Question Smoking poll, do you smoke?

Please answer the options honestly :) .

• I smoke a lot i.e. 5 or more average every day or almost every day.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I smoke regularly, but not much i.e. 5 or less average every day or almost every day.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I smoke occasionally i.e. a couple of times a week or less.

• I smoke rarely or only a couple of times in my life.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I smoke, but have been smoking more recently.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I smoke, but have no idea of when or intentions of giving up yet.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I smoke, but have plans/intentions of giving it up at some point.

• I smoke, but have been cutting down recently.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I smoke, but I am trying to quit the habit currently.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I smoke, but have given up the habit or taken breaks from it in the past.

• I used to smoke but have quit the habit.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I don?ft smoke, but have considered taking up the habit in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don?ft smoke and have never considered taking it up.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • I don?ft smoke, but quite a few of my friends or family do.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I don?ft smoke and very few or none of my friends or family do.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I?fve smoked before in places where I shouldn?ft have.

• I?fve always smoked in places where it was allowed.

• I?fve smoked underage before.

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • I?fve smoked an illegal substance before in the past.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Other?c

• Total voters
Mycernius said:
The rest of Britian is following suit next year. I'm all for it. At least I can then go to a pub and not come out smelling like a cigarette. Good quote, Voices.
On a side note, Nicoteen falls into the class one poison catagory in the UK. The same as cyanide and arsenic. And animal by-products are also used in the manufacture of some cigarettes. So next time you see a vegetarian smoking you can ask them if their fags are animal friendly

What animal by products are used in some cigerettes? Never heard that one before :? .

When I was in college, one of my friends who was 19 was a smoker. He told us he had been smoking since he was 12. What he used to do in class (before the professor had come in to start the lecture) once in a while to get a laugh was: pinch his nose shut with his thumb and forefinger, take a deep breath -- hold his breath for about thirty seconds to build up pressure and then open his mouth to blow. It was disgusting -- a cloud of black dust particles would literaly come out of his mouth -- obviously pushed up from his lungs.

At first we thought he had just smoked and was holding it in his breath just before he came into the building. But, to show us he wasn`t, he`d do the same thing after the class ended which was a 90 minute class. Oh man! He said it didn`t matter how long he waited and that he could do this.

But, after that I did start paying attention to some of the coughing smokers did. And if I looked closely, I could see some black particle dusts coming out of them as well.

I guess it comes from smokers' lungs. Doesn`t sound attractive and looks even less so.

Left: Healthy lung Right: Smoker`s lung
drobson26a.jpg

Calabasas, CA just outlawed smoking in all public places including outside and in your car. We will have to see how it goes.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
What animal by products are used in some cigerettes? Never heard that one before :? .
Some of the chemicals used to combine the various crap that goes into cigarettes used refined animal fats. I know this as I used to work at a meat rendering factory years ago. We had a display of various products that used the finished products and one of them were cigarettes.

Mycernius said:
Some of the chemicals used to combine the various crap that goes into cigarettes used refined animal fats. I know this as I used to work at a meat rendering factory years ago. We had a display of various products that used the finished products and one of them were cigarettes.

What brand cigerettes were they can you remember :? ? I smoke Golden Virginia tobacco, and hand roll it into cigerettes(i gave up "normal cigerettes" as i wasn't happy about all the chemicals/crap they put into all the brands to preserve the tobacco and give flavor to it as it dries out very quickly in comparison to rolling tobacco due to how it is stored) its just plain tobacco and the rizla's/rolling paper is just plain old thin paper with tree gum glue to stick it together.

sabro said:
Calabasas, CA just outlawed smoking in all public places including outside and in your car. We will have to see how it goes.
In your car??? That's insane! :eek:kashii:
Sometimes I think about smoking more just a political statement. Smoking has been demonized WAY too much, in my opinion.
:smoke:

I don?ft smoke, but a lot of my family members do,:smoke: so I have been around second-hand smoking environment many moments of my life.

Well I have tried it once when I was 10? It was a left over of my father?fs cigarettes and I got caught red handed, and was punished by my action, and I have never attempted to try again afterwards.:auch:

I can't really remember the brands. Rolling tobacco is fine. It is used in cigarettes and a binding agent as most cigarettes are blends of tabacco not a single one. Rolling tobacco is usually just one type.

Hideki_Matsui_Beast said:
In your car??? That's insane! :eek:kashii:
Sometimes I think about smoking more just a political statement. Smoking has been demonized WAY too much, in my opinion.
:smoke:

"A ban on smoking in public places - including bars and restaurants - has come into effect in Scotland."

""As a smoke-free nation Scotland can look forward to a healthier future."

"The smokers' lobby group Forest, however, has condemned the Scottish Executive, accusing ministers of misleading the public over the health impact and economic costs of the ban";

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4845260.stm

"The group's Scottish spokesman, Neil Rafferty, said: "The ban will do nothing to improve the health of the nation, but it will give a warm glow to those who enjoy telling others what to do."

"The anti-smoking fanatics will use the ban to victimise and stigmatise smokers even further."

"They have used abusive and dishonest methods to make smokers feel bad about themselves, even comparing smokers to heroin addicts."

.... .... ....

"The Scottish Licensed Trade Association, which had called for a partial ban, fears 140 pubs could close and 2,500 jobs may be lost."

.... .... ....

"Individuals who flout the legislation face a fixed penalty of ??50.

The manager or person in control of any no-smoking premises can be fined a fixed penalty of ??200 for either allowing others to smoke there, or failing to display warning notices.

Refusal or failure to pay the fine may result in prosecution and a fine of up to ??2,500."

Full report;

"A ban on smoking in public places - including bars and restaurants - has come into effect in Scotland.

It is being hailed as a step forward for health but critics say it will cost jobs and infringe human rights.

More than a fifth of smokers questioned in Scotland plan to flout the ban, which came into effect overnight, a poll by BBC Five Live suggests.

The impact will be watched closely in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, where bans have also been planned.

Last month MPs voted in favour of a total ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in England, which is due to come into effect in the summer of 2007.

Reaction to Scotland's smoking ban

Northern Ireland is introducing a ban in April next year, while no date has been set yet in Wales.

BBC Radio's Five Live programme discovered that about 21% of smokers surveyed in Scotland planned to ignore the ban.

READ THE SURVEY

The findings in full [85k]
Most computers will open this document automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader
Download the reader here

A total of 1,000 adults throughout the country were questioned by researchers earlier this month.

Of the non-smokers involved in the survey, 37% said they would be more likely to visit pubs and restaurants once the smoking ban was in place.

Responding to the poll, First Minister Jack McConnell said: "We have to be realistic about this. There are going to be people who will be inconvenienced by the ban.

"I think that while we will see some people resisting over the early days of the ban, the vast majority of Scots don't smoke.

"The vast majority of Scots who do smoke want to give up."

Smoker in Scotland
The ban will give a warm glow to those who enjoy telling others what to do
Neil Rafferty
Pro-smoking group Forest

Mr McConnell said this was Scotland's "largest single step to improve its health for generations" and a day of pride for the nation.

Health Minister Andy Kerr also acknowledged the significance of Sunday's action.

He said: "As a smoke-free nation Scotland can look forward to a healthier future.

"A future where Scots live longer, families stay together longer and our young people are fitter and better prepared to make the most of their ambitions."

Dr Peter Terry, chairman of BMA Scotland, said the day would be remembered as "the time Scotland took a bold and politically courageous step".

He added: "On behalf of doctors across Scotland, I thank the Scottish Parliament for introducing this legislation that will help save lives which, for too long, have been cut short by the deadly weed that is tobacco."

SCOTLAND'S SMOKING BAN
Smoking in an enclosed public place - ??50 fine
Operators of premises face fines of ??200 for allowing others to smoke or failing to display warnings
Enforced by environmental health officers
No smoking signs will carry a named person to whom a complaint can be made
Complaints can also be logged by calling 0845 130 7250
Ban covers most indoor places and workplaces, not homes
Smoking allowed in shelters which comply with regulations

The smokers' lobby group Forest, however, has condemned the Scottish Executive, accusing ministers of misleading the public over the health impact and economic costs of the ban.

The group's Scottish spokesman, Neil Rafferty, said: "The ban will do nothing to improve the health of the nation, but it will give a warm glow to those who enjoy telling others what to do.

"The anti-smoking fanatics will use the ban to victimise and stigmatise smokers even further.

"They have used abusive and dishonest methods to make smokers feel bad about themselves, even comparing smokers to heroin addicts."

Research conducted for Five Live by Scottish Opinion suggests 21% of smokers plan to ignore the ban.

Those in their teenage years or early 20s were most likely to do so, the poll of 1,000 adults found.

No smoking sign
Smokers who defy the ban face a fixed penalty of ??50

The Scottish Licensed Trade Association, which had called for a partial ban, fears 140 pubs could close and 2,500 jobs may be lost.

Exemptions from the ban include designated rooms in some workplaces, including in adult care homes, hospices, offshore installations and submarines.

Smoking will also be allowed in police detention or interview rooms and in designated hotel bedrooms.

Almost 300 business across Scotland have lodged planning applications this year alone for shelters, canopies or beer gardens to make last-minute alterations in the run-up to the ban.

Individuals who flout the legislation face a fixed penalty of ??50.

The manager or person in control of any no-smoking premises can be fined a fixed penalty of ??200 for either allowing others to smoke there, or failing to display warning notices.

Refusal or failure to pay the fine may result in prosecution and a fine of up to ??2,500."
"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4845260.stm

A sad sight to see: A mother and father puffing away in their car while their children are sitting in the back seat.

Often I see this even with their windows completely closed -- no doubt they want to have the benefit of cool air conditioning.

I really relate to this because my parents were heavy smokers and my sister and I would pull our shirts over our nose to try and filter it. But, that was when we knew better at around 7 or 8. Really little kids just happily breath in the fumes.

Some parents think they are doing their children a big favor and protecting them by cracking the window, or even opening it a bit. However, most of the smoke and ashes as they flick it out just comes streaming right back into the backseat collecting there.

I would like to see parents arrested or cited for smoking in a car with children -- perhaps under something like "negligence, endangerment, or abuse."

strongvoicesforward said:
A sad sight to see: A mother and father puffing away in their car while their children are sitting in the back seat.
Often I see this even with their windows completely closed -- no doubt they want to have the benefit of cool air conditioning.
I really relate to this because my parents were heavy smokers and my sister and I would pull our shirts over our nose to try and filter it. But, that was when we knew better at around 7 or 8. Really little kids just happily breath in the fumes.
Some parents think they are doing their children a big favor and protecting them by cracking the window, or even opening it a bit. However, most of the smoke and ashes as they flick it out just comes streaming right back into the backseat collecting there.
I would like to see parents arrested or cited for smoking in a car with children -- perhaps under something like "negligence, endangerment, or abuse."

"The group's Scottish spokesman, Neil Rafferty, said: "The ban will do nothing to improve the health of the nation, but it will give a warm glow to those who enjoy telling others what to do."

"The anti-smoking fanatics will use the ban to victimise and stigmatise smokers even further."

The above quotes are very true i think, especially for you SVF. Its not that i disagree with what you are saying, but the above quotes apply extremely well to you and that is my point (by the way, if you fail to grasp what i am saying or choose to ignore it, like you do the vast majority of the time, this is not praise i am giving you).

On a slightly different note, i know an aweful lot of non-smokers who do not like the implications of the smoking ban simply because the governments are taking away another peice of their freedom- it may not directly apply to them, but its still freedom lost none the less, and these things add up in the long run.
Drinking/alchohol kills thousands of millions of people worldwide, far more than what years and years of smoking does, it tears families and livelihoods apart- if we apply the same sorts of motives for banning smoking to drinking, then the givernment is completely entitled to outlaw/ban that too. I'm sure there would be riots if they did, but it would be no different- it would be just another peice of freedom to do somthing as an individual lost.

I used to smoke cigarettes when I was younger and quit when I met my husband. It wasn't hard for me to quit even though I really enjoyed smoking and always kept an extra pack in case I ran out.

I know many smokers, and most of them except one have manners to smoke outside and care about keeping the smoke away from us non-smokers.

I used to smoke when I first went to college... I smoked for 2 years... then I noticed a strange phenomenon... every time I smoked I got a migraine... it was like shock therapy... I quit one day because I didn't want the migraines... and haven't smoked since... funny enough second hand smoke doesn't give me migraines... but strong odors like perfume do...
Here is an interesting fact... a few people who don't smoke are dieing of lung cancer the major one that comes to mind is Dana Reeve (superman's wife)... so I agree with what previous posters have said... lots of things kill you... I personally think obesity is more dangerous than smoking...
Here is a point of interest for people who smoke brand name cigarettes in the US... they are all sprayed with extra nicotine... in my stat class we dicussed how the tabacco industry justifies to the government that they have reduced the amount of nicotine they spray using statistics...
Personally I like to go into a smoky bar... smoke seems to give it an interesting atmosphere... at least to me... but I feel for the employees...
About that funny cough that smokers get... I have two co-workers who smoke on each side of me... the female smokes 'light' cigs and rarely stinks when she comes back from a 'break'... she doesn't have that annoying cough or gurgle but she gets sick all the time... the guy positively stinks when he comes back... so I asked him to not walk past my cubicle as the odor would wafts into my cubbie... I make him go the long way round... I hear him all day making gross noises... so I guess the point I was trying to make was it is an individual thing...:eek:kashii:

Neil Rafferty said:
The ban will do nothing to improve the health of the nation, but it will give a warm glow to those who enjoy telling others what to do.
It will be a long time before it can be proved whether or not the ban has improved people's health - although I'm sure bar workers will cite lots of anecdotal evidence in quite a short space of time. When I was 16 I went out with a smoker for about a year, during which time I suffered from a terrible cough and ulcerated throat. Within days of us breaking up the symptoms had disappeared. Although I can't prove it, I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence. I support the ban not because I like telling people what to do, but because smoky atmospheres make me very uncomfortable.
Neil Rafferty said:
They have used abusive and dishonest methods to make smokers feel bad about themselves, even comparing smokers to heroin addicts
If that is true, I think the comparison is unfair in that heroin is illegal and can kill someone much more quickly than tobacco. But I think it's true that most smokers are addicted to tobacco.
Tokis-Phoenix said:
On a slightly different note, i know an aweful lot of non-smokers who do not like the implications of the smoking ban simply because the governments are taking away another peice of their freedom
What about my freedom to be a non-smoker? Someone smoking near to me infringes that right.
Tokis-Phoenix said:
Drinking/alchohol kills thousands of millions of people worldwide, far more than what years and years of smoking does, it tears families and livelihoods apart- if we apply the same sorts of motives for banning smoking to drinking, then the givernment is completely entitled to outlaw/ban that too. I'm sure there would be riots if they did, but it would be no different- it would be just another peice of freedom to do somthing as an individual lost.
I agree that drinking can cause health problems - but smoking kills far more people. Between 1998-2002, an average of 86,500 in England people died each year from [URL="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1736598,00.html"]smoking-related diseases[/URL]. In 2004, 6,544 people died in England and Wales from alcohol-related conditions - in other words, smoking kills 13 times more more people than drinking. Even if we factor in alcohol-related deaths that are not so obvious, estimated to be as high as 33,000, smoking is still far, far more dangerous to the health.

More important to me is that my drinking does not directly affect your health - whereas your smoking directly affects me (not literally yours :relief: ). Before I was a boring old married woman, I used to go drinking once or twice a week in a smoky pub. Every time I went there the smoke upset me - it made me cough and sneeze, made my eyes sore and my clothes smell. But I don't remember a single incident in which someone else's drinking upset me. Irritated me maybe :eek:kashii: :D

As I have said before, I would support a compromise - all bars serving food or admitting children should be completely smoke-free (including beer gardens or patios), but adults-only bars where food is not served can apply for a smoking licence - I guess they could find staff who are smokers who wouldn't mind working there.

Tsuyoiko said:
As I have said before, I would support a compromise - all bars serving food or admitting children should be completely smoke-free (including beer gardens or patios), but adults-only bars where food is not served can apply for a smoking licence - I guess they could find staff who are smokers who wouldn't mind working there.

I agree, even though i smoke, i would also settle for a similar compromise.
There's a pub in my town which allows smoking, but where all the smokers sit there is ventilation right above them so the room/s do not become smokey. This also means smokers and non-smokers can sit together and the non-smokers will not be bothered about the smoke as it is sucket up into the vents right above them before it can disperse- i thought this was a cool idea, as although i smoke i can totally understand other people not liking it.
There are also plenty of non-smokers i know who don't mind smoking at all, i think a smoking license for pubs would be a good idea though.

Tokis-Phoenix, I am not sure what you meant by "smoking an illegal substance" in your poll. I have tried cannabis, but once was in India and the other in Belgium. It is legal in both countries.

Maciamo said:
Tokis-Phoenix, I am not sure what you meant by "smoking an illegal substance" in your poll. I have tried cannabis, but once was in India and the other in Belgium. It is legal in both countries.

The option basically relates to whatever is illegal and smokable in your country- cannabis is illegal (although not in all situations) for the most part over here in england, so if i tried cannabis in england in an illegal situation i would say yes, but if i tried it in a country where it was legal i would say no :) .

*11 year thread necromancy* :kaioken:

It's very hard to fully quit smoking. I usually fall in and out of it. The problem is I never should have started in the first place. As I probably have a predisposition to liking nicotine. I can quit for long stretches of time. Nevertheless, if I go out for a few drinks with friends, I may sometimes buy a pack or "loosies" (single cigarettes). I currently have a pack that I regret buying. Perhaps its the inhibition from the alcohol that lures me to it. My GP told me that once the brain gets hooked on it, its impossible to stop the urges; but you must resist.

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances you can do; ranked 3rd in the world. If you haven't done it, don't start.

Nevertheless, I can go several months without smoking, at a time. If I do, it's usually just a short day or two flirtation with it.

This thread is really old hahahaha.

but no i don't smoke nor would I ever want too

This thread has been viewed 68146 times.

Back