Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Musketeers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other group of warriors

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters
One of the things i like about ghengis khan empire though, unlike so many nations or empires throughout ancient/old history, is that he was very open-minded about other religeons, and unlike such people like the romans or western knights, every time he conquered a country he let them carry on their own beliefs about religeon rather than massacre anyone who didn't conform to his way of thinking. He increased trade throughout all the countrys he conquered and open up trade between countries where there was no trade before, his people led very prosperous lives during his age, he brought the people together and stopped the fighting that was tearing his homeland mongolia apart, he enforced the morality of and emphasis on loyality and honesty and judged people for who they were rather than what familys or powerful people they were connected too.
Many of his generals were not people appointed to him because they had good conections or came from a noble family or whatever, but rather because they had showed loyality and respect towards him. His people were loyal to him because of this, and he treated people very fairly as long as they showed loyality to him- and they never broke his trust.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
One of the things i like about ghengis khan empire though, unlike so many nations or empires throughout ancient/old history, is that he was very open-minded about other religeons, and unlike such people like the romans or western knights, every time he conquered a country he let them carry on their own beliefs about religeon rather than massacre anyone who didn't conform to his way of thinking. He increased trade throughout all the countrys he conquered and open up trade between countries where there was no trade before, his people led very prosperous lives during his age, he brought the people together and stopped the fighting that was tearing his homeland mongolia apart, he enforced the morality of and emphasis on loyality and honesty and judged people for who they were rather than what familys or powerful people they were connected too.
Many of his generals were not people appointed to him because they had good conections or came from a noble family or whatever, but rather because they had showed loyality and respect towards him. His people were loyal to him because of this, and he treated people very fairly as long as they showed loyality to him- and they never broke his trust.

QUOTED FOR EMPHASIS!

I admire Genghis Khan's perspective on the definitions of loyalty and treason.
Genghis Khan values geniune loyalty in any soldier even on his enemies' sides. And he wouldn't trust especially those who sell his enemies to him. I think he's right. If a soldier can sell his leader to you, then he can sell you to your enemy, too. Traitors have no loyalty to anyone except themselves. How can you trust somebody who always switches sides even though he has changed from your enemies' side to your side?

The paragraph below is from http://www.leader-values.com/Content/detail.asp?ContentDetailID=799

He recognized the values of his individual enemies. He would put to death a soldier who had tried to be disloyal to their own commander, by, for example, betraying the commander to Genghis. However, he would pardon and even bestow honours and responsibility on those who had fought loyally for their commander - even if against Genghis. In fact one of his most trusted generals, Jebe, was once a young opposing soldier who shot Genghis' horse from under him in battle.

My Choices are:
#1 Samurai & Ninja
#2 Mongols/Huns
#3 Chinese
#4 Scottish Highlanders/Celts
#5 Viking/Teutonic/Medival Knights
#6Roman Gladiators

Vikings of course. Who invaded England? vikings did :D
They wasn't about nobelty or shivalry and they were nordic

Tokis-Phoenix said:
The whole fighting for freedom thing is mainly a hollywood notion, the vast majority of gladiators had no hope of suvival let alone freedom, it was mostly just an equivilant to a death sentence in the name of entertainment. Most were just poor people, beggers or petty criminals/thieves dragged off the streets because they often had shortages of real criminals. You also have to remember that hundreds of thousands of christians were massacred in the arena for their beliefs along with many other people of other religeons. Many of the so-called barbarians the romans were fighting were disgusted at a lot of what went on in the roman arena's ironically. You have to remember though this is not a thread about great nations/empires but rather warriors.

Yeah, I thought so, I wasn't sure about the freedom thing. But I still think they were good warriors. Yes, it is barbaric, but that doesn't take away their so called warrior skill. Although I don't think they can be compared to the samurai.
Well, what I meant by the Roman Empire was that I think that they had good warriors. They had a great leader, Julius Caesar, which made them great warriors (boosted their moral), they had good training. So Im not talking about a nation, or empire, but more like the entire group of fighters within the empire were good warriors. So, I didn't go off topic there.

Top 5 from the list provided would be;

1. Mongols
2. Roman Gladiators
3. European Knights
4. French Musketeers
5. Japanese Samurai And Ninjas

Mongols would very much be at the top, no warrior had as superior tactics, mobility, and bow strength.

Roman Gladiators would probably come next. They compete so competition creates powerful things. Warriors being no exception.

European Knights would come next. They has some of the best armor in history and were highly trained warriors.

The French Musketeers aren't to be underestimated. Their skills with the rapier are so quick that many fighters would have a very tough time with them.

The Japanese are number 5 obviously because of their strong warrior ethics and discipline. Ninjas are even more deadly with the greatest stealth in the world.

All other warriors follow closely behind.

"Wars not make one great."

Yoda

A single batallion of todays trained and equiped US Marines could wipe any of those guys out in a matter of days. Technology rocks. Mongolian calvary vs.
Abrams tanks--- I think the taks will win.

I would say for inovative reasons ninjas were to be admired. Studying how people sleep they would notice fake patterns, techniques to walk on rice paper, hunger and thirst pills, fakin their own death...using candle light to dialate their pupils for better vision... wearin dark blue and red clothing so they would absorb the night light.. poisened tip throw weapons... for innovation they get my vote. Janissaries were also quite good. The backbone of the Ottoman empire. Trained since childhood to be warriors. The greatest warriors are those who don't have to fight in my view

Ninjas technically speaking aren't warriors. They didn't fight wars at all.

My Choices are: Mongols, Huns, Janissaries and Serbs (Hajduci, Uskoci, trcepozivci) - Greatest warriors in history!

A difficult one in so many different ways; it all seems to depend upon what you define as a warrior.

I finally decided upon pure courage and determination as a yardstick ... and may well be held to task for my choice(s); but I have two:

i) The International Brigaders sent into Madrid in 1936/37, during the Spanish Civil War.

Essentially totally untrained volunteers (about two weeks basic training, max. - often without arms) of diverse nationality (but at that time, mostly German with a few French and English thrown in ...) - these guys were civilian volunteers who were thrown into a front line, held it, repelled it and managed to create a situation where Fascist forces were held at bay for almost three years.

ii) The United States Marines - WWII, Pacific Theatre.

OK - you may laugh! But these guys were mostly fresh out of the States, well trained (?) but inexperienced, and thrown into one of the most barbaric wars of modern history with no-holds-barred, and against a strong and mst determined enemy; they seem to have done a half-assed good job of it from what I see!

I don't think you have to go back into antiquity for courage - although - I wouldn't have wanted to be at Agincourt, either!

?W????

Hehe.... I most agree with monstar. Vikings are the best. It was only a sunday expedition when they invaded England. And everytme the Romans tried to conquer the Vikings. The romans got their ass kicked. :happy: :yeahh:

The Spartans were the best fighting force of their time, in my opinion. I have a few, so I'll make a list.
  1. Spartans
  2. Samurai
  3. Knights
  4. Vikings!!!

Ancronym Abuse Association, lol

Well, Ive been doing some reading and studying lately

Im have decided to revise my choices

1) Samurai & Ninja
2) Monguls
3) European Knights
4) All Others

I like the samurai for their discipline, kinda reminds me of the USMC, and the Ninjas for their training in stealth and covert operations like the CIA.

Mongols were by far the most successful armed calvary soldiers, so they are definitely a force to be reckoned with at any meeting.

European Knights because they brought back many things that they learned from culture exchange during the time between Crusade fighting.

great warriors

Who do you think are the greatest warriors in history? I can't decide which group of warriors are the best, since each group has their own strengths, weaknesses, codes of honor, tactics, fighting skills and weapons.

I think I'll go for Samurai because they are skilled and ruthless fighters.

I'm not going to include soldiers from modern history because their new warfare is far more sophisticated.

just a reaction to the statement above:
winston churchill said that the filipino warrior is the greatest warrior. For with their fierce resistance it saved australia from the japanese and gave the allies enough time to prepare against the japanese. That all done with few modern weapons and with their bolos and sticks. There are documented skirmishes where a single eskrimador disarmed and killed several japanese soldiers and faced a katana weilding samurai officer, which he disarmed and killed with his kali stick, and many other war stories. It is also said that ( i havent seen the actual document/article) that Miyamoto Mushashi the greatest samurai was outclassed by a kali warrior. Being a warrior i think is different from being a soldier. warriors strive for individual glory or the glory of their warrior society, soldiers are DIFFERENT. For individual merit and prowess in combat, few if any can match a real master of Kali, and its practitioner the Filipino warrior.

filipino warriors

Who do you think are the greatest warriors in history? I can't decide which group of warriors are the best, since each group has their own strengths, weaknesses, codes of honor, tactics, fighting skills and weapons.

I think I'll go for Samurai because they are skilled and ruthless fighters.

I'm not going to include soldiers from modern history because their new warfare is far more sophisticated.

Read the Battle of Yultong/ Chosin Reservoir. ANd the Battalion Combat Teams of the Philippines in the korean war. WHere alone they faced 200,000 chinese soldiers when the line held by (Turks and an african Nation and americans? retreated)to their left and right broke. 8000 Filipino soldiers stood their ground and not only defending but counterattacking as well with devastating results. When a Gloucester Somrthing? unit of the English were surrounded, massive efforts were made to rescue the doomed english solders surrounded by a vast arrmy, Only filipino soldiers came closest within a mile, but sadly they were ordered back. all english soldiers persihed. there are great warriorsevery where

Oh wait I almost forgot about the War Elephants. Most civilizations that encountered the War Elephant (whether in India, Persia, or Carthage), were pretty much scared shitless until they and their comrades were gored all at once.

This thread has been viewed 200889 times.

Back