Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Vikings

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Musketeers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other group of warriors

Votes: 30 38.5%

• Total voters

I don’t know about the best, that would probably go to The Samurai who combined being warriors with so much more, but the prize for being hardest bastards would probably go to a Scottish lot.

I recall that there was a Scottish ‘lowland’ regiment made up mostly from people from Glasgow and surroundings who had the informal regimental slogan “Guns an’ weapons we don’ need, jus’ a razor … wheeest, ye’re deed”

This being based on the antics that the Glasgow street gangs got up to, and in some areas still do.

The Gurkhas would probably come a close second.

I know this is a long dead poll, but I felt a need to mention the Cantabrians. Their resistance towards the Romans seems like something that no modern historian could adequately summarize.

There were many, obviously. I would like to add the Lusitanians to the list. They resisted the Romans (for hundreds of years) and dealt them considerable military blows in Western Iberia.

A well seasoned, modern day US Navy Seal would give any warrior from any time period a run for his money, on land, under water, or freefalling out of an airplane. With or without just about any weapon, at any range from zero to 2000 meters.

A neat post. After much consideration, I went with Samurai.
I don't know if it would have caused a different answer from me, but I would have put in Roman Legionaries as opposed to gladiators.

If I were to add my own from the past, I would take the Greek hoplite.

<--------See?

xanthos-the capital city of likia (south anatolia)- warriors. they killed almost all of their women and children before their last war against persians (some says they commit suicide after killing their own families).

http://www.fethiyeyachting.com/jpg_files\xanthos.jpg
http://lexicorient.com/turkey/xanthos06.htm
http://www.antalyaburada.com/images/antalya/by/xanthos.jpg
http://www.pataraotel.com/FileUpload/ks71163/File/xanthos5.jpg
http://images.travelpod.com/users/lerouxsimard/2.1253285606.ru-305-nes-de-xanthos.jpg

Србски ратници-Serbian warriors

DSCN3950_2.154150535_std.JPG

Painting of the Serbian Double-Headed Eagle breaking Turkish shackles and chains,
a Rising Sun in background with Kosovo 1912

lazar.15491750_std.jpg

The choice Czar Lazar and his brave Serbian warriors made in the fateful battle of 1389 still help their descendants today make the right choices.

man_warriors1.272132245_std.jpeg

3 Holy Warriors Fresco

kosbitka3.302214401.jpg

This battle the Serbs lost physically, but because of the great heroism and extreme sacrifice for Serbian Heritage and Serbian Orthodox Faith, it is still one of Serbian History’s “greatest moments.” It was when the brave Serbian Christian warriors went into battle against overwhelming odds, choosing “eternal life in the Kingdom of Heaven” over life in the early kingdom.

Most of the persons named in this song were from old Serbian History, and more particularly, around the Battle of Kosovo Polje (Battle of the Field of Blackbirds). Against the Turkish army

We celebrate that day—with honor, pride and dignity-each year on June 28, Vidovdan.

Milos.272132116_std.JPG

serbia21.302213925.jpg

Milos Obilic was a great Serbian hero, who at Kosovo Polje went into the Turk’s own camp and killed the Turkish Czar Murat. He was an inspiration to Serbian warriors. Some of our mot beautiful songs are written about Milos Obilic and his heroic deeds. He is often cited as an example of fidelity and dedication based on his devotion to his ruler, the Serbian Czar Lazar. Our greatest Serbian poet, Petar II Petrovic-Njegos, Bishop of Crna Gora, placed Milos Obilic above all Kosovo warriors because of his heroic feats. Milos Obilic perished on the Kosovo Polje Battlefield.

images

Draza Mihajlovic (Mihailovich) was our beloved Serbian hero of World War II. Although given the opportunity to flee the country, he stayed and fought together with his brave followers against overwhelming enemies of the Serbs in the worst days in Serbian history. General Draza fought in the name of freedom and for a nation founded on democratic principles. He was praied by all democratic leaders and fighters of our times until he was deserted by those he helped. His followers, among many other brave deeds, save the lives of almost 600 American aviators, downed over Yugoslav territory. The communists deceitfully captured Draza in 1946 and without a proper trail, sentenced him to death. Be he lives and will live on in the hearts of the Serbian Chetniks and all freedom-loving Serbian people everywhere.

karadjordje.331192556.jpg

Karadjordjevic was another famous Serbian dynasty headed by Karadjordje. The head of the dynasty, Djordje Petrovic (Karadjordje), was a Serbian villager from Topola near Belgrade. He organized the first Serbian uprising against the Turks in 1804 and caused the Turks much trouble for almost ten years. Even Napoleon was amazed at this great feats against the Turks.

The upsrising was continued under the leadership of Prince Milos Obrenovich in 1815. Karadjordje was acclaimed in many Serbian songs as a great hero. His grandson was King Peter I, the Great Liberator, and his great grandson was King Alexander I, the Unifier, who was assassianted in Marseilles in 1934.

Serbian Emperor Dusan the Mighty
Srbija_car_dusan.GIF

ts

images

Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (Serbian Cyrillic: Стефан Урош IV Душан) (c. 1308 – 20 December 1355), called "the Mighty" (Serbian: Силни, Silni), was the King of Serbia (from 8 September 1331) and Emperor (Tsar) of the Serbs and Romans (from 16 April 1346). He enacted the constitution of the Serbian Empire in Dušan's Code, and under his rule Serbia reached its territorial, political and economic peak.
He is also the only ruler from the house of Nemanjić who has not been canonised as a saint. Dušan was also noted as a man of gigantic proportions. According to Papal ambassadors, he was the tallest man of his time, estimated at close to seven feet tall. His death in 1355 was a "catastrophe" for the Eastern Orthodox Church in the Balkans, since he ruled in the only Balkan state which was capable to stop the advance of the Ottoman Empire.[1] His Crown is presently kept at the Cetinje Monastery, in Montenegro.
Paja_Jovanovi%C4%87-Krunisanje_Cara_Du%C5%A1ana.jpg

The greatest warriors in history

The Spartans and Alexander the Great

Serbian Emperor Dusan the Mighty
Srbija_car_dusan.GIF

ts

images

Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (Serbian Cyrillic: Стефан Урош IV Душан) (c. 1308 – 20 December 1355), called "the Mighty" (Serbian: Силни, Silni), was the King of Serbia (from 8 September 1331) and Emperor (Tsar) of the Serbs and Romans (from 16 April 1346). He enacted the constitution of the Serbian Empire in Dušan's Code, and under his rule Serbia reached its territorial, political and economic peak.
He is also the only ruler from the house of Nemanjić who has not been canonised as a saint. Dušan was also noted as a man of gigantic proportions. According to Papal ambassadors, he was the tallest man of his time, estimated at close to seven feet tall. His death in 1355 was a "catastrophe" for the Eastern Orthodox Church in the Balkans, since he ruled in the only Balkan state which was capable to stop the advance of the Ottoman Empire.[1] His Crown is presently kept at the Cetinje Monastery, in Montenegro.
Paja_Jovanovi%C4%87-Krunisanje_Cara_Du%C5%A1ana.jpg
We find common ground here. I hold that Dushan untimely death was a major event that has been almost forgotten by time. Had he lived for a while longer, the Slavs of the Balkans would probably have either taken or married into the dynasty that ruled Constantinople.
Without going into a long explanation about the 'new life' being breathed into the otherwise dying empire or the likely result of greater resources resulting from the ensuing unification of the Balkans, I hold that the Ottomans would probably never taken the city if Dushan had lived.
I can think of very few 'what if' scenarios that would have had a greater change of resulting history than this.

I know this is a long dead poll, but I felt a need to mention the Cantabrians. Their resistance towards the Romans seems like something that no modern historian could adequately summarize.
The Romans still won in the end.:cool-v:

There were many, obviously. I would like to add the Lusitanians to the list. They resisted the Romans (for hundreds of years) and dealt them considerable military blows in Western Iberia.
Again, the Romans won in the end.:cool-v:

If taken all facts into account, the Mongols were the most efficient warriors.

Their tactics were very close to today's fighting standards.

Speed, mobility, light but strong armor.
(Silk under the armor to prevent bacterial or chemical exposure)
Their bows were the best ever made.
Genghis Khan used modern intelligence and communication techniques.

I am glad he didn't make it into Europe, or we would be talking Mongolian nowadays.

If taken all facts into account, the Mongols were the most efficient warriors.

I am glad he didn't make it into Europe, or we would be talking Mongolian nowadays.

:confused:

Define Europe or post a map of your Europe.

This thread has been viewed 200926 times.

Back