sexually molested 22,981 boys over an average period of 22 years.

    224 pedophiles had molested 4,435 girls over an average period of 18 years.

    The average pederast molested an average of 150 boys, and each heterosexual pedophile molested an average of 20 girls, a ratio of 7.5 to one. 12 (12. Dr. Paul Cameron, gHomosexual Molestation of Children/Sexual Interaction of Teacher and Pupil,h Psychological Reports 57 (1985): 1227-1236.)
    from
    http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils...statistics.htm

    I know that one of these sites is religiously based, but the facts contained are frightening to say the least.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MAOA-L : Warrior Gene or Justice Gene ?
    By Maciamo in forum Medical & Psychological Genetics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-03-18, 04:26
  2. Sensible Justice
    By bossel in forum World News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-02-06, 15:08
  3. A Different Prison System.
    By Revenant in forum Opinions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-01-06, 01:53
  4. Stewart Sentenced to 5 Months in Prison
    By Hachiko in forum World News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-07-04, 13:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •