Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Brazil

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters
One only has to look at India's handling of the Commonwealth Games to see how population size and potential to turn that into a consumerist society can degenerate into farce. Ditto China, although they do have the political structures (i.e. dictatorship) to facilitate an effective Olympics . Both societies are too unwieldy, with huge amounts of backward infrastructure etc to sustain superpower status.

If they ever did, kiss goodbye to natural resources, as China is already consuming huge amounts of raw materials, and pushing global prices through the roof.

My vote is with the EU.

brazil alone, can't be the next superpower... but if latin america would stay united, i'm surely we would be the next superpower in the world.

Yes, China or India. But I think China is currently ahead of India in the race.

why do you think europe is attacking the arab world? for its oil. natural resources are the key. and latin american is called to be the next superpower.

I'm afraid it will be China. Unfortunately, the future is in Asia. But we, Europeans, must resist the insallation of the patriarchal and conservative values which are currently present in Singapore, Malaysia, China and even in many areas in Japan.

China, has some big issues to address in the next 20++ years. That is of its aging population.. currently at 13.3 percent of the population or 178 million people. The problem is that because of Chinas "one child policy (since 1978). Many children feel increasingly trapped by the responsibility of each caring for an "upside down pyramid" of two parents and four grandparents.

Source: The Telegraph China's population ageing rapidly by Malcolm Moore, 28, Apr 2011. However there is more information and Google is full of information on this population ticking time bomb. There will shortly not be enough young people joining it's workforce to keep up with world consumer goods consumption.

China has the numbers in population, however, in order for them to keep producing the worlds goods as they currently are they need workers.

They may also have a vast army, however, its not the number of "warriors" that keeps countries in power it the nuclear power .

At the same time, there is a sharp drop in the numbers of young Chinese, with under 14 (age) making up just 16.6 percent of the population, down from 22.9 percent. And China's economy is not fully developed.

China also has very little gas resources, and currently they are dependant on the Middle East, however, no doubt sooner rather than later they will be looking to Russia for their gas source.

India, also has the 1 billion plus population, however, currently there is still much poverty and uneducated people, and there is still a "caste system", that will hold them back from being number one anytime soon.

Melusine

being superpower is not only having a big economy. otherwise, most of the european countries would already be superpowers. a superpower must also have internal consistency, economical independence, a strong army, political and historical dominance, national culture etc.

the main problems of china, i believe, are loosing their economical independence and different ethnicities in the country, which will be used in the future by others to hedge their dominance.

Last edited:
Once a democratic country (in the future) China might get smaller if provinces decide to separate, as happened with Soviet Union.

Heh, no surprise the majority of votes are for China. It seems to be leaning that way but can't say for sure really. And military power isn't everything. It's not assured that the U.S. is done for in terms of economic progress, but unless something happens soon to change things, it's not looking that great. We need to bring manufacturing back, especially in creative ways with high or more advanced technology to differentiate from that of other countries. Robotics are already starting to replace some peoples jobs even in China from what I hear. Some bitter or jealous people accuse China of failing to innovate and just imitating, but they're making some real progress in public works, like those giant bridges and other transportation projects; no one else has managed to do that.

As for the E.U., if they can get their stuff together and get out of their crisis and cooperate, maybe they can come closer to unifying and filling in voids left by the decline of other powers. India, as well as the other BRIC countries, is another rising power to look at in the future; population does play a role in power, but they have to come out of poverty first. I don't mind countries like Brazil becoming strong regionally and asserting themselves in their area; that's not a bad thing necessarily. Maybe a unipolar hegemonic or bipolar world system isn't sustainable for too long.

Russia has been making somewhat of a comeback since it's immediate post Soviet days, but we still have yet to see how they will develop and what direction they'll take. Japan astounded many with its rapid progress in the past but things have also been slowing down a bit for them lately.

Robotics are already starting to replace some peoples jobs even in China from what I hear.

That's why creativity and jobs related to it will be the way of the future. All countries will have robots for manufacturing and physical work in 30-50 years from now. US or Europe can have more robots than China people, or even 10 times more, because robots can make new robots, etc. Who has the most creative power will win the race (if there is one), and of course, more energy and raw materials.

Last edited:
Haha.. Robots are out!
China is producing vast amounts of goods with very simple means and technology.
They use robots. but the main factor is cheap (slave) labour.

And there will never be a democratic China, as long as the west with the USA as 1st customer provides China with an ideal export market. China is countering capitalism with capitalism..
Very clever!

For background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

What country will become the next superpower?

Personally I think the European Union will become a single federal republic pretty soon. Europe already meets the criteria for a superpower so all they need to do is unify.

China and India come next because of their massive populations and fast growing technologies.

After that there really is no telling who will become superpower status. Russia may make a come back but they aren't improving that much compared to countries like India and China.

Brazil.......who knows. It is a pretty large country with a large population. Can't be for sure.

Japan has the second biggest overall economy in the world next to the US, but perhaps needs more land and more growth in population. But this will never happen because Japan's constitution forbids Japan to go to war except in self defense. And their population rate is dropping quite a bit (like most other developed countries). Still they could have gotten some land in Siberia, who knows. Maybe they can still buy land from Russia, a country that will do anything for money right now! And the government can award families. who have more kids. You never know.

Who do you think will become the next superpower and who will secede the next superpower after that?

I don't thnk there will be one particular superpower like the US used to be in the 20th century. There will be several blocks of powerful nations and alliances that will try to keep the balance globally and in favour for themselve regionally. And Europe, well it has to be seen if it becomes a super power at all - the alternative is becoming the playing ball of the other super powers.

I voted for China, but i think some attention should be paid to India. Although quite poor the Indian people seem to be extremely ingenious and business-savvy. It would not surprise me if they were one of the major superpowers along with China within the next two centuries. They have the potential.

I don't thnk there will be one particular superpower like the US used to be in the 20th century. There will be several blocks of powerful nations and alliances that will try to keep the balance globally and in favour for themselve regionally. And Europe, well it has to be seen if it becomes a super power at all - the alternative is becoming the playing ball of the other super powers.

Europe will be the playing ball of other powers as well as a huge historical theme park.:LOL:

This thread has been viewed 78336 times.

Back