Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

View Poll Results: Who Will Become The Next Superpower?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • European Union

17 25.76%
  • China

34 51.52%
  • India

3 4.55%
  • Russia

1 1.52%
  • Brazil

1 1.52%
  • Japan

2 3.03%
  • Other

8 12.12%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who Will Become The Next Superpower?

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%

Haha.. Robots are out!
    China is producing vast amounts of goods with very simple means and technology.
    They use robots. but the main factor is cheap (slave) labour.

And there will never be a democratic China, as long as the west with the USA as 1st customer provides China with an ideal export market. China is countering capitalism with capitalism..
    Very clever!

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 16.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman View Post
    For background info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower

What country will become the next superpower?

Personally I think the European Union will become a single federal republic pretty soon. Europe already meets the criteria for a superpower so all they need to do is unify.

China and India come next because of their massive populations and fast growing technologies.

After that there really is no telling who will become superpower status. Russia may make a come back but they aren't improving that much compared to countries like India and China.

Brazil.......who knows. It is a pretty large country with a large population. Can't be for sure.

Japan has the second biggest overall economy in the world next to the US, but perhaps needs more land and more growth in population. But this will never happen because Japan's constitution forbids Japan to go to war except in self defense. And their population rate is dropping quite a bit (like most other developed countries). Still they could have gotten some land in Siberia, who knows. Maybe they can still buy land from Russia, a country that will do anything for money right now! And the government can award families. who have more kids. You never know.

Who do you think will become the next superpower and who will secede the next superpower after that?

I don't thnk there will be one particular superpower like the US used to be in the 20th century. There will be several blocks of powerful nations and alliances that will try to keep the balance globally and in favour for themselve regionally. And Europe, well it has to be seen if it becomes a super power at all - the alternative is becoming the playing ball of the other super powers.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 297

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b4

Ethnic group
    English/British Isles

I voted for China, but i think some attention should be paid to India. Although quite poor the Indian people seem to be extremely ingenious and business-savvy. It would not surprise me if they were one of the major superpowers along with China within the next two centuries. They have the potential.
    'Wise men speak only of what they know' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 613

Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
    I don't thnk there will be one particular superpower like the US used to be in the 20th century. There will be several blocks of powerful nations and alliances that will try to keep the balance globally and in favour for themselve regionally. And Europe, well it has to be seen if it becomes a super power at all - the alternative is becoming the playing ball of the other super powers.
    Europe will be the playing ball of other powers as well as a huge historical theme park.

Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 16

China is a good country, all in all, i feel so comfortable.

3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1A
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H13

Ethnic group
    Armenian

probably Israel

Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 234

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockholmes View Post
    probably Israel
    Maybe in the middle east, but a world power? Unlikely, I reckon China will.

Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Vallicanus View Post
    Europe will be the playing ball of other powers as well as a huge historical theme park.
    I don't think so, federal Europe has potential to compete with the giants from other continents.

But the key is to create a federal Europe.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

How optimistic, considering that not so long ago (20 years?) Balkan ethnicities were trying to exterminate one another, and that the animosities in certain areas seem to still be astonishingly and grotesquely high.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Level

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    How optimistic, considering that not so long ago (20 years?) Balkan ethnicities were trying to exterminate one another, and that the animosities in certain areas seem to still be astonishingly and grotesquely high.
    People who lived in Yugoslavia have experience life in federal state. Yugoslavia was serious country with 22,000,000 inhabitants.

Yes, the country has fallen in difficulties in eighties, and unfortunately, after communists, nationalists and separatists in each republic had come to a position of decision-making.

They won, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, because Yugoslav federation was better than today weaker mini states (ex republics in Yugoslav federation).

Yugoslav federation should have market economy and democracy (after Communist party) but not nationalism and separatism. But it was gone.

Federal Europe with over 500,000,000 people is big potential and strength, for example giants with other continents has no special advantage in abilities of human resources, or another abilities.

Euro zone is good step in that direction, but it is impossible that currency union exists without fiscal union, and much more.

Future Europe, in my humble opinion, most preferably should be federal Europe, with one currency and fiscal system, and more, with all the prerogatives of state, including banking system, different ministries (finance, economy, health, policy, defense and so on), etc.

Such Europe can be very competitive compared with others (perhaps the leader).

OverdriveVeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 415

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

China for the next 30 years,

EU is at defensive stance and US sold everything to china, except military industry,

after china will be India,

when Chinese be the richest in the world, like today N americans and N Europeans, will rise India,

basic laws of anarcho-capitalism,
    Industry travel were salaries are cheap and production is allowed with no pollution criteria,
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
    People who lived in Yugoslavia have experience life in federal state. Yugoslavia was serious country with 22,000,000 inhabitants.

Yes, the country has fallen in difficulties in eighties, and unfortunately, after communists, nationalists and separatists in each republic had come to a position of decision-making.

They won, but it was a Pyrrhic victory, because Yugoslav federation was better than today weaker mini states (ex republics in Yugoslav federation).

Yugoslav federation should have market economy and democracy (after Communist party) but not nationalism and separatism. But it was gone.

Federal Europe with over 500,000,000 people is big potential and strength, for example giants with other continents has no special advantage in abilities of human resources, or another abilities.

Euro zone is good step in that direction, but it is impossible that currency union exists without fiscal union, and much more.

Future Europe, in my humble opinion, most preferably should be federal Europe, with one currency and fiscal system, and more, with all the prerogatives of state, including banking system, different ministries (finance, economy, health, policy, defense and so on), etc.

Such Europe can be very competitive compared with others (perhaps the leader).
    Garrick, one of many ways to divide people into groups is to divide them into optimists and pessimists. Perhaps you're the first. Maybe I'm the latter, although I actually think I'm just a hard eyed realist.

Maybe I tend to think that way because of my own temperament, or my own life experiences, or the history of my birth area. That may well be true.

However, I think I could make a good argument based on human nature and European history and the current attitudes within many European countries that it is doubtful that Europeans will be moving beyond their national identities and interests any time soon.

Imho, Germany is the only country that totally gained from the Euro. Now, it may be suffering because of the Euro as it has tied it too tightly to other more faltering economies. Bottom line, though, just generally, Germany is out to serve German interests. France the same. Britain certainly is of two minds about the issue. Italy doesn't even know its own mind or where its interests lie.

The worse the economy becomes the more it will be every country for itself, and the economy is getting worse. Even Germany's is tanking, partly because there are consequences to the adoption of the Euro that were unforeseen. Another issue, in my opinion, is that the economic policies adopted will not get you out of a depression.

It gives me no pleasure to say these things, in fact I personally wish it were otherwise, but it's the way I see it. People, and countries, keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It almost seems as if we never learn anything.

Specifically as to Yugoslavia, I don't want to get sucked into these noxious Balkan wars. As an outsider, an outsider who, however, saw a good number of refugees from there, I think to imply that the separatists were somehow to blame for everything that happened there is absolutely not true. There is more than enough blame to go around.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Garrick, one of many ways to divide people into groups is to divide them into optimists and pessimists. Perhaps you're the first. Maybe I'm the latter, although I actually think I'm just a hard eyed realist.

Maybe I tend to think that way because of my own temperament, or my own life experiences, or the history of my birth area. That may well be true.

However, I think I could make a good argument based on human nature and European history and the current attitudes within many European countries that it is doubtful that Europeans will be moving beyond their national identities and interests any time soon.

Imho, Germany is the only country that totally gained from the Euro. Now, it may be suffering because of the Euro as it has tied it too tightly to other more faltering economies. Bottom line, though, just generally, Germany is out to serve German interests. France the same. Britain certainly is of two minds about the issue. Italy doesn't even know its own mind or where its interests lie.

The worse the economy becomes the more it will be every country for itself, and the economy is getting worse. Even Germany's is tanking, partly because there are consequences to the adoption of the Euro that were unforeseen. Another issue, in my opinion, is that the economic policies adopted will not get you out of a depression.

It gives me no pleasure to say these things, in fact I personally wish it were otherwise, but it's the way I see it. People, and countries, keep making the same mistakes over and over again. It almost seems as if we never learn anything.

Specifically as to Yugoslavia, I don't want to get sucked into these noxious Balkan wars. As an outsider, an outsider who, however, saw a good number of refugees from there, I think to imply that the separatists were somehow to blame for everything that happened there is absolutely not true. There is more than enough blame to go around.

Yes, I’m optimist, because Federal Europe is better option than state each for themselves or group of states.

Yes, you’re right, implementation will be extremely hard. It should connect and harmonize many different interests and situations and deal with high resistance and interference factors (including foreign).

But, what’s alternative. Individual states have no chance to compete with giants from other continents.

Federal Europe should be main strategic goal. Of course, the path to this goal is hard, but every small victory and small shift, make good approximation.

Some experiences of Yugoslavia. Country was strong when it had strong leadership and leaders: King Aleksandar Karadjordjevic and President Josip Broz Tito. After them the influence of central government would fall and nationalisms and separatisms were strengthened.

My humble opinion is that Federal Europe, including all ministries, agencies and services that are necessary, must have strong leadership.

This includes the establishment of position of President of Federal Europe. Although modalities this position certainly will be different from the existing in the world, Federal Europe needs this position.

Can you imagine that the people from the South to the North of Europe, and from the West to the East of Europe, elect their president. And certainly they will be able to choose someone who has leadership skills, who will be able to inspire and motivate them, give direction, demonstrating purpose and guidance.

Therefore, the role of the President of Federal Europe should not be only symbolic.

Moreover I think that the crisis that emerged in 2008 and more or less continues today was partly because of lack of appropriate leadership, in other words leadership is needed.

1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German

A monetary union and/or a custom union will perhaps make it inevitable that there will be a more complete political union, in order to make it feasible to take the political steps necessary to alleviate the regional economic disparities that tend to be aggravated by such things as a currency union and the removal of barriers to trade. That certainly seemed to be part of the reason Prussia was able to create the modern German state in the 19th century - it seems to have been as much about economic realities as military might. But, given that many Bavarians still seem to prefer seeing themselves as Bavarians rather than Germans, there's reason to think that a pan-European political entity would be more popular with politicians and economists than with the general public. That certainly seems to be the case with the EU now, and I can imagine resistance growing as political amalgamation increases, particularly in those regions that have the most to gain economically, since they're apt to be the regions that have the most to lose socially from greater political union

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234